2010 Chevrolet Camaro drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro:

2010 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 212016

Camaro

Check engine light came on. Car was in motion. Took to dealer for diagnosis: Need to replace the timing chain on a car with 44000 miles on it. Car usually sits in winter. All maintenance has been performed by the dealer. Ordered the car and purchased it to keep it. Always hand washed. It is the V-6 engine and I understand that they will only repair this engine on Cadillac & some Saturn models. It is the same engine used in various vehicles. I feel that this is very premature. I have never had to replace a timing chain. I understand that the gears are plastic and the chain is metal. I do not feel that this should be a cost to me as this is designed to fail. Im sure I am not the only one this has happened to.

- Fraser, MI, USA

Jul 202016

Camaro 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. While accelerating at low speeds, the vehicle barely accelerated and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the metal timing chain damaged the plastic timing gears. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 09/27/16 updated 10/05/16.

- Daleville, AL, USA

Jul 112016

Camaro

Engine check light came on and I took the car to pine belt Chevy in lakewood, NJ. Engine code P0008 & P0017 for camshaft position correlation on 3.6 V6 engine. Vehicle diagnosed as needing timing chains. Car only has 52,721 miles on it. Estimated cost to repair $3,000. Research indicates that GM has a recall on many different makes and models for timing chain failure with the 3.6 V 6 engine with the same timing chain part numbers. GM has extended the warranty to 10 years and 120,000 miles on the affected makes and models on all vehicles except the Camaro. GM bulliten 10287. GM needs to step up and include the Camaro to its timing chain recall.

- Brick, NJ, USA

May 302016

Camaro

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. While shifting into second gear, the contact heard a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle lost power and stalled. Upon inspection, it was determined that three bolts that attached the driveshaft to the differential had sheared off, which caused the driveshaft to detach. During the incident, the heat shield and fuel tank were also severely damaged. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 13,500.

- Muskego, WI, USA

Jan 012015

Camaro

The vehicle displayed a trouble code on the dash. I took it in to get a reading for the code and it appears to be a P0008 error code. After searching, it seems this code is relating to the timing chains within the engine becoming stretched. It also seems that a lot of owners are seeing this error with their own vehicles and dealer is charging anywhere from 2 to 3K to get the issue resolved. To quote another complaint that I saw regarding the same issue: " when is GM going to address the problem of the timing chains on the Camaro as it has the other models that have the same problem. It is ridiculous for GM to expect the buyer to come out of pocket for a problem that is a known manufacturer problem and not caused due to anything done by the buyer. "

- Victorville, CA, USA

Mar 132015

Camaro

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into third or forth gear. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Peralta, NM, USA

Mar 032014

Camaro

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph and shifting from second to third gear, the clutch became stuck. The contact was able to release the clutch but the clutch would not function and caused the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Nov 082014

Camaro 6-cyl

2010 Camaro rs, V6 manual transmission: Passed a car and tried to shift down but the clutch would not shift the car down to 5th. Tried clutch again and all it would do was move around and never catch. Same with the stick shift. It would not go into any speed. It was like the clutch, would move around from 1st - 6th like this was a toy I was trying to shift. Also, I could not brake the car with the regular brake or emergency brake. While this was going on my car was increasing in speed and the motor revved to the point I thought was going to explode. The only way I could stop it was to turn the car off. When I did this L lost steering and headlights. Coasted to a stop finally. Had onstar run a diagnostic on all the car and they said everything was showing up ok. Talked to roadside and they said what I was describing was a burned clutch. The car smelled like it was on fire. Took it to a GM dealer and they said I needed a new clutch and flywheel for $2400. I have to pay big dollars for a repair that almost killed me, and now I find out this is a common problem. Come on GM you got lucky with me or you could of had another fatality.

- Mineral Springs, AR, USA

Oct 082014

Camaro

On October 8th the vehicle was parked while running ( South Texas heat I wanted to cool the car off ). the vehicle is equipped with the 6spd manual transmission therefore the vehicle was in neutral, the hand brake was engaged. As I walked away from the vehicle which was parked in my driveway I heard a loud popping noise. It was loud enough to cause alarm, when I looked back at my vehicle it was rolling out of my driveway & into the street. I was able to jump in & apply the brake before it caused any damage. I immediately called my local dealership to have the vehicle inspected & repaired, I explained to the lady who assisted me what the issue was, she wanted me to take the vehicle in on 4 days after the incident. I found this to be unacceptable. Since this was a huge safety issue I was not willing to wait that long to have it repaired. I took it in on the 9th & was told on the 10th that the cable to my hand/parking brake had indeed failed & busted. I was also told that this would not be covered by GM. I asked how this could have happened on a 4yr old car that is usually parked on flat surfaces & in gear with the handbrake engaged as the owners manual suggest. I was not given an answer, I have reported the incident to GM's & am waiting for a response. My vehicle was repaired under my extended warranty.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Camaro 6-cyl

