2008 Chevrolet HHR electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 232016

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Marrero, LA, USA

Mar 252016

HHR

Whenever I am driving, the steering wheel will suddenly lock up for seemingly no reason. I can be go anywhere from 35 mph to 70 mph. It's caused me to nearly get into multiple wrecks. I'm forced to pull over, turn off the car, and turn it back on and then the wheel is perfectly fine after. It happens in the middle of driving. I'm scared to keep driving this car but it's my only way to work every day. I have no choice. My car dealership has said many HHR's have been recalled in the past due to power steering issues. Please help me know if my car needs to be recalled and what I need to do to keep safe. This happens nearly every day I drive it, I've only owned the car for about a month now.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Nov 132015

HHR

Ever single time I turn my car on my power steering cust off.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 072015

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the interior lights flashed and all of the systems reset. The ignition had to be turned to the off position and back to the on position in order for the vehicle to start. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000(electrical system), but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Greer, SC, USA

Aug 212014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle required a jump start in order to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the alternator and battery were replaced at different times however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 6/11/15

- Hemet, CA, USA

Mar 272015

HHR 4-cyl

Was driving home from the store and there was smoke coming from underneath the dash. I pulled over and myself and the passenger got out. The next second or two, fire started erupting from the dash. The fire department was called immediately. About 15 minutes passed and the car was totally engulfed. The insurance company claimed it was an electrical fire, and the car was totaled. We were told that there was a problem with the HHR's that had remote start and automatic. The wiring harness was the blame.

- Hinton, WV