5.5

2007 Chevrolet HHR brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Feb 202009

HHR

The brakes started shuttering after 20000 miles, the dealer found the brake rotors were warped and turned the rotors. At 55000 miles the trouble has returned and since the car is out of the 3 yrs 36000 mile warranty will not fix. The brakes pulsate badly at this point and 2 service managers claim is the result of the rotors being too light for the weight of the car and it is happening to many Chevy HHR owners. The 2nd problem is the electronic steering. The steering shakes when the warped brakes are applied due to the plastic gears wearing and when you are driving over a rough surface. Again the dealer nor GM will make repairs due to car out of 3 yr 36000 warranty. Again the service managers has admitted this problem is happening to many owners. Both problems can lead to a loss of control and the rotors could cause the brake pads to deteriorate and prevent proper braking leading to loss of control and accidents.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jan 232007

HHR

Violent shaking while braking. I have had new pad and rotors on my car and I only have 16,000 miles. My HHR continues to shake even after repairs.

- Verona, PW, USA

Oct 112008

HHR

The brake system on our 2007 Chevrolet HHR violently shakes the whole car when trying to brake at higher speeds especially going down hill. The brakes are no where near needing replaced yet and the Chevy dealer we bought it from claims they know about the problem but cannot do anything about it without charging us for a repair"?" I do not need new brakes I just need the ones on it to work properly. A search of the internet and this site demonstrates a design or parts problem since many owners have the exact same problem. I would invite anyone to contact me to take a ride in the car to see how unbelievably scary it is to be behind the wheel coming down a hill and trying to get it stopped. Some one needs to look into this before someone get seriously hurt when the brakes fail. I have owned this car since new and after the way the dealership treated this and our concerns this will be the last Chevy in our driveway.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jan 102008

HHR

When brakes are applied, the steering wheel and front end shakes. The vehicle has been put in the shop 4 times. I believe this falls under the lemon-law. The vehicle is still under warranty. I want the vehicle replaced or fixed. The car is unsafe, for my family. I have twins that are 3 years old!! something needs to be replaced or fixed. It has been back to the dealer 4 times and its not fixed!!!!! howard H. herold

- Arnold , MD, USA

Sep 182008

HHR

Steering wheel on my 2007 Chevy HHR would shake every time I applied the brakes. The car only has 9,200 miles on it. Brought it back to the dealer. Service manager said that he has seen this problem with a number of HHR's. he shaved the rotors. Rotors should not be an issue when the car only has 9,000 miles on it. I believe the rotors are defective. Service manager told me he thinks the problem is that the steel they used is too soft. A recall is in order. Please investigate. This is not an isolated problem. An investigation must take place and an audit of how many HHR's have this same problem.

- New City, NY, USA

Aug 172007

HHR

Brake rotor problem. Warped at 25,113 miles and started problem again at 50,000.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Nov 112007

HHR

The Chevy HHR plugs are corroded and the brakes are defective. The car stalls when hitting over a bump in the road or not while drive at a high speed. No warning light. Stalls 17 times.

- Roanoke Rapids, NC, USA

Jul 022008

HHR

Lousy brakes. While driving in hot weather, applying brakes sets off violent shaking and pulsation in steering wheel and brake pedal. This was not caused by over usage. Occurred at first application. Air temp was approximately 95 deg. Brakes work fine in cold weather. Stopped at local Chevrolet dealer and asked if there were any recalls of service bulletins concerning this problem. Service manager said the brakes were made as cheaply as possible especially the rotors.

- Springdale, WA, USA

May 142008

HHR 4-cyl

Vehicle was bought new in November 2007, and has had a couple issues. When new, the vehicle seemed to not track straight, or was at least 'twitchy' on the road. With less than 6000 miles, the vehicle developed a noticeable 'clunk' in the front end. Took to the dealer, and they found a "damaged sway bar bushing", decided that it was defective from the factory, and replaced under warranty. This seemed to fix that issue, as well as made the car less 'twitchy' to drive. With just under 10,000 miles, the vehicle has developed a sensation of having a warped rotor when braking. Rotors turned by dealer and the problem has gone away for now, but tech at dealership says this seems to be a common occurrence for HHR's.

- Mesa, AZ, USA