2.0

2002 Cadillac SeVille steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Cadillac SeVille:

2002 Cadillac SeVille Owner Comments

Oct 132012

SeVille 8-cyl

My vehicle started to feel as if the steering was a little loose a few months ago, at one point I thought I had a flat tire, but I brought the car to a tire shop and they verified my tires were fine and they could not see any visible problems or leaks. About a week later I was driving down highway 610 and I temporarily lost control of the vehicle when trying to switch lanes, and almost side swiped a truck. The loss of control was only during the turn of the steering wheel, I gained control when I straightened the steering wheel and continued on home. On October 13, 2012 I got into my car and put the car in reverse, and the vehicle's steering was even more loose. I turned the steering wheel to the right and the front end made a clunk sound and the entire vehicle shifted upwards when I proceeded to turn the wheel. A mechanic verified that a missing bolt damaged the mounting strap, which also damaged the rack and pinion.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Feb 112004

SeVille 8-cyl

The intermediate steering shaft causes significant binding/ratcheting feedback through the steering wheel whenever it is turned. Cadillac has issued several service bulletins for this problem. At 45,000 miles (Feb 2004), per the sb, the dealer lubricated the splines of the intermediate steering shaft. At 75,000 miles the problem returned. Per the dealer, Cadillac redesigned the shaft and began replacing the original part per a new sb. The new part however also failed to correct the binding/ratcheting. Cadillac then issued another sb and returned to lubricating the splines whether the old or new design shaft is installed. Cadillac customer service was contacted and advises the car owner must take "ownership" of this problem, no assistance or permanent solution is available. The intermediate shaft was lubricated by the dealer a second time at the owner's cost. The lubrication of the shaft is not identified as a regular maintenance requirement. Cadillac has repeatedly failed to provide a proper resolution, providing only a band aid fix and now passes the responsibility to the individual owner. The problem will be exacerbated as these vehicles age and Cadillac has repeatedly failed to responsibly address the problem.

- Frisco, TX, USA