2012 Chevrolet Captiva electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Captiva:

2012 Chevrolet Captiva Owner Comments

Jul 152016

The vehicle was turned on and we started driving and then car it acted like it was going to die out, and we shut the vehicle off and turned it back on again. Then after we were driving the car it stopped and locked up all the doors keys nothing worked as we were driving right in the middle of the intersection. The police and tow truck were called and the tow truck driver got the key out of the ignition and he got the vehicle to start again. Then we drove to a nearby gas station and it completely shut off again when we were entering the gas station while driving the vehicle. We only had the vehicle for 4 days until it did all this while driving. The tow truck driver took it back to the dealership where it came from. It was at the dealership for 5 days from the 15th of July went the tow truck brought it there until the dealership told us it was ok to come pick the vehicle back up on July 20th. They explain to us that they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle as to why this all happened. If it happens again to bring it back.

- Coal City, IL, USA

Jul 192016

The car will not start, key is stuck in the ignition. We have jumped it numerous times and for no reason the car will not start again. The battery was good, had it checked. 4th time since the start of 2016. Right now there is no, power, I can't even get the indoor lights on. It is going back to the mechanic. The car was stationary, (in my car port).

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 212016

My Captiva did not want to start. The key was locked in the ignition. All the lights were off and there was no lights on the instrument panel. I disconnected the negative battery cable for a minute and then plugged it back on to the battery. When I went to open the door the horn started honking and all the lights came on. I deactivated the alarm with the remote on the key but accidently hit the lock button. I stated the vehicle and went to close the hood. But when I went to open the door the doors had locked and my vehicle was running. I had to break the window because my 1 year old baby was in the car. My wife complained that the radio will some times turn off and the instrument lights will come on. One is the traction control need to be serviced and engine light will come on. Also the service light will turn on. Also the lights inside the vehicle will dim at times. My wife also complained that the vehicle will stall on her and shut off on her once. She was in the parking lot of the church when the vehicle stalled and stopped on her. I have read forums and customer complaints of other Captiva SUV's having the same problem. Ones suggesting that its the battery cables. Please investigate the problem because it could be a real problem if these vehicles start to stall on busy highways. Regards

- Socorro, TX, USA

May 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Captiva. The contact stated that after turning the ignition switch off and back on, the vehicle lost power and the service traction control and the ABS skid lights illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic; however, the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Aug 142015

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Captiva. While making a right turn at 30 mph, all the lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. In addition, the radio and the heating system failed to function as temperature below 40 was displayed across the message board. In addition, the contact had to manually open the doors in order to enter the vehicle. The vehicle also failed to start as the theft alarm independently activated and the emergency brake failed to release. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed that a theft module melted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Irving, TX, USA

Dec 132014

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Captiva. The contact stated that while pulling into a parking space, the key failed to disengage from the ignition switch after the vehicle was turned off. The contact stated that the radio would shut off and the parking break warning indicator illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. However, the spark plugs, the fuses, and the radio were replaced. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 48,000...updated 09/03/15 updated 09/09/15

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 062015

Radio goes off when using the turn signals and sometimes does not come back on. Headlights dim when open/close windows, dash board lights flicker, parking break service light goes on/off randomly, car is completely dead when you try to restart it and the key gets stuck in the ignition. Sometimes car will restart other times it needs to be jumped to start it. Battery positive post is hot to the touch even though car was dead for over 24 hrs.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

May 142015

Captiva 6-cyl

Vehicle driven in high traffic area when without warning slowly lost all power and stalled in the middle of the street. Initial attempt to start vehicle failed. After several more attempts the vehicle started only to gradually lose power and stalled again. Able to roll vehicle off main street onto side street and called aaa. While waiting for aaa I disconnected both positive and negative battery cables waited 10 minutes and reconnected. Vehicle started but when moved it again lost power and stalled. Aaa arrived and the vehicle started and was driven onto the flatbed. The vehicle was towed to my home and when the operator attempted to drive the vehicle off the flat bed it would not start. After several attempts the operator was able to start and drive vehicle off the flat bed. We have not driven the car since we are unable to determine the cause of the problem. This situation could have had a tragic ending had I been hit during this vehicle malfunction.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Jan 092015

Captiva 6-cyl

My most recent problem with my 2012 Chevy Captiva is the key was getting jammed in ignition and would not release immediately. This went on for approximately two weeks or more. I took vehicle in for replacement of brakes on 2/17/15. On 2/18/15, later in the night, the key would not release from ignition at all. I have vehicle at dealer as of 2/20/15 to diagnose the problem and awaiting the results. I am concerned that this is the same GM problem with ignition switch for other models that are being "recalled." Also just for the record, I did experience a problem with transmission that needed to be replaced under warranty as well back in 2014; and problem with alternator back in 2013 also had to be replaced under warranty. I also notice some hesitation in acceleration, (similar to a slight/faint pull) on occasions. Not enough to think anything serious, but did occur often enough in 2014.

- Westbury, NY, USA

Aug 142014

Car was driving fine went into a store came out keyless entry would not work, opened door with key and car would not start. Called for a jump but before the person came the car started out of the blue. I never attempted to start the car again but had inadvertently left the switch to the on position. I took the car into good Chevrolet for service and was told that my car's brains were basically scrambled. I was told that the PCM, bank 1 sensor 2 oxygen sensors were replaced and that all codes were cleared and that the repair was verified. I pick the car up on 8/14/14 drove it on 8/15/14 and the same thing happened again only this time the key would not come out of the ignition and all power was lost. Again I sat there and waited and about 15-20 minutes later the car started. This time the car show additional issues. The lights where the rpms are shown flickers on and off, the car sputters, trying to get up to a certain speed is taxing and when I put the car in reverse there is a rattling coupled with a squealing sound. Today is 8/16/14 and I will be taking the car back into good Chevrolet once again for service. I can only hope that they will repair the car this time and that I do not have some major issue after the warranty period as there is clearly something wrong within the car's electrical or computer components.

- Seattle, WA, USA