2005 Cadillac DeVille steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Cadillac DeVille:

2005 Cadillac DeVille Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 042014

DeVille

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Deville. While driving approximately 35 mph and attempting to make a turn, the power steering seized. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road and the engine was turned off, which caused the power steering to resume normal operation. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 87,503.

- Tyler , TX, USA

Aug 042014

DeVille

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Deville. While driving various speeds during inclement weather, extreme force was required when making a right turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 022014

DeVille

Vehicle cuts off at random times while in motion. The car ignition cuts off all power to the engine and power steering when the car hits a bump, railroad track, or pothole. Bumping the column cover will also cut off the engine, and the power steering. The vehicle has had the key modification which would appear to have no affect on the problem of the ignition randomly rotating out of the on position.

- Booneville, MS, USA

Sep 042014

DeVille

Loss control of steering and brakes on 4 Sept and 7 Sept 2014, at intersection of mahan drive and warden road; the vehicle stopped by curb of the street, all traffic stopped. Re-start engine. Luck was on my side.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 042014

DeVille

When trying to make a turn on wet roadway (not a puddle of water) or trying to turn at a light for instance while it is raining, even at a low rate of speed, the power steering locks and the car will not continue to turn, causing traffic behind you to come to a screeching halt.after stopping the steering will slowly loosens up allowing you to complete the turn. I have had it checked out with my repair garage but they couldn't find anything. Since I am aware of this happening I'm very careful when making a turn in the rain. I'm thankful I wasn't on the interstate doing 60.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Mar 292014

DeVille

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Deville. The contact stated that the key failed to insert into the ignition. The contact had to call a locksmith who rebuilt the ignition. In addition, the air bag indicator illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and made a squeaking noise when turned. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 111,808.

- Folcorft, PA, USA

Jun 182014

DeVille

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Deville. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the vehicle swerved and crashed into a fire hydrant. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the failure mileage was 47,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 302009

DeVille

Intermittent -has happening more than a dozen times over the years- while negotiating a turn when the weather is wet (raining or shortly after rainstorm) the power steering freezes up for several seconds. Extremely frightening experience. Panic sets in if on the road (as opposed to a parking lot) because one becomes powerless to avoid oncoming danger and fearful that stalled position of vehicle (1/2 way through a turn) may cause accident for others. Want to know cause!!! want to know remedy!!!

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 102013

DeVille

While pulling into a parking space in front of a store car I went through a puddle of water. The steering immediately froze and the belt began to squeal. The steering came back within 10 seconds but for the ten seconds I could not steer the car. This is about the 10th time this has happened. I keep going to the dealership, they put on belt dressing but it does not help. Something needs to be done since this seems to be a common occurrence with the 2005 Deville.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Jul 082013

DeVille

Driving in rain and power steering froze up for about 10 seconds. This has happened a few times. You need to look into this safety issue.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Jun 012012

DeVille 8-cyl

I was driving home after a driving rain. The car made a screeching sound for several seconds and then the steering wheel froze while I attempted to turn right. This has happened multiple times. Therefore I do not drive in the rain. Also the problem persists even after the power steering pump has been replaced secondary to a leak.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 092012

DeVille 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Deville. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact drove over a puddle of water when the steering wheel seized for approximately ten seconds. The failure recurred seven times in rainy weather conditions. The power steering pump was replaced by the dealer three times. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 10/10/12

- Lynn Haven, FL, USA

Aug 172012

DeVille 8-cyl

During heavy rain or driving through water the steering completely goes out. Scared the living daylights out of me today....almost hit by a log truck while turning left into my neighborhood. Oct 2011 I took to dealer and they said that they have had other such complaints, but no recalls have been issued on this problem and they didn't know how to fix the problem. Does someone have to be killed before this problem is addressed? I saw the same thing happen a year or so ago to an elderly lady turning into our neigbborhood in her Cadillac Deville...she just stopped in the middle of a busy 2 lane road...luckily several people were at the intersection waiting to turn out of the neighborhood and were able to start the car and push it to safety. I didn't think anything about it at the time until the same thing happened to me...and I remember that the day it happened to my neighbor it was also raining. This is a major problem with an accident waiting to happen. Something should be done by GM about this before someone is killed! now I never drive my car when it's raining and if it happens to rain while I'm out my nerves are completely shot! I'd like to get rid of the car, but I could not in good conscience pass this vehicle onto another person knowing what I know about the steering issue.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Aug 122012

DeVille

I backed out of my driveway, shifted to drive, began driving on my street and the wheel came off and the car hit the ground. The drivers side ball joint broke. Had I been on the freeway, this would have caused a multi-car accident with injury and or death to many people. Oem ball joints, especially on an expensive car like a Cadillac Deville, should have a lifetime or the same life expectancy as the other major components, including the frame. It is an engineering defect (inferior metal strength and quality) for a ball joint on a Cadillac to "break" for no reason. It should be forbidden and punitive for a balljoint on a Cadillac to break before 300,000 miles. Why should consumers be forced to play russian roulette with their lives"??" a good quality product that is permanently lubed as in the Cadillac line, should be reliable for the life of the vehicle. Anything else is the same as attempted murder and should be forbidden or punished. The public must be protected from this type of suicidal journey in a reasonably new vehicle that has been maintained.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Sep 262011

DeVille

Steering will lock up when driving through standing water. Unable to steer right or left, can only steer straight ahead for approximately 10 seconds. Then steering will return to normal. This happens any time vehicle is driven through standing water at any speed.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Sep 052011

DeVille 8-cyl

In the past month power steering has failed in wet weather 7-8 times. To date this has happened when turning off city streets, but I am terrified that this will happen on the interstate and I will be unable to control the car. The steering re-engages when the ignition is turned off and back on. It also re-engages after several seconds if the ignition remains on. We bought the car new and this problem just started happening, but now happens everytime it has rained. I contacted Cadillac and they have no information or recalls despite what I found (on an internet search) to be a problem others have experienced on this model for years 2003-2005. Does someone have to be killed before this is addressed? I Transport my young grandchildren daily in what was supposed to be a large "safe" car. This is a very dangerous situation. Basically, I feel that we can no longer safely drive this car in wet weather and we live in Florida where we can't always predict if and when it will rain.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Jun 152011

DeVille 8-cyl

Temporary loss of power steering when driving through standing water puddles. Nearly impossible to steer for about 10 seconds, then returns to normal. Dealer can not duplicate. Reports splash shield intact, drive belt is not degraded and has proper tension to power steering pump. But problem still exists and is a potential safety hazard.

- St Charles, MO, USA

May 042010

DeVille 8-cyl

I had driven the car and parked it outside. When I went to drive the car approximately two hours later, I lost power steering for a few seconds when turning the corner. This failure has occurred September 2009, January 2010, March 2010 and May 2010 when I have notified the dealership service department. The Cadillac dealership replaced a pulley on the right side in March 2010 and we still have this issue. It happens inadvertently and it seems like after we had rain. The Cadillac is garage kept. Updated 06/29/10

- Evansville, IN, USA

Feb 272010

DeVille

My 2005 Cadillac Deville loose steering power when turning for about 20 second to 1 minute about 20 times in 3 years. This happens during the first couple miles of driving. Cad dealer can not confirm problem as it is erratic and only happens once in a while. I noticed that this usually happened when the weather is high humidity and I parked the car outside at night or during rainy day.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Apr 152008

DeVille 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Cadillac Deville. When the contact drove into an area with water puddles, the power steering locked up. He immediately applied the brakes and safely drove to his destination. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that water was getting onto the serpentine belt and causing the failure. The contact was informed that there was no current remedy to repair the failure. He stated that any time there is wet weather conditions and the serpentine belt gets wet, the power steering will fail. The manufacturer advised him to call NHTSA and file a complaint. The failure mileage was 32,000 and current mileage was 40,000. Updated 5/5/09 updated 05/06/09.

- Sanford, NC, USA