2005 Chevrolet Aveo electrical NHTSA complaints: Electrical System

NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2005 Chevrolet Aveo (Page 1 of 3)

2005 Chevrolet Aveo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Aveo:

2005 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 092014

Aveo

My 05 Aveo, is included in the GM recall#A140093/NHTSA recall#14V261(headlamp switch & drl). I have been experiencing issues with all of my external lights (my gauge cluster and shifter lights have been out). I was replacing every external bulb every few weeks to keep the lights on. That is not working. I am down to one headlight (driver side) working ¿¿ as far as running lights go. I have no taillights (brakelights work). I commute approx. 40miles each direction for work-all freeway. I made an appt w/Chevy, took the day off work so the car could be there all day.as I arrived to my appt the service writer told me there is not a remedy from GM yet so I will need to cover the cost. Eventually we went into the building to complete my write up, at that point I was told they were backed up on recalls so they may not get to my vehicle despite the appt. I reiterated the issue, he said okay, told me he would be in contact with me. At 3:30 he called, told me they hadn't had a chance to look at my vehicle but would get to it tomorrow. I took another day off work & left the car with them.next day, I called at 11am & I'm told they have yet to touch my vehicle & there are about 20 cars in front of me so they won¿¿T get to it today either.I could not leave the car another day, I told him I would pick it up. I immediately called GM explained the situation, their response was ¿¿what do you want us to do about it¿. I told them the car was unsafe and illegal to drive in this condition I needed it fixed. They told me they would contact another dealership and have them contact me. About 20mins later the dealership contacted me, gave me the same run around as the first dealership.this recall is 7mnths old, it took GM 10yrs to acknowledge it. This is unacceptable, I bought this car in good faith the basic functionality of the car would work and it does not and GM is not correcting the issue.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Nov 012013

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that burning wires fumes emitted inside the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the key released from the ignition while the vehicle was on and the radio failed to operate intermittently. In addition, the headlight malfunctioned. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Chocowinity, NC, USA

Sep 072014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the fuse burned and caused all of the windows to malfunction. The contact replaced the fuse, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Minot , ND, USA

Sep 062012

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the interior and exterior lighting failed to illuminate. In addition, the contact noticed that the center console in the instrument panel and the day time running light module was melted. An independent mechanic was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer informed the contact that NHTSA campaign id number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting) remedy was being investigated. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Wellington, OH, USA

Sep 042012

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the interior and exterior lighting failed. In addition, the contact noticed that the center console and the day time running light module was melted. An independent mechanic was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer informed the contact that NHTSA campaign id number: 14V261000 (exterior lighting) remedy was being investigated. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Wellington, OH, USA

Jun 132011

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the headlight lights, the parking lights, and daytime lights failed to illuminate. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnose that the main fuse box and wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 9/18/14

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Feb 122014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the instrument panel, interior and exterior lights were all inoperable. Also, the contact mentioned that the right signal light failed to function while the head lights were on. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The contact was made aware of a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number 14V261000 (exterior lighting). However, the VIN was not included. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 152014

Aveo

Something under the dash burned out spewing white smoke into the passenger compartment of the car. Since that time Aveos. Wondering if GM Daewoo may have been using multiple substandard electrical components, the ignition keys are always hot after driving. Is there any potential for the ignitions going out/shorting out on these vehicles? would hate to park my car in the garage and cause my house to burn down.

- Edgeley, ND, USA

May 062013

Aveo

Multiple problems, started with daytime lights going out, clock going out and coming on with correct time, dealer replaced clock and said daytime lights related and should be fixed, it was not. Next all the instrument panel lights went out, repaired by dealer again at my costs. Next the tail lights and brake lights went out. Each time it was the wiring in the fuse box under the hood. All repaired at my expense. The dealer acted like they had no idea of the multitude of electrical problems with the Aveo but I think they've known, just read some of the blogs-this is a very common problem. It's frightening to drive this car just waiting for a fire. From May 2013 to present I continue to have these problems. The daytime lights and now the clock again going out. The whole fuse box needs replaced as far as I'm concerned but the dealership keeps giving me the runaround--- no more Chevy or GM for me.

- Earlysville, VA, USA

May 222014

Aveo 4-cyl

While I am driving I often smell burning plastic I could not tell where it was coming from. I called GM and the representative told me that it was coming from my dash behind my steering wheel. I also have noticed that after I have driven anywhere my key, after I have taken it out of the ignition, is really hot. The longer I drive the hotter my key becomes. When I called GM about this problem the representative told me that she can not tell my why my key got hot. When I asked her about the recall on my car that I had seen on the news she told me that it is not an official recall and she can not do anything about it. They also informed me that I can take it into a dealership to get it looked at but it would have to be out of pocket. I have talked to GM multiple times and they have told me only that the recall would be VIN specific, I don't understand how it is VIN specific if I am telling them that my car is not right. I really would just like my car looked at for the parts that are supposed to be recalled before something bad happens to me or my passengers. I also believe that since this is a known issue I should not have to take it to a dealership to get looked at and pay hundreds of dollars out of my pocket.

- Ogden , UT, USA

Mar 242014

Aveo

1. multiple times, my driver side door lock has completely fallen into the door. I have probably had this issue "repaired" five to six times, by both the Chevrolet dealer where I bought the car, as well as my own mechanic. 2. things that were wrong when we first brought the car to the dealer for repairs in early April 2014. This is the list we gave them, modified for space: *clock a couple years ago, the clock in my car stopped working. Often, the clock would read 1:00 when I turned the car on, no matter what time it was. Sometimes, it would randomly display another time. Eventually, it just stopped turning on altogether. Player three times, the radio and/or cd player have turned on and off by themselves. This has not happened recently. The cd player sometimes works just fine. Other times, it does not. When it does not work, it does one of two things. It will either spin and spin and spin and then spit the cd out, or, more often, it will read "error 7." I do not know if the latter is connected to the other issues described here, but the former (the turning on and off) probably is. Daytime running lights the daytime running lights no longer work. My regular mechanic tried replacing the bulbs, but new bulbs did not solve the problem. I must manually turn the lights on. Reverse lights sometimes the reverse lights come on when I put the car in reverse. Sometimes, they do not turn on when I put the car in reverse. Interior lights/gauges about 10 days ago, all the interior lights and gauge lights stopped turning on, even when I manually turn the headlights on. The car interior is completely dark. Fog lights I believe these might not be working either. Interior dome light the interior dome light burned out. My regular mechanic replaced the bulb, and that fixed the problem. Right tail light the right tail light is out.

- Chester, VA, USA

May 252014

Aveo 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevy Aveo sedan that I drove approx. 5 miles and parked in my lot at approx. 11:30 am. When I returned at approx. 3:30 pm the inside of the vehicle had burned under the center of the dash and melted the dash, clock, radio, center console and wiring. In addition it burnt the carpet by the gas pedal, air vents were melted down into the dash, windows were all smoked and the inside has an odor of melted plastic.I feel that if the windows were not all rolled up the complete car would have burned.I feel this is at the fault of the drl module which there is a recall out for.

- Rossiter, PA, USA

Jun 032013

Aveo 4-cyl

I was driving and my daytime running lights first went off. The car still ran but the dash light indicating the lights were working also went off. This is something that happens intermittently. It can and has happened right when I start the car, or while driving on the road.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

May 132014

Aveo

In addition to the daytime headlights randomly shutting off, the clock in the center of the dashboard will disappear until I turn on the headlights then it reappears. ~ just before the vehicle stalls just after starting in the morning here in the fla. Sun, all the gauges go up then back down. ~ this 2005 Chevrolet Aveo lt hatchback, is having more and more electrical problems but the dealer, rosner Chevrolet, refuses to fix the problem without a charge, since the vehicle is not a fire hazard or on a recall list. ~ I feel as though GM and the dealer, are hiding serious electrical issues from the buyer either due the cost of repairing the problem or due to some of the manufacturing being done in South Korea. Or until people start dying from these problems. ( or until we start getting lawyers ).

- West Melbourne, , FL, USA

May 072014

Aveo 4-cyl

I was driving home from picking my kids up from school when my all my gauges stopped working. Then my brake lights and tail lights stopped working and then my car died while I was turning left across a two lane highway. My wife and 3 kids were nearly T boned by a semi. Two days prior I had to have the ignition replaced. I have seen hundreds of complaints about the same problem. I think GM should have a recall before somebody is killed over their faulty wiring.

- Centerville, IN, USA

Apr 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Aveo. Consumer writes in regards to hot ignition key issues. The dealer informed the consumer, he would have to pay out of pocket, to correct the problem.

- Sturgis, MI, USA

Sep 042007

Aveo 4-cyl

I have had this car for awhile it had 13teen miles on it when I got it and the censor light do not go off I had them replace and it still do the same thing and the brake switch get stuck often and I do not know if my brakes lights are on most of the time when I stop and with the engine light not going off it very hard to register my car this is not right and has cause alot of hard ship for me and I have to drive my car for my job 100% of the time what can be done and I see other have had the same problem with this car too.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 232014

Aveo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Aveo ls. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the entire instrument panel failed to illuminate. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the fuel box splice connector was burned. The fuel box and wiring harness would require replacement. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Dec 292013

Aveo 4-cyl

First, the interior dash lights stopped working on my 2005 Chevy Aveo. Then on my way back to my college the tail lights and brake lights stopped working. I had not known this until I was almost rear ended by an 18-wheeler who could not tell that I was hitting my brakes! finally after bringing the vehicle to the dealership it was determined that the gray and white splicer at the top right-hand corner of my fuse box, which connects the wires in the fuse box to the engine wire harness, was so badly burnt from the wires shorting each out spontaneously. They want to charge me $1,290 to replace the part, and that is not including labor fees! in hope to find a cheaper alternative, I called every junkyard and U-pull it location and none of them had the connector because they had already been pulled out and sold since this is such a common problem. As a college student who is paying her own way, I cannot afford to take care of a problem like this, especially when it is a manufacture defect! I heavily rely on my car to get to school and work, and it is terrible to be in such a predicament. I understand this is a very common problem with the same year make and model vehicle. It is absurd that we put our trust into 2005 Chevy Aveos only to have our lives put in danger when using them and then have to pay such a large amount of money to fix an issue that the manufacture is ultimately responsible for. There should be a recall for these issues! especially since so many people have been putting complaints in about it as early as 2007, only two years after the car was made! how many lives have to be put into danger before the right party is held responsible for this?! something has to be done about this because it's not fair!

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jun 032013

Aveo

I have had trouble with fuses and shorts due to bad engine fuse box I have paid to have fuses replace 5 times they keep burning and shorting out due to bad fuse box. No one seems to know how to fix problem lights go on, and off, inside light wont work, horn wont work, running lights wont turn off, O2 fuses wont work I need help I need to know how to repair for good.

- Brownsville, TX, USA