2008 Chevrolet HHR drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Jul 222016

Transmission needs to be rebuilt with less than 100K miles on it. This is the same transmission that is in the colbalt, HHR, and Malibu. My transmission shop has a colbalt and Malibu in the bay with my car, 10K less miles than mine, with the same issue. The transmission starts by over reving when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. There is no cel present. Then the car gets a drag like you are driving a brick. Took car to Eagle transmission (after Chevy house said flush and filter would fix the issue) and now I have to pay for a rebuilt transmission. Chevy refuses to acknowledge the problem, however, any review of any board will show this is a huge ongoing problem. My milage is 98778

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Nov 132015

I can never get my gear shift out of park when it's cold. I had the issue fixed but it still does it. Been having this problem, since 2010

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 042015

HHR 4-cyl

About 2wks ago all the sound in my car went out for about 5mins then came back on! tonight 1/4/15 about 8:50pm I stopped at a gas station to get gas I put my foot on the brake and went to put it in park and it wouldn't shift it took me 5mins to finally get it into park! once in park I tried to take the key out and it wouldn't come out it was stuck in accessory mode! I kept trying to take it out finally after about 10/15mins I got it out! went to leave to and my car wouldn't start! it will turn to accessory mode but wont turn over and actually start! I had to call roadside assistance to tow me home! I had the recall for the ignition switch fixed but now its doing this? I don't know what it is but this is currently my only car!

- Maquoketa , IA, USA

Sep 022013

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the security warning light illuminated and other unknown warning lights flickered. The contact also stated that when driving up a hill or making a U-turn, the power steering and the security warning lights illuminated and unknown warning lights flickered. In addition, the vehicle jerked and the steering wheel seized on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three occasions where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- Arvonia, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Warning signal beeps (alarm) then says power steering on dashboard. The power steering goes and it is difficult to turn the steering wheel. Very dangerous as it is random and has happened in the middle of making a turn. Read many, many owners of this car's complaints yet nothing has been done.

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA

Jul 102014

2008 Chevy HHR power steering message came on.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Jun 252012

2008 Chevy HHR required a new transmission. Only 104,124 miles.

- Epping, NH, USA

Jul 282008

I bought this car in June of 2008. It has been in the shop 17 times with electrical problems the brakes have quite working came to a stop sign and they went to the floor the car has shut off several times going down the road and when it rains really hard the car will not start it drains my brand new battery I got the car from bob steel Chevrolet in cocca fl they kept telling me there was nothing they could do I called a lawyer and GM motors decided to give me 10% of the car and they never fixed the car this it the 4th battery because it is draining them so much there no good GM motors told me they were going to label the car as a lemon but because I bought it used they weren't going to buy it back they also told me that the 2007 had the same problem but because this was a 2008 and no other problems with this model to just deal with it I don't know what lest to do please help.

- Mims, FL, USA

Apr 152010

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle decreased in speed despite the accelerator pedal being depressed. The traction warning light illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer nine times. The dealer confirmed the fuse box the wiring housing and transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Sheffield Lake, OH, USA

Mar 242008

I also own a 2008 Chevy HHR lt that is loaded. I purchased this vehicle brand new and currently have 39,000 miles on it. I have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle. I have had all of the following problems and GM replaced some of them. GM installed a new intermediate steering column, drag links, turned rotors 4 times and right side upper ball joint. After the warranty expired, the brakes once again went to hell in a hand basket. I ordered a set of racing rotors and ceramic brakes, this cured the brake problem. At 37,000 miles, the check engine light came on and I had it checked out and it was the cam sensor. I replaced the sensor and reset the light and it did not fix the problem. I really like the vehicle, but GM needs to do their homework and do more research and development.

- Poca, WV, USA

Dec 262009

2008 Chevy HHR, stall 5 times, electrical system failed, no hazard light to warned other drivers of vehicle present.

- Bronx, NY, USA