5.1

2014 Chevrolet Captiva engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Captiva:

2014 Chevrolet Captiva Owner Comments

Jun 202015

Captiva

Happened on four occasions almost causing major accidents that could have resulted in the death on my family. Three of which was after I took to the dealer to get it fixed, while on vacation. First event happened on June 20,2015. I was driving on the highway at 70mph. My car suddenly lost engine power and dropped to 45mph within seconds. The stabilitrac, traction control and engine lights came on. I could not get my car to go over 50 mph on interstate. When I arrived home I called Chevy corporation and made a report. I dropped my vehicle off at my local dealer on 6/22. They said it was repaired and ready for pick up on 6/24. They replaced the pedal system and said the road test was good and my vehicle was safe to drive. My family and I left for vacation in this vehicle on 6/27/15. We didn't think we would have any recurring issues. Half way through our trip at 80mph on the highway our car reduced engine power and dropped to 45mph within seconds. The only option was to pull off along he highway with our three children in the vehicle. My husband turned the car off and on repeatedly until the lights finally went off. We traveled a few miles to the next exit not able to drive past 45mph. The third and fourth times happened on the way home from vacation on 7/5/15. The third time the vehicle dropped from 80mph to 40 mph. The fourth time was 75 mph sbd my husband put the vehicle in neutral so it wasn't such a drastic change in speed. Both of these times we had to pull off the highway with our three children on he vehicle. This vehicle is unsafe to drive!!! I have been in contact with Chevrolet Corp. I will contact them again in the morning about this issue.

- Lost Creek, WV, USA

Jan 282015

Captiva 4-cyl

Electrical and speed control: Replaced instrument cluster and programmed. Cruise control and odometer did not match programmed 70 mph and registered 68. Engine: Valve or lifter clatter unable to duplicate. Door rattle: Found lock knob vibrating in door panel hole insulate rod: Noise gone.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 262014

Captiva 4-cyl

Rented the Captiva from enterprise at jacksonville, fl, airport. Engine had clattered a bit at slow speeds but not on highway. On third and last day we were driving away after a traffic light had turned green and the engine just stopped working. The car turned off. I put on the hazard lights and turned into right lane, then into a parking lot that luckily happened to be next to it. All the cars around us were moving slowly - again, luckily - because they had been stopped at the traffic light. I lost the power in steering and also the brakes. I did not knock against the keys in the ignition and I could think of nothing unusual that happened before the engine just failed.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jul 132014

Captiva

Drove to a park and saw a poof of smoke along with a strong smell inside the captive, and we quickly got out and radiator fluid started leaking.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA