8.3

2. new exhaust system, higher grade gasoline (1 reports)
  3. replace coil pack n spark plugs (1 reports)
  4. Replace starter coils (1 reports)
  5. starter coil shot, replaced it (1 reports)
1999 Chevrolet Camaro engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Chevrolet Camaro:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Nov 082007

Camaro Coupe 3.8L V6

car was misfiring when driving but engine would idle great when stopped or in neutral.check engine came on.i rented a scanner from Autozone and it said it had #3 cylinder misfire so i changed the 3 coil and solved the problem.but before that i gave a tune up changed filters to no avail.also car sometimes misfires a little then stops and check engine lights up n stays.was told it was normal for these cars to misfire once in a long while because of a factory mishap on the way that they positioned spark plugs or something like that.

- , Hanford, CA, USA

Jul 312007

Camaro 3.2L V6

I was told in having my exhaust system changed out that years of REGULAR gasoline had destroyed all the sensors throughout the exhaust system and the whole thing had to be replaced. The car did not want to start, stalled out at the red light, service engine soon light would not go out, converter was so clogged that when pounded on the ground lots of what looked like black ash kept coming out. I was told that the engine might have damage from within as well. So, I had the entire exhaust system changed out and started using a higher grade of gas (such as Super Unleaded) and all the problems stopped. KNOCK ON WOOD, I've yet to experience another problem.

- , Eustace, TX, USA

Jun 152006

Camaro

it was one of the starter coils. it was fried and that was why my engine light was coming on and no power to my baby.

- , Racine, WI, USA

Jul 052006

Camaro RS

When accelerating it will stall out and finally pick up and run. It happens everytime you turn the car on. Replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wiring, and MAF sensor

- , Rock Island, TN, USA

Jun 152006

Camaro Convertible

My car started cutting out at about 2000 RPM in all gears. I took it in to the mechanic, they said my Catalytic converter needed replacing, which another mechanic told me too, but that didn't fix the problem. They replaced spark plugs, wires, ignition coils, MAP sensor, throttle position sensor, and nothing works. They keep getting codes in the computer of misfires that switch depending what they replaced last. They chased the problem and now have sent it to the Chevrolet Dealership that came up with the same possible things to replace. My mechanic told them they already tried all that and now the dealership is guessing at replacement of the wiring harness which will take 8 hours at 80 bucks an hour. It may still not work. I don't know what to do, cause they're going to charge me for their work even if it doesn't fix the car which sucks. Anyone else find anything else on this??? I read some dude with a 2000 chevy impala had AAMCO find a loose computer ground wire, but nothing else so far. HELP!!!!

- , Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 142005

Camaro

No one at the car dealer could find out the problem with all their diagnostics, my own personal mechanic found out the problem after 3 hours of searching, and now my car runs like a purring kitten again.

- , Racine, WI, USA

Nov 062003

Camaro

The Camaro is driven by my son and we have had to put quite a bit of money into it lately. It was purchased used and needed a new alternator before we left the dealership. The car has been running very poorly and seems to cut out when accelerating, especially going uphill. At this time the check engine light comes on. We took the car in a few months ago and they said it was the transmission. We had that replaced which cost $1800.00 and the problem didn't go away. Then we took it to the local Chevy dealership and had them run a diagnostic which cost $300.00. They said they could find nothing wrong and the car still runs poorly! My husband drove the car and said it seems like an engine problem, not transmission. We are completely fed up with the incompetance of the service centers in our area and their seemingly total ignorance about cars. Please advise as to what you think may be the problem before we waste even more money.

- , Tulsa, Ok., USA