2004 Cadillac SRX drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Cadillac SRX:

2004 Cadillac SRX Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 202016

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Srx. While accelerating from a completed stop, there was an abnormal grinding noise coming from the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transfer case failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 145,000.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

May 012016

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Srx. While driving 30 mph, the contact heard a loud knocking noise coming from the middle or rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transfer case needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that the front driver side door failed to lock. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 012015

Hood hydraulics bar doesn't stay up on front.rear hydraulics hatch door doesn't stay up. Brake line is rotted yet was garaged for most of its life.caddy repair noticed this. Front and rear differentials are bad.they are leaking.brought it in because of the noise to mechanic and too costly to repair. Extended warranty was useless. They didn't cover it although it states they cover differentials if... loud noise on acceleration. Very costly repairs and dangerous.

- Berkeley Heights, NJ, USA

Feb 122013

SRX 6-cyl

The gear shifter was very loose and I was able to shift gears without the car running. Replaced gear shift linkage. ($150)

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Jan 112011

While driving down the highway and exiting on an ingress on the exit ramp I initially noticed a ratcheting sound from the rear of my vehicle. (I thought I'd ran over something so I got out and checked). After about another day I heard the sound again, while at the same time noticing my car not moving forward given the applied power that I was providing. Crawled under my vehicle again when I arrived at home only to find nothing. After a few weeks, and while leaving from a dead stop under load, or while trying to accelerate into traffic the car was not pulling properly causing me to nearly become rear ended on several (four) occasions that week. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who told me that it was the transfer case, and repaired for $2000. The same thing is now happening once again starting in Oct of 2014 and after doing my research on Cadillac forums, GM forums, Cadillac, car id,, just,,, NHTSA (powertrain/drivetrain problems), as well as this forum, I have found well over 647 complaints for failure of the transfer case in the state of Georgia alone. There were nearly 73,000 first gen Srx sold with AWD, and from all of the owners that I have gathered and from all that I have spoken with they have all had some problem. This is not a problem that is solely with the Srx, its also with the cts, as well as the sts. These $47,000 to $58,000 plus dollar vehicles are a road hazard not only their drivers, but to all that share the road. The Srx cases need to be recalled and (permanently) repaired or replaced. I ask all owners that spent their hard earned monies on these flawed vehicles, once again from GM, to call, write, and E-mail or do them all forums, your government officials, the NHTSA and have all of your attorney's on standby.

- Atlanta , GA, USA

Dec 282014

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Srx. The contact stated that while attempting to shift into park, the gear lever hesitated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 152014

SRX 6-cyl

Driving on highway doing about 70 car would not accelerate and made loud grinding noise. Car was stuck in neutral would not change gears.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Mar 082014

SRX 6-cyl

When the light turn green I put my foot on the accelerator and my truck start making a loud rattling / thumping noise. Once the 2004 Srx change gears then the vehicle is rolling with no problem. I took my truck to Cadillac and I have paperwork that say I need a bearing hub on the left tire thinking that's what the problem was but that was not the problem. I had the repairs done on both passenger hubs and still the noise is there. I went to several repair shops and some say the transfer case or the chain is slipping. I bought the vehicle at the end of February from a used car lot not knowing what I was getting myself into. I'm afraid to have my kids in the truck with me because when I take off fast the knocking will start. I have to take my foot off the accelerator and go slow until the truck pick up the right amount of speed to stop from hearing the knocking noise. If I'm at a stop sign or a light I have to take off real, real slow so I want hear the noise. I hate stopping because I fear that someone will hit me from behind for going so slow. It's very annoying when your spending your hard earned money on a vehicle and paying a note and this problem is not solve yet.

- Millington, TN, USA

May 312014

SRX 8-cyl

Random engine stall, after engine is fully warmed up and high humidity (especially during raining). Obd II code indicating P2135, P2119, P2176, P0638, P1101. (each time the obd II code might be slightly different) the engine could stall during idle (stopping in front of red light), slow moving, or highway speed. Persisted since summer of 2012. Dealer already replaced throttle body, coil pack, spark plugs and ECM. Dealer could not reproduce the problem, and could not figure out a fix.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Oct 142011

The contact owns a 2004 Cadillac Srx. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts and made a series of popping noises. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the transfer case needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- East Alton, IL, USA

May 092013

SRX 8-cyl

I was sitting at a stop light, in my car, with my mother in the passenger seat. When the light turned green I applied pressure to the accelerator and the back end of the car made a loud enough thump - I thought the axle broke off. As I continued to drive away from the intersection I looked in the rear view mirror for remains - there were none. My mother commented on the noise, I did not know what to tell her. She also has a cadi Srx, 2005. When she returned home she noticed the same noise in her cadi. Her husband said it was the "rear differential." Since that time their cadi was lost in a flood and they purchased another cadi Srx, 2008. This cadi also has the thumping in the rear differential. The thumping continues when accelerating from a stopped position. I have come to the conclusion all the Cadillac's have rear differential issues and there needs to be some kind of action against this issue. This needs to be addressed. My next step is to go to the better business bureau.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Apr 052011

Service stability system lights on display, car shudders as brakes ramdomly apply at any speed, pulling steering to left or right. Service ABS on display, traction control off, and service car soon all on display. Car has had transfer case failure, all 4 hubs had bearing failure, brake booster failure, power seat module failure, and.

- Heber Springs, AR, USA

Aug 172011

SRX 6-cyl

My 2004 Cadillac Srx also has the leaking pinion seal described in the following has leaked since I have owned the car but now is grinding. Should it not also be covered by GM" 2005 Cadillac Srx power train recall 07V589000 NHTSA: Action number: N/a service bulletin number: 07V589000 ?report date: Dec 20, 2007 ?component: Power train ?potential units affected: 275936 "manufacturer: General Motors Corp. Summary: On certain passenger vehicles, the rear axle pinion seal does not meet all of the specifications and may experience a fluid leak. Consequence: A rear differential failure may cause loss of motive power and possibly loss of control increasing the risk of a crash.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jul 012011

SRX 6-cyl

Attempting to leave gas station, car began to decelerate and the engine rev'd high. This was an issue with the throttle that cost over $600 to repair. Now, I am hearing a clicking noise at sudden acceleration, took to Cadillac dealer for diagnostic and they told me it was "something" in the transfer case and that they could not replace parts, that I would have to replace the whole thing at a cost of $3000! I definitely do not have the money to repair this item. This has really turned me off. I plan to purchase another vehicle and would love to buy american, but with this level of service and lack of care for the customer, I am going to look elsewhere. It seems there are several forums for this problem for the same year with the exact problem. Cadillac should provide better service for parts that they know are defective.

- Penndel, PA, USA

Aug 192011

SRX 8-cyl Diesel

2004 Cadillac Srx has a problem with one of the following, cv joint, torque converter, or the chain located in the transfer case. All of which cause the vehicle, when accelerated at a stop, on a hill, or traveling (at any speed) up a hill to make a loud popping or clicking noise. I have reviewed this and have a 6 page printout from one site on the same year and make of this vehicle problem with nothing being done, it is a hazard when turning onto a road and needing to accelerate to keep from getting rear ended, I feel for safety this vehicle needs to undergo an investigation and possibly a recall on this defect that the company has clearly overlooked.

- Canadian, TX, USA

Feb 152010

Srx 2004 has already had transmission rebuilt and I am trying to get throttle body also replaced after throttle did not respond and coasted backwards almost catching 3 teens running between my car and one behind me. Transmission was taken care of but hesitation on throttle has been continuous for over a year with no one telling me what was wrong. Just this week I was told throttle body needs replaced.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Nov 182010

Transfer case chain started slipping; push gas and vehicle wouldn't go; cost $1000 to repair; 2004 Cadillac Srx

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 202010

SRX 6-cyl

The key failed to be released from the ignition after turning off engine, the vehicle can be shifted from park to drive with out depressing brake pedal, with the car running or not, it did have the dealer do the recall service for the shifter. The problem occurred after service.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mar 042011

During routine acceleration the car accelerator became non-functional, engine went to idle, and engine warning light came on. After manual shut down engine ran normally. Problem was faulty control module on throttle body. Mechanic reported that on-board computer automatically shuts the throttle down when this type problem is sensed to avoid damage to engine. Complaint is that if this condition occurred while pulling out into traffic we could have been seriously endangered. Protection of the well-being of the driver and passengers and other motorists is more important than protection of the engine. This condition should be corrected on this model and prohibited on all models.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 212010

Key stuck in ignition, able to shift out of park with out applying the brake first. With engine off can shift from park. The car was service thru a recall for this problem in February 2010.

- Pembroke Pines , FL, USA