2004 Cadillac SRX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Cadillac SRX:

2004 Cadillac SRX Owner Comments

Jul 292016

Having just received a full clean bill of health from a ase certified mechanic at plaza tire auto service 1 day before, and having had 1200 dollars of safety and maintenance replacements by the aforementioned business the same day, a very serious engineering design flaw has been found. Without heretofore any warning or symptoms whatsoever, the power steering pump seized (pump had been checked by mechanic and was full and in working order, as were all other equipment requiring fluids). This caused the idler pulley to self destroy the mounting by which it is attached to the northstar engine block. This mounting point, rather than consisting of a wholly separate mounting or timing cover, is in fact part of the cast aluminum engine block itself. This renders the part impossible to fix, and requires the entire engine to be replaced by me!!! this is not only unacceptable of a GM product with only 131000 miles on it, it is obscene from an engineering and design standpoint. Immediately lost all steering capabilities.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

May 212015

SRX 6-cyl

Ac compressor froze when I turned the ac on. This in turn snapped my serpentine belt and my car broke down. Replaced serpentine belt ($150) and ac compressor ($500) was replaced along with condenser ($200).

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Oct 122015

SRX 6-cyl

My car wouldn't start and then the key would get stuck in the ignition and wouldn't turn. The theft security light came on. ECM engine control module was replaced and programmed. $1,000.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Jun 182014

I origanally took car in for bad engine in which potamkin dealer in manhattan replaced with a brand new one. This was in June of 2014 and I had to take it back about 4 to 5 different times for issues with the engine and that cause problems to the transmission. Theres too much problems with this car to even explain in detail and the car has been there over a year in and out.

- Bushkill , PA, USA

Mar 082014

SRX 6-cyl

When the light turn green I put my foot on the accelerator and my truck start making a loud rattling / thumping noise. Once the 2004 Srx change gears then the vehicle is rolling with no problem. I took my truck to Cadillac and I have paperwork that say I need a bearing hub on the left tire thinking that's what the problem was but that was not the problem. I had the repairs done on both passenger hubs and still the noise is there. I went to several repair shops and some say the transfer case or the chain is slipping. I bought the vehicle at the end of February from a used car lot not knowing what I was getting myself into. I'm afraid to have my kids in the truck with me because when I take off fast the knocking will start. I have to take my foot off the accelerator and go slow until the truck pick up the right amount of speed to stop from hearing the knocking noise. If I'm at a stop sign or a light I have to take off real, real slow so I want hear the noise. I hate stopping because I fear that someone will hit me from behind for going so slow. It's very annoying when your spending your hard earned money on a vehicle and paying a note and this problem is not solve yet.

- Millington, TN, USA

May 312014

SRX 8-cyl

Random engine stall, after engine is fully warmed up and high humidity (especially during raining). Obd II code indicating P2135, P2119, P2176, P0638, P1101. (each time the obd II code might be slightly different) the engine could stall during idle (stopping in front of red light), slow moving, or highway speed. Persisted since summer of 2012. Dealer already replaced throttle body, coil pack, spark plugs and ECM. Dealer could not reproduce the problem, and could not figure out a fix.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Nov 222012

While driving on California freeway, engine lost power and couldn't be restarted. Mechanic says that timing chains broke causing catastrophic, irreparable damage to engine and pistons. Apparently, Cadillac Srx owners have frequently complained of timing chain issues, but GM has not recalled these vehicles. Losing engine power on a freeway is a very dangerous situation.

- Solana Beach, CA, USA