2007 Chevrolet HHR electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet HHR:

2007 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 012012

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact also mentioned that the headlights and instrumental panel lights intermittently failed and the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was not able to diagnose the failures. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Waycross, GA, USA

Sep 012012

HHR 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problems. The consumer stated when she arrived at her place of business, she could not turn the ignition off. She was forced to drive to the local dealership for a diagnosis. According to the invoice, the ignition lock cylinder and shifter were replaced. The consumer S seeking reimbursement, of in light of the widely publicized recall.

- Alpena, MI, USA

Apr 012014

HHR 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice and air bag malfunction. The consumer stated he was involved in an accident last year and the air bags did not deploy. The consumer stated he was rear ended and he was hit so hard, that his head hit the steering wheel.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 242014

HHR 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Chevy HHR. I've had the fuel pump replaced. But not many others. Until now there is a chime and the power steering indicator on the dash comes on and the power steering assist goes off. At first it was once in awhile. Now I can drive 30 seconds to 10 min and the power assist goes out. I restart and it comes back for a moment or so. All the way to work no power steering assist. On the way home it worked fine. I can't find any pattern to it. Key in the ignition only as stated in the recall notice I received about the power steering going out. Everything on the key chain it seems to work more often than not. I have contacted a Chevy dealership and Chevy. But since my VIN is not on the power steering recall I will have to pay for it out of pocket. Which I do not have the money after I did my taxes. This is obviously an issue and needs to be fixed. I found a notice on the GM website that listed the 2006-2007 HHR to have lifetime warranty on the power steering. But since there is no recall on it I am out of luck. I sent the article to the Chevy dealership and they won't do anything because the VIN isn't listed. As far as I am concerned this should be covered. Far too many people have had this issue fo it not to be covered to some extent.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 012007

HHR 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice and power steering problems. The consumer stated he had three accidents. The first accident, he hit a light pole and damaged the right side of the vehicle, the second accident, he hit a tree and the third accident, someone backed into him. The consumer stated the air bag did not deploy, in any of the accidents. The consumer felt he lost power steering in the first two accidents. Since December 2010, the steering light would illuminate. Also, the consumer experienced problems with the shifter as the vehicle was difficult to shift when first starting out; it was difficult to shift from park to drive. Updated 07/03/14 updated 08/07/14

- Haines City, FL, USA

Aug 032010

HHR 4-cyl

In Aug of 2010 I replaced the ignition switch cylinder. The key was stuck in the ignition and I could not remove it without replacing. In Jan 2012 power steering went out and key in ignition again I took to GM dealer on a recall notice, but apparently not my VIN so I had to pay $320 out of pocket to fix. 4-2014 my power steering has been out multiple times usually can repair by replacing the fuse. But this time I have been driving for 4 months without power steering and replacing fuse does not fix. Waiting on parts for recall but none available yet. Also my inside passenger door handle broke 1 yr ago and cannot open door from the inside. I have know that this has happened in at least 4 other HHR owners cars also.

- Sandusky, OH, USA

Nov 212013

HHR 4-cyl

On March 27, 2014, while driving at the speed of 45mph, the steering wheel became hard to turn. This is the third time of this particular incident. The first incident happened around November 2013. Each time the vehicle was taken to a Chevrolet dealer to be fixed. Now I have noticed the coolant temperature displaying under the mileage panel of 95 to 200 degrees.

- Florence, AL, USA

Apr 012014

2007 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to power steering, ignition switch and door handle problems. The consumer also stated, she experienced brake problems and the windows were leaking, also there were electrical and fuse problems. The door handles snapped off in the consumers hands.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 132007

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that she attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system), but was made aware that the parts were not available. As a result, the recall repairs were unable to be performed on the vehicle. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 022007

HHR 4-cyl

I am the one owner of this car. Since day one nothing but problems. Air bag lights on dash illuminated, driver and passenger, warning have remained on no matter if your buckled in or not. It is supposed to signal if not buckled in, I have only heard it do this twice in the past seven years. I wear my seatbelt 99.99% of the time but have to tell my husband to put his on, I wish it would beep or do what is supposed to so I wouldn't have to beep. We took to dealer at about 1000 miles and was told " not to worry about it " when seatbelts are engaged the airbag warning signals on dash and center console still will be flashing. Airbag warnings never turn off ! I feel GM should include this in the airbag recall, same parts- we all know.

- Fairfield , OH, USA

Jan 232014

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the engine was turned on to allow the vehicle to warm up and after approximately 5 minutes, the vehicle stalled. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Louisville , KY, USA

Jan 052012

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the engine stalled and could not be restarted. The failure was recurring. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure after 24 days and the manufacturer installed a computer board in the vehicle to register any failure codes but to no avail. The failure persisted. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) but the vehicle was not serviced per the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000...updated 04-24-14

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 122012

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the ignition switch failed and prevented the key from being released from the ignition. The dealer replaced the gear shifter. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,728. The current mileage was 58,043. Updated 04/29/14

- South Charleston , WV, USA

Jan 022014

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to guide the vehicle to the shoulder, restart the engine and resume normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact indicated that the vehicle exhibited the same failure that was listed in the recall under NHTSA campaign number 14V047000(air bags, electrical system). The failure mileage was 116,284.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 262014

HHR 4-cyl

Tried to contact General Motors hot line 800-222-1020 spoke with rep about ignition issues currently on this 2007 Chevy HHR. I was told their is no recall for this vehicle "? yet the information appeared in usa today specifying these vehicles. I have exp. Dead switch when attempting to start this car, happens sometimes inconsistent. Dealer has had no input as to repair ? as it is inconsistent, I purchased vehicle used only 5 mo. Ago. I am concerned as to what is correct info "

- Amherst, NY, USA

Nov 262013

HHR 4-cyl

As I was driving home on the highway, the power steering light went on and then I lost power steering. I pulled it over to the side of the road and turned the car off. After waiting a few minutes, I turned the car back on. It was fine - for a bit. During my 21 mile commute, this happened 4 times. Every time, I lost power steering, pulled the car to the side of the road, and turned it off. Each time I turned it on, it was fine for a bit. This is very unsafe due to the lack of steering - it felt like I was driving a tractor each time this happened and turning corners was very difficult. Once I got home, we checked the owner's manual and it stated that when this happens, the electronic power steering device is faulting. We checked on the internet to find out how to purchase that part and discovered that there are several reports claims that the 2007-2009 HHR and cobalts have this same issue. So, we called and purchased a part from the Chevrolet dealership in elburn. I asked them about how to make a complaint and I was led to discuss this with GM and make a complaint. Then, I am making a complaint with your company as well.

- Sugar Grove, IL, USA

Aug 222013

I bought my car a week ago. Drove it home with no incident. Then drove it was on the highway to take my elderly mother to an airport 40 miles away. After seeing her off, I went to get my new car washed. Then got back onto the I-5 and drove about 3 miles, when I heard a tone and the dash board under the speedometer lit up, stating I had lost power steering. I was in the middle lane of six lanes, going 60 miles an hours in a brand new to me car I was not used to driving, in congested commuter traffic. I am not strong. I was scared out of my mind. Luckily I was on a straight away. I put on my hazard lights and people eventually let me over. I took the next off ramp and managed my way home on frontage roads and side streets, which of course took forever. Arriving home I turned the ignition off and cried with relief and frustration. Then I turned the ignition back on to see what the message on the dash was again and it was gone. I'm terrified to drive this car again. And everything thing I've read online since, said that if the shop doesn't see the message or duplicate the problem, they can't fix it, equalling money wasted. This problem is not new, highly dangerous and recalled in at least one of Chevrolet's other cars and recalled on the HHR in Canada. Why not here"?? aren't americans as valuable as canadians??? please make this a recall and contact me when you do. I have a car I can't drive without fear and can't sell in good conscience. I am older, in poor health and without much money, I feel that I have been cheated. No one should be allowed to sell unsafe cars any where!!! I also feel this problem is why Chevrolet is discontinuing the HHR, and leaving us out in the cold with their mistake. Does someone have to die for a recall??? I feel it was close in my case!!! will begrudgingly be taking it to a dealer for repair. What else can I do"

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jul 182013

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the ignition failed and the key could not be released from the ignition. The contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to power off due to the failure. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 94,000.

- Piedmont, NC, USA

Jul 052013

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering light came on and lost power steering it could still be driven but every time I was driving I have to pull over stop the car restarted and then it'll do it again every five minutes it's been doing it since last year, around this time for about a week and now it's doing it every day.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 032013

Power steering abruptly failed at low speeds, and did not resume working when vehicle was shut off and restarted.

- Little Falls, NY, USA