2006 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet HHR:

2006 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 1 of 20)

Sep 092016

Takata recall. Power steering goes out on my 2006 HHR while driving down the highway. Can pull over and kill the engine and restart the car and it will work fine again for a few miles then the power steering message will comes across message board and ding then it goes out again. It has been doing this for about a month now and it first started when the heat index started to get really high. It started off only occasionally doing it, but now it's more frequent. Have scheduled an appointment with dealer to have service tech look at it.

- Castle, OK, USA

Sep 022016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician could not determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Minsie, IN, USA

Jul 212016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000.

- Laredo, TX, USA

May 302016

While driving the steering get hard and I am unable to make normal turns. This happens at slow speeds and highway speeds.

- Morristown, IN, USA

Jul 082016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel warning light illuminated continuously, and the steering wheel seized. The contact had to turn off and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 132016

I was driving home from work, and was taking a left turn to enter the highway, when all of a sudden I heard a ding ding ding from the car. My dash lit up a warning that said power steering and the steering wheel locked up. It became nearly impossible to steer, and I ended up on the side of the road, in a field. Thank goodness I didnt get into a major accident. And thank goodnes my 1 and a half year old daughter wasn't with me at the time, and was already safe at home!!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 052016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR.while driving 70 mph, the power steering failed and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was previously serviced for the failure twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 118,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 012016

It started a couple months ago, you would hear a beeping sound then a message on the dash, it will say "power steering" then the power steering would not be working, it started once a week then once a day now it happens every single time you drive the car.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Apr 302016

Vehicle has 111,000 miles and twice in the past two days the power steering error in the dic came on during low speed cornering. Both times the power steering was working normally until the turn and was very difficult to turn under manual mode. A reset of the car restored power steering albit temporarily.

- Greenacres, FL, USA

Apr 012016

We keep hearing a ding, ding, ding, and the instrument cluster reads out power steering as we lose our power steering and it becomes very difficult to turn the wheels. This keeps happening every so many days and I have changed the 60 amp fuse. But it seems that if I pull over and shut off the car and restart it the power steering works once again. It is very frustrating and dangerous in traffic. I called our mechanic and he said he will not work on electronic steering systems. That doesn't give me much comfort as it appears I would have to go to the dealer and guess it might be a big deal and very expensive. But other than that, we have been very happy with our car these last 10 years.

- Homosassa, FL, USA

Apr 092016

I took my 2006 HHR to the dealership for repairs on a tail light and fuses. When I picked it up it was sitting in the parking lot. I started the car. Went to drive away and I had no power steering. I went in side and had to leave my car again. It took 2 weeks for them to work on my car. The whole steering column had to be replaced to fix the steering module.

- Benton, KY, USA

Mar 122016

Twice the power steering stopped and the car was extremely hard/impossible to steer. First time was when parking and after having the engine off for and hour I started it up and everything was fine, so did not work thought it was just a fluke. Second time was going around a curve on an onramp to an interstate highway and the steering acted almost like it locked, no control hit a light pole and car is damaged extensively.

- Redding, CA, USA

Feb 182016

While driving this vehicle, the power steering light flashes on dash board and I lose all the function of the power steering. It has now happened 4 separate times in two weeks, the last when I was turning a corner and nearly hit a car on the side of the road because I could not steer the vehicle. I have a safety recall letter from General Motors stating that I had to pay out of pocket to fix and then they would determine if it fell under there recall. When the letter states to bring it to the dealership should the power steering light ever comes on the dash panel, which it has done know 4 times when the power steering failed. I could been killed if I had been going faster or killed some one. This is an issue with the GM faulty mechanics. First it was the ignition having to give my vehicle up for nearly 6 weeks to have it fixed. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed by General Motors and paid for by General Motors, not the consumer. What is it going to take, another death because of the mistakes. Even after they notified me that is a safety issue via letter, but I first pay out of pocket and then determine if they will reimburse me for it. The first time I was in downtown la going to work and once again when I turned left while driving, the second on the 405 in rush hour traffic, just as I was accelerating and changing lanes, the light flashed on the dash board (power steering) and I lost all power steering capability. The third was the week of February 15, 2016. Turning left again and the fourth time just yesterday again when I turned left.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 102016

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. While driving 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn intermittently before failing completely. The contact also stated that the low beam headlights failed. The contact stated that the bulbs were replaced, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic where it could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 012013

After abiding by the recall to change the ignition switch, the car starts freaking out randomly. The dash lights start going on and off. Loose power steering, power brakes and the car just stops. You can be going 70 miles an hour down the highway and the car just gives out. The dealership refuses to fix it unless I am willing to pay all the fees. I had a second dealership replace some fuses but after 2 days it started doing it again. After the first episodes, I called and opened a ticket with Chevrolet, but because the dealership I used didn't want to mess with the car any more they were not very helpful. Now I am driving a death trap because I can't afford a new car and I won't let my children drive or be in the car.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jan 112015

The Chevy dealer that I bought the car from and have been taking it to for the two recalls will not do them

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Dec 312015

GM says drivers will instantly know if the electric power steering system fails because a chime and dashboard message will appear. The car can be steered without power assist, but it can require a lot more muscle to turn the wheel, especially at low speeds. Because of the difficulty, the car could be more susceptible to a crash. Our vehicle was in motion on a city street when suddenly, we lost all power steering. Other makes and models with the same equipment has been recalled already. When shutting off the vehicle and restarting, the power steering is restored briefly and will fail again while driving.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Covert, MI, USA

Nov 232015

When driving my 2006 Chevy HHR my power steering shuts off without any warning and at any time. This makes it harder to turn and is very dangerous.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 052015

The steering wants to lock up and don't return to the straight position when turning on to a street as if it is sticking clicking and popping noise also in the steering column. Also both fuel lines over the left rear wheel rusted out and leaked gas all over the garage floor. Costing two hundred and fifty dollars.

- Saint Paris, OH, USA