2014 Chevrolet Camaro engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro:

2014 Chevrolet Camaro Owner Comments

Apr 112016

My 2014 Chevy Camaro has the same problem as many do, on the Camaro forum. A bad heater core that fogs the entire windshield with a smell of antifreeze from the carpet, vents and windshield. As you drive & turn on heat or defrost, you put yourself in danger of being able to even see.without any warning. Very unsafe.

- Oak Brook, IL, USA

Jul 302015

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Camaro. While driving at approximately 20 mph and attempting to engage the brakes, the engine, power steering, and brakes seized. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. A police report was filed. It was unknown if any injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed and not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

May 022015

I own a 2014 Camaro. On May 2nd, we were driving off of an exit from the interstate 270 when all of a sudden, I lost total control of my vehicle. Everything shut down. I could barely star the car. I had no power at all. When this happened, it also sounded like my engine locked up. We were literally about to freak worrying we were going to get rear ended. Luckily, we were able to coast into an apartment complex. I could not restart the car and waited about 5 minutes until it would restart. I then took the car into a dealership here telling them it is a death trap. I informed them that I have given them notice of the dangers driving this car and if something happened to us, I would hold them liable since they had been warned. Honestly, I am worried now about driving that death trap.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 152015

Camaro 6-cyl

Heater core failed allowing hot ethyl glycol to spill into passenger compartment floor/foot area.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Oct 022014

Camaro 6-cyl

When I first bought the car my mom and dad took it around the block and said that it turned off but failed to mention it because of cars having features that turn car off while at a halt. I've had the car for about 6 months and it is hardly driven. 3 days of the week, and is barely at 5000 miles. Still technically brand new. One day while coming home from work my boyfriend and I noticed the car to be struggling a little power wise. When we came to a stop at a light we made a right turn and the car felt like it was going to stall. Barely turning into our apartment it finally turned off. Took a couple of tries but car finally turned on for about 10 seconds and then turned off again. Finally being able to park the car, we tried starting it after letting it sit for couple minutes and it did not want to start. We drove car to nearby dealer left it overnight and the next day they said about 11 codes were coming up. After that car finally turned on acted normal for a bit so we were given car back. Afterwards check engine light came on and stayed on. Due to not being able to be off work we were going to take car to original dealer we bought it from to get checked out. Halfway into the week the car then stalled again luckily as we turned into work. Messages came up such as "service stability and traction control" as long as "engine power reduced". we were able to park it and had onstar run a diagnostics for it and were told that several codes popped with tranny, stability and traction control, ABS breaks, engine power etc were all affected at the time. We took it to dealer couple hours later and car was checked out and "fixed" couple days later. Turned out to be a short in one of the wires. To think a simple wire defect can affect the car to that extent is scary! and I'm thankful the faultiness didn't occur in injury or death.

- Avondale , AZ, USA

Aug 192014

Camaro 6-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space making a sudden sharp left turn when the steering wheel locked up completely, brakes could no longer be depressed any further and the engine shut off completely. Once vehicle came to full stop, the ignition would not release my key or let me start the car after shifting it back into park. I tried shifting out and back into park, opening the driver door and closing it with no fix. After 3 minutes, the car finally let me start the engine and released the wheel, brakes and key. Onstar's diagnostic test at time of incident showed no problems. Went to dealership that evening and Chevy's technician said there are no codes that pull up. The technician and I both reenacted the situation with their diagnostic laptop and could not get the car to do it again and I was sent off with "no known issues found".

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 312014

Camaro 6-cyl

I was turning onto the highway that the speed limit is 65 mph from a side road. I waited for oncoming traffic to pass and then pulled out. As I pulled out, turning right, my car had a sudden loss of power. I tried to restart and it would not restart. I had difficulty pulling over to the side of the road due to the steering wheel being stiff and hard to handle. After I got to the side of the road, I was able to restart my car. I did not bump the ignition switch when this happened either.

- Stilwell, OK, USA

Jun 252014

This vehicle was purchased brand new January 2014 with less than 10 miles on it. Upon taking the vehicle in three or more times for a fuel system issue, I experienced a rapidly flashing engine light two times. I called the service department. They said do not drive the vehicle anywhere other than to the dealership because the engine may blow. I took the car to the dealership on 5/29. The dealership "replaced" all parts on the vehicle including the fuel line, fuel injectors, pistons, all fuel injectors and this did not help. They then attempted to even out the compression in the cylinders to fix the issue of the compression leaking. This did not work. The vehicle was still having compression issues. They finally requested a replacement engine from GM. The engine was installed and I was called to pick up my vehicle after 29 days at the dealership. I requested a buy back, as from what they have told me regarding the car having a defect and this is a huge safety concern for me. The dealer and GM West coast liaison denied buy back due to the warranty still being in effect. This car is not safe and should be bought back by the dealer. We are pursuing with the BBB and a lawyer. The dealership has not cooperated and will not assist any further. The main concern is lack of knowledge as to what was wrong with the vehicle and that being it had 5000-6000 miles, how do we know it will be safe and will not have issues in the future.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 062014

Driving on cruise control. Knee bumped key, engine turned off at 60 mph. Power steering and brakes still worked, but engine was off.

- Lake Elmo, MN, USA

Oct 312013

Camaro 6-cyl

Within two weeks after purchasing my car it stalled twice--both when stopped at red lights. I took car to dealership and they did a road test but could not replicate. On 4/9/2014 I was making a right hand turn and the car stalled in the middle of the intersection. I restarted the car, drove to my office and the car stalled when turning into the parking garage and again when turning into the parking space. Took to the dealership the following day and they kept for an extended test drive but could not replicate the problem. Since there were not any codes the car was returned to me.

- Thonotosassa, FL, USA

Apr 152014

Camaro 6-cyl

Trying to park at low speed there is a rubbing sound of plastic and light metal.there was fluid on top of the reservoir! dealer cleaned it twice and it comes back.they claim the rubbing and scraping metal behind the air bag is fine. They even called GM, General Motors says its all fine!you can hear a wobble and whistle from under the hood while accelerating slightly and turning steering wheel.there is also a severe wobble from the pulleys and engine is vibrating like crazy!there is also a rattling metal sound when you start the cat that seems to be coming from the fuel tank!the dealer burlington Chevrolet says that I just don't know how the Camaro is. I bought two other geration fives. One from them! never in for nothing but maintenance. It was a great car!I also had a 2012 Camaro rs 45th anniversary and traded it with 21,000 miles and except for a brake leak at the reservoir that took about 5 times to fix that car was awesome. Once they fixed it I drove over a year with nothing but maintenance. I only traded it due to severe unibody damage!

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Apr 202014

Camaro 6-cyl

As I was turning the corner on to woodward avenue my car just shut down. The car went totally black and shut down in the middle of the turn on this very busy-main thoroughfare.

- Detroit, MI, USA