2004 Cadillac SRX lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Cadillac SRX:

2004 Cadillac SRX Owner Comments

Sep 092016

Design and repair of daytime running lights (drl) is so poor that one is tempted to disconnect them. The drl bulb is the same as the turn signal bulb. Evidently, the housing for this bulb was designed in plastic, as is common with many light housings. However, the design failed to consider that the drl is on whenever the car is on. Over time, and frequently, there is a problem with either the bulb or the housing or the associated wiring, due to heat. Then, one or several of the components must be replaced. Not so bad, except that the overall lamp housing can only be accessed by removing multiple elements of bodywork. This can be difficult and time-consuming, then one gets to remove the actual housing, which is awkwardly placed for removing the retaining bolts. I have owned my 2004 Srx for three years and have encountered multiple failures of the drl and turn signals. Sometimes they start working again without repair, and sometimes repair is required. The safety issue is that we have drls for a reason, and we have turn signals for a reason. There are multiple blogs containing sad stories of how hard it is to make a bulb change, and I personally often see this model being driven (as I am now) with only one light working. In general, this seems a very safe and reliable car; seems that GM could have designed the bulb housing of a sturdier material.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 112011

While driving down the highway and exiting on an ingress on the exit ramp I initially noticed a ratcheting sound from the rear of my vehicle. (I thought I'd ran over something so I got out and checked). After about another day I heard the sound again, while at the same time noticing my car not moving forward given the applied power that I was providing. Crawled under my vehicle again when I arrived at home only to find nothing. After a few weeks, and while leaving from a dead stop under load, or while trying to accelerate into traffic the car was not pulling properly causing me to nearly become rear ended on several (four) occasions that week. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who told me that it was the transfer case, and repaired for $2000. The same thing is now happening once again starting in Oct of 2014 and after doing my research on Cadillac forums, GM forums, Cadillac, car id,, just,,, NHTSA (powertrain/drivetrain problems), as well as this forum, I have found well over 647 complaints for failure of the transfer case in the state of Georgia alone. There were nearly 73,000 first gen Srx sold with AWD, and from all of the owners that I have gathered and from all that I have spoken with they have all had some problem. This is not a problem that is solely with the Srx, its also with the cts, as well as the sts. These $47,000 to $58,000 plus dollar vehicles are a road hazard not only their drivers, but to all that share the road. The Srx cases need to be recalled and (permanently) repaired or replaced. I ask all owners that spent their hard earned monies on these flawed vehicles, once again from GM, to call, write, and E-mail or do them all forums, your government officials, the NHTSA and have all of your attorney's on standby.

- Atlanta , GA, USA

Nov 082010

Turn signals failed to work. This is an intermittent problem. The selected signal does not flash when the turn signal is activated as if the bulb is burnt out. Went to the expense to replace bulb three times, but, the bulbs were good. After replacing bulb the signal still did not work. After, several weeks it would start working again. A month or so later this happen again and took to dealer and again the bulb was replaced this time the bulb was burnt out. The signal worked for 2 months and went out again. I will never purchase another GM car. My dealer calls it the mystifying car. This is a manufacturing defect that GM will not admit to. Shame on GM, no wonder americans are going foreign. The cost to replace this bulb is $85 each time.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jun 112010

Turn signal/day time running lights burn out every other month. I have had the vehicle for 3 years and have had to replace the bulb and socket on both sides 6 separate times.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Nov 032008

Front turn signals do not work. Vehicle has been to the dealer no less than 6 times throughout it's life. I have personally changed 2 turn signal bulbs. I am an engineer... and the bulbs are fully functional after replacement. The bulbs "socket" is plastic with a wire. It appears the wire melts the plastic and the turn signal stops working prematurely. This might be fixed with bulb that is of all glass construction (which GM does not use and not available at the local parts store). Or possibly the turn signal circuit is using too much current for this application. Either way this is a certain design defect... noted on Cadillac forums. I just replaced another bulb and the next day it is not working again. The problem I find, is there is no way to fix this problem. There are no "faulty" parts to replace. It must be a design defect. And owners of these vehicles are a liability on the road.

- Waterford, MI, USA