Clutch pedal stayed low to the floor intermittently and stays low during hard acceleration for a stop and during a shift. The 9/1/2014 incident I was on the interstate going 70 mph and down shifted for exiting. The clutch stayed to the floor as I came to a stop and would not return. Car was turned off and restarted. Clutch still did not return to operating position. I had to speed shift the vehicle to drive it to a dealer for repair. Repair was not covered by the warranty and has not been recalled. I believe this is a manufacturing defect and a safety issue. If a driver panicked in this situation it could have resulted in injury to the driver and passengers in the car and possibly other travelers.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Aug 122010

Camaro 6-cyl

2010 V6 Camaro 6-speed manual trans grinds when shifting into 2nd gear while merging into highway traffic at higher rpms. Thought it was driver error until researching the problem. Turns out many people are having the same issue and it is said to be that the stock brass synchros in the manual transmissions are at fault.

- Riverview, MI, USA

Aug 152013

Camaro 6-cyl

Original oem clutch failure due to bad design, no replacement part available from GM. Failure of clutch at high speeds could cause damage and possible death to driver and other surrounding vehicles.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Mar 012013

Camaro

Car will not go into first or reverse. Shifts fine in other gears and when car turned off. Took to dealer who said clutch was worn at 50,000 miles because I was too hard on it? I don't race, hot rod etc, that's why I bought a V6 manual for durability. Am only owner only driver. This is not my first manual transmission vehicle and to have a clutch go bad at 50,000 miles is pre-mature and unacceptable and costing $1700 GM is the only ones making clutch so I was forced to go to dealer and pay for repairs for a factory issue that caused early clutch burn out and false "ok" diagnostic on transmission. Turns out alot of other owners are having the same problem and its costing us $$$. any mechanic driving this car said "this is a transmission issue, not a clutch". a car not going into gear is not the clutch. There was no grinding of gears, it just wouldn't go despite force and clutch pushed all the way in numerous times.

- Belton, TX, USA

Feb 212013

Camaro 8-cyl

Bolts on the drive shaft are defective and breaking off the drive shaft. Car begins to vibrate heavily on stick shift and steering wheel. It is also represented and equally explained on other web pages regarding the Chevrolet, Camaro products, same year or newer. After inspection two of three nuts and bolts either broke off or came off, leaving one bolt to control the torq and horse power traveling down the drive shaft. Vehicle was hard to maneuver and clear off the road to a safe location.

- Leander, TX, USA

Nov 042010

Camaro 8-cyl

At 3900 miles, the right rear halfshaft drive axle failed on 11/04/10. At 6907 miles, the car suffered another catastrophic powertrain failure. The full extent of the damage has yet to be determined. The known damage included, driveshaft, transmission, transmission shifter, and exhaust. The failure occurred during 5pm rush hour traffic at @ 35mph, with a grinding noise, and vibration as the only indicators that a failure was imminent. The failure occurred with traffic surrounding the vehicle at a relatively slow speed. Had the same failure occurred at 55mph, or interstate speeds in excess of 55mph, the outcome could have involved fatalities.

- Kershaw, SC, USA

Oct 212011

Camaro 6-cyl

My car will not downshift into 2nd gear from any speed. My car will also not up-shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear at high RPM's.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 152011

Camaro

Tried to shift gear to first but the gear wouldn't engage. Clutch pedal was stuck to the floor and not releasing. Towed car to dealership and after inspection I was informed that the clutch was worn and the pressure plate and flywheel had to be replaced. Final cost $1965.77. Not covered under warranty. 10/15/11 the same problem has occurred less than thirty days after repairs. Drove car 200 yards and clutch pedal was stuck once again, gear wont engage. Discovered fluid leakage. Taking car back to dealership hoping to get a refund.

- Shaker Hts, OH, USA

Sep 212010

Camaro

The AY6 manual transmission is missing and grinding while attempting to shift into the second gear during engine operation above 5500 RPM. With the clutch pedal fully depressed shifting from first to second gear accommodates a violent grinding sound originating from the transmission area. The transmission does not have grinding/hesitation or missed shifting into any other gear, except the second gear. A vast majority of manual transmission V6 owners have been reporting the same issue. Some owners have gotten their transmissions replaced by GM only to have the same problem reoccur. This is a major safety issue as any missed shifts may lead to a serious accident.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jul 112011

Camaro

Vehicle will intermittently, not go into second gear, and has almost caused me to be rear ended about 4 times now. Vehicle is a standard V6 and has intermittent gear clash going into gears. Wife will not even drive vehicle now cause of this. I had sent an E-mail to you on this already, but want to make sure you got it as I have three other friends that traded in their V6 manual transmission Camaro cause of this. All because GM, fails to address the issue they already know of issues from us V6 Camaro owners complaining. My two dealers have been great, but only so much they can do unless GM addresses this issue. If GM, fails to address, their issue with this transmission, I will see a lawyer about this and go after them, it has become a big safety issue now in traffic. P.S. vehicle has what GM call transmission a AY6 transmission, that they put in the V6 Camaro with manual transmission

- Fulton , NY, USA