2.6

2009 Cadillac CTS drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Cadillac CTS:

2009 Cadillac CTS Owner Comments

Aug 242016

CTS

At 101,000 miles my 2009 Cadillac Cts AWD starting to "thump" when shifting from reverse to drive or vice versa. It also did it when coming to a stop. This started happening on a Thursday. I made an appointment for service for the following Wednesday at the dealer. On my way to the service appointment, the transmission failed one mile from the dealership on a busy highway. I managed to safely get the vehicle off the road without causing an accident. I called the dealer and told them what had happened. They didn't even offer to come and get me when I could see the building from where I broke down. I had to call a wrecker to bring them the car. They said my transmission was ruined and it would cost me 3995 to repair it. Needless to say, the car wasn't worth the investment. I had onstar for the entire life of the vehicle. I never received any diagnostic warnings regarding my transmission. I also took the car to the dealer for regular service. Never was I informed that my transmission was beginning to fail. In fact, the car had been to the dealer at 98000 miles for service. There were no warnings at that time that my transmission was failing. A transmission should not die at 101,000 miles. The fact that the car completely died while driving on a busy highway without any warnings of an impending problem is a safety hazard. I'm lucky to be alive. It appears that this problem is not unique to my car. This should have been part of a recall. Instead, I was unexpectedly forced to get another vehicle.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

May 032016

CTS

There is a jolting in the rear of the car that is acting like someone is stab braking.it does it at all speeds but does not do it all the time

- Booneville, KY, USA

Jan 072016

CTS

01/07/16, my wife and my son of 3 years were driving a 2009 Cts with 77K. All of a sudden the vehicle stops and won┐T move. No warning signs, nothing! as she tried to put the vehicle in gear she heard a whining noise. The car would not move.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Mar 252015

CTS

The spline on the transmission stripped out because of rust and I believe poor workmanship. The vehicle just went out of warranty two months ago. It will cost me aprox. $4000. To repair. Potential hazzard. If I were on the interstate it may have caused a terrible accident. When will GM have a recall so I can get my money back?

- Shavertown, PA, USA

Feb 172015

CTS 6-cyl

I purchased a Cadillac Cts and the timing chain is out. The engine light came on and I brought the vehicle to an authorized dealer and was told that this was out. I have googled this model and have found others to have had the same problem. Why haven't someone held this company responsible for placing a know fault part into their vehicle. I will never purchase another Cadillac and I will inform my circle of friends about the service and lack of care. This was my second Cadillac and my last.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Dec 072014

CTS 6-cyl

While driving I heard a loud noise from under the hood and the service engine soon light came on. Once able to stop I called onstar and asked them to give me a diagnostic. I was told that it was an engine error and to take in for service. I took the car to the dealer first thing the next morning. Was told my timing chain needed to be replaced. My car has less than 28,000 miles. Called GM/Cadillac was told that while there was a recall (#10287) for prematuring timing chain wear for certain 2009 Cts mine was not one of them.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Jun 042014

CTS 6-cyl

Key would not turn in ignition, could not shut vehicle off. This occurred after 9pm in the evening and there was no assistance available through the dealership or onstar to turn the vehicle off. Had to leave vehicle unattended and running in the driveway overnight risking an engine fire and could not shut off fuel supply or risking the vehicle popping into gear (or moving into gear by a child) and moving unattended.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jul 042013

CTS 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2009 Cadillac Cts. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph the vehicle accelerated on its own. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician tightened the drive shaft bolts to the transmission; however, the failure recurred after the vehicle was repaired. The vehicle not repaired after the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Dolton, IL, USA

Dec 122009

CTS

I was driving my 09 Cts-4 w/ 20,000 miles on 12-12-09 @ 40 mph when I heard a loud boom from the rear and the rear wheels locked. This caused a huge jerk and several skips on the road before coming to rest after a 150 ft skid (paced off skid marks). When I tried to drive the car from it's stuck position from the middle of the road, the exact same thing occurred @ 5 mph. The car was towed to a dealer. GM authorized the dealer to replace the rear differential assembly under warranty sight unseen. The dealer did not even remove the differential first to determine the damage or diagnose the cause. The service manager said there was no sign of fluid leakage and that the differential was full of fluid when it was removed. The differential has been replaced and there has been no problem since. Fortunately the car did not skid off the road. Had other cars been on the road, a crash would have occurred.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Feb 232009

CTS

When driving a 2009 Cadillac Cts the car generates a drone, boom and vibration. This happens when accelerating to or driving at highway speeds. I bought the car new and there has been a problem has been with this car since I took delivery from the Cadillac dealer. GM has issued a service bulletin (#08-07-30-044B) to install rubber insulators and reprogram the transmission control module. This "fix" did not help. It only moved the onset of the vibration to a higher RPM/speed. When the vibration occurs the car does not feel safe. I am not sure if a mechanical component is going to fail. The drone is constant, distracting and annoying while driving. There is also a boom noise at 5 mph when coming to a stop. This is not a smooth quiet safe car. The Cadillac service mgr says he does not hear anything. I do not agree. Cadillac also says the noises are inherent in the vehicle and have no fix. They are making no attempt to fix the car at this time.

- Elmont, NY, USA