2009 Chevrolet Aveo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Aveo:

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 122014

Vehicle just locked up, and I was forced to coast down a hill from my houseintyo uncoming traffic.. this has been the second time this has occurred with this vehicle, the first ime, I called triple aaa and had the car towed to arroway Chevrolet dealership in mount kisco NY. This is where I purchased the vehicle. This occured with a 2005 Chevrolet cavalier tht I purchased from arroway in mount kisco, it occured so frequently, that I turned it in and purchased the Aveo. Unfortunately, the same thing is happening with this car.

- Mount Kisco, NY, USA

Oct 092013

Aveo 4-cyl

The car lost power for no reason. It did not fully stall but lost power and would not respond. It would lurch forward, barely go, then recover slightly. This happened sporadically and was frightening and dangerous. The battery light began to go off and on. Mechanics could find nothing wrong and battery ok. In November, car lost power in traffic, almost had wreck, barely made it to shop. "strangely swollen" battery found and replaced. Computer and all systems checked. Incident happened again. Back in shop. Clutch replaced, tube replaced in engine, etc. Cost $ 1500. Car seemed to run fine but only for days. Began doing same thing again. But when I take it to mechanics, can't find anything wrong because problem comes and goes. It seemed to possibly be triggered and happened more often if I used onstar built in phone. Had it turned off and thought that somehow fixed problem but it happened again yesterday in traffic with my 93 yr old mom in car. Terrifying.. can't get out of way if car coming in intersection. No one helps me find a solution. I contacted GM online they said they know of no such problem. Hundreds of posts online from Aveo owners with same problem. Someone is going to die if this isn't made public.. we need a recall. Help please!

- Decatur, GA, USA

Dec 052013

Aveo 4-cyl

Car was undrivable due to engine miss on 12/5/13. Called harbor Chevrolet in Michigan city, Indiana to report problem and ask for service. Service appointment was not available for 5 days, so sought diagnosis at local shop. Local shop indicated faulty coil/sparkplugs was issue (local mechanic was classic imports). Owner purchased spark plugs and coil (parts purchased from harbor Chevrolet parts department) and replaced these parts the next day. Car ran fine. Owner found out that car had a recall for coil/plugs on January 14th, 2014 from GM through onstar notification. Owner contacted dealership for reimbursement of diagnosis and parts cost of $365.87. Harbor reimbursed only for spark plugs-$88.84. Owner contacted Chevrolet and Chevrolet indicated on plugs and boots were part of service bulletin not coil.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 132013

Aveo 4-cyl

The Aveo lt was on I-85 ramp downtown atlanta trying to build speed when it stalled at an area where there is little side access. Car cooled off and was re cranked and brought to North end of atlanta for further inspections to see if the problem could be duplicated. Car rpms were noted to vary up and down and then stalled without warning at a major intersection where it was almost T-boned on peachtree industrial blvd norcross, ga where the speed limit was 55 mph. Multiple obd codes were extracted ( a total of 6 ). car was further examined by ase mechanic shop that states that the vehicle ECM loses communication with sensors and other computers under these conditions. Ase mechanic states that ECM should be replaced. GM car dealer ( rick hendrix GMC - duluth, Georgia ) states that GM procedure is to apply sb pip4789C replacing front O2 sensor as a starting point to repair car using a newer O2 sensor that was made later than a certain date and to update ECM with newer software. GM dealer states there is no need to drive the car to duplicate problem and to review using a scanning tool as the GM procedure is to be used and will be adequate. This situation is clearly dangerous. If a simple O2 sensor could suddenly could cause a known problem of this type in accordance with the GM sb then it should be covered by the 8/80K emissions warranty. If the ECM can lose communications with other essential items and cause a problem of this type that should not only be covered under the emissions but it should also be placed on recall. As an engineer with 36 years experience I am a failure of this type. A person can be psychologically conditioned that their car is running fine and then at the next moment it completely stalls and may not allow them to clear an intersection.

- Berkeley Lake, GA, USA

Dec 312012

Aveo 4-cyl

So we bought this car and noticed that it would lose power, buck, jerk, and sometime die. Usually after dying it will start right back up and drive fine for a while. We took it to a repair shop that told us to replace the throttle body. After we replaced the throttle body and had the dealer program it the problem persisted. We bought a new ECU from the Chevy dealer and had them install and program it and the problem persisted. We replaced the coil pack for the second time in this vehicles history with no luck, same problem. Drained the fuel tank and installed a new fuel pump...... same problem.... amidst all these part replacements the car has been to the local Chevy dealer at least three times and now a fourth time they finally called me after a week and suggested that they clean the throttle body.... I explained that it is brand new and should not need cleaning. They still apparently have no clue what's wrong with this piece of junk that is only 4 years old! between the Chevy dealer and our own time we have spent over $2000 dollars and the car still won't operate correctly.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jan 062010

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer numerous times and they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer had not been notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000....updated 07-10-13 the consumer stated as he pulled out into traffic, the vehicle stalled in the middle of the intersection. After about 10 seconds, the vehicle finally accelerated. Updated 07/18/13

- Limestone , TN, USA

May 292009

Aveo 4-cyl

My step daughter bought a brand new Aveo 2009 is has been in for repairs 13 times for the same problem. It will run fine then will not go over 20mph this has happened several times while she is driving on highway at 65 mph has almost caused her and my young granddaughter to be injured. When she starts the car the clock will reset its self to 7:23 no matter what time it is that is usually the first sign it is getting ready to turn into a death trap. O2 sensor has been replaced car is again in shop they are telling her they can't find any problems but think it could be the O2 senser want $600 to replace. Her check engine light has not come on. Car is no longer under warrenty. We have contacted dealership where she bought it no help from them. Contacted Chevy asking them to admit it is a lemon and do the right thing no help from them.

- Wheatland, WY, USA

Feb 042013

Aveo 4-cyl

I have only had this car for 6/7 months before I started having problems. First the passenger door stopped opening and then the interior lights went out within the first 3 months. I was on my way to work one day and the car started decellerating until it just stopped. At first this was an off an on issue but now it wont start at all. I replaced the ignition coil and spark plugs, just to find that there was a recall I wasnt aware of, but the car still wont move and the battery is dead now.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jun 292012

1st time-I was driving and my car started to sputter and when I hit the gas pedal for acceleration nothing would happen, the RPM would raise and the car wouldn't accelerate. 2nd time- same as above but stalled after sputtering 3rd time-sitting at a light when the light turned green I couldn't move(pushed gas all the way to the floor with no results) 4th time-driving and it started to sputter aggressively and un able to get power and then stalled. 5th time- pulled out of parking spot and couldn't get any gas could only coast, in a half mile distance it stalled 3 time when I finally parked it and called a tow truck. **each time the car acted up I took it to the dealership and each time they tell me there is nothing wrong with it they couldn't get an error code. 5 times being in the dealership, the 3rd time they said they received a low idle code and did a decarbon costing me $53, put that didn't help. The 4th time it was at the dealers I was told to drive a long distance and open up the engine (are you kidding me) there is defiantly something wrong with this car! this could be very deadly if it happens in the wrong place.

- Shelby Twp , MI, USA