2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 13 of 20)

Jan 142013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that when he started the vehicle, the power steering warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the steering column would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 98,600.

- Vista, CA, USA

Mar 182009

HHR 4-cyl

Driving on interstate at approx 60 mph. The powersteering message flashed then the gauges went to 0 then lock on left side on instrument panel came on and lost power to car. Pulled over and car died. Would not re start for a short period of time. When re started all happened again, then turned off ignition and restarted then all was ok for a time.

- Deepwater, MO, USA

Dec 292012

As I was driving down the interstate at about 65 mph the power steering went out and I got a notification on my dash panel. I had to turn the vehicle off to reset it, and now its been going out at least once a day everyday since then.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Nov 042012

HHR 4-cyl

The first incident happened when I was pulling my vehicle out of my drive way, I was in reverse and put the car in park and began driving, afew seconds later, I heard a warning chime and a message came up on my dash saying "power steering". the car was very hard to maneuver, I stopped the car and turned it off. I needed to get it back into my drive way so I turned the car on to go back home, once I turned the car back on the steering had gone back to normal. I assumed it had only been a glitch but didn't drive my car that day once I got it back home. I drove my car for about a week when the same thing happened again, I heard a chime and my dash displayed power steering, I was on a busy road and had no choice but to pull over, once I did I turned the car off then back on, the steering once again went back to normal. The next day I was on the highway going approximately 70-80 mph when the car once again displayed power steering on the dash and it became very hard to operate the steering wheel, I stopped the car and left it at a rest area along the highway because I was too afraid it would happen again before I could get off the high way and safely back home and had to have a friend drive it back to my home. I have not been able to drive my car in about 2 weeks because instead of it happening every few days, I now cant make it a mile out of my subdivision without it happening. Im afraid it will cause me to have an accident in the vehicle. I've spoken to General Motors, which they have told me that it is only my vehicle that is having the problem, which is not true, on any given search engine you can type "Chevy HHR steering problems" and see pages upon pages of people who have had this problem and have even been in accidents because of it. The cobalt was recalled because of the same problem. The issue should be fixed by GM because it's a very common issue with HHR's.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Dec 152012

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder of the road and shut the engine off. After restarting the vehicle it regained power steering capabilities. The failure recurred intermittently. Additionally, the contact stated that when driving over any uneven road surface, there was a loud pop heard from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician advised that the power steering pump and sway bar would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 152012

HHR 4-cyl

While driving, the "power steering" warning light came on across the dashboard impeding steering maneuvers. After a complete stop and disengaging the engine, the warning light a power steering seems to resume normal performance. However, the warning light and impeded steering returns within 20-25 miles of travel.

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 172012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became extremely difficult. The vehicle was later towed to the contact's residence and was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was contacted and advised him to take the vehicle to the dealer. The failure and current mileages were approximately 44,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 142012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph up a mountain, the power steering assist failed without warning. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle, as the power steering assist performed normally. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 072012

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering warning comes on and the power steering motor quits. It has happened several times, the last time I stopped at a red light and shut the motor off and restarted it and the problem went away. The car is very hard to steer without the power steering motor.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Sep 042012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and immediately after the power steering failed. The contact mentioned that steering became extremely hard to maneuver. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Cosby , TN, USA

Sep 202012

While driving, my wife said the power steering light came on and power steering went out. I was impossible for her to turn which nearly caused a head on collision. This is an un-safe steering motor used in this automobile and needs to be recalled asap before somebody gets killed! this has happened to me as well and has happened on at least a dozen different dates.

- Cosby, TN, USA

Oct 162012

I have had quit a few of incidents with my vehicle. I bought it used. The steering wheel locks up and when it does that the dash display says power steering. I don't know if its a recall or not but I feel like it needs to be. A local towing company owner is a close friend and he has recently towed on a HHR that flipped because the steering wheel locked and the lady got scared and over corrected and flipped. I believe it needs to be labeled as a recall.

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Nov 112012

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving at the freeway when the power steering cut out and made move the steering wheel so hard the I stop the car starter again and was ok later it did it several times in my way home.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Nov 082011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the passenger side air bag warning light illuminated. The warning light would illuminate whether a passenger was occupying the seat or not. On a separate occasion while driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering assist failed. The contact merged to the shoulder, powered off the vehicle and restarted. The vehicle was not taken to be inspected for the power steering assist failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 08V046000 (air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Port Deposit , MD, USA

Feb 082012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph and making a turn, there was a sudden loss of power steering with an illumination of the power steering warning indicator. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The vehicle was restated and resumed normally. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was unable to duplicate the failure or detect a trouble code. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Lockport, LA, USA

Jun 012012

Originally the power steering stopped working randomly when driving but now it stops working after 30 seconds or so every time car is started and failure alert is displayed. Also while driving the power door locks unlocked, the gauges stopped working, the car hard shifted down, and it also started to display it was running at least 20 degrees hotter than normal. This has happened twice but seems fine later.

- Spencer, MA, USA

Oct 292012

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering message on dash; security light comes on; RPM, speed, and gas gauges jump, transmission jerks, clicking in center console under shifter. After turning engine off for period of time runs like normal, restart an drive for period of time and power steering goes out while driving.

- Knoxville, AR, USA

Oct 132012

HHR 4-cyl

This is an ongoing safety problem that Chevy/GM doesn't care to worry about. My cars steering wheel shakes when I am driving. Sometimes to the point of the car to be uncontrollable in addition to this the traction control light goes on along with the engine light. I have brought this in to the dealer every two months and have been told a combination of what the dealers mechanics feel the problem is. I have had steering columns replaced, cam shaft solenoids, bushings, rotors. The list goes on. Nothing has fixed the issue. Today bringing back to the dealer I am now told that I am lucky to be alive as both control arms in the front are seconds from breaking along with the links that keep the car stable.. the mechanic shared that had I hit a pothole I would have died as the car would have spun out of control and impossible to recover as I would have no way to control the steering wheel. Now having two kids, and this being an ongoing problem one would think that Chevy/GM would pay for the replacement of their faulty part. I cant afford a new car, and I can no longer afford to pay for GM's mistakes. My car is paid off and now I don't feel safe driving it. To "fix it" and I say this loosely it will cost 1,800 out of my pocket.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 012012

HHR 4-cyl

Starting back in August, now pretty much every time we drive the car, the power steering goes out. It makes it very difficult to turn the wheel, seemingly harder than if we had no power steering at all. While driving straight this is not really a safety issue, but if the power steering were out and we needed to avoid an accident, it would be nearly impossible. You used to be able to turn the car off, wait 30 seconds-1 minute, and turn the car back on, and it would be fine the rest of the trip. Now, you can turn it off/back on, but the power steering goes out again in just a few minutes. From what I have seen online, there was a recall on the Chevy cobalt (which has the same steering setup) and in Canada.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Oct 022012

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering went inop while driving, made steering very hard. Could have caused an accident if this happened while turning.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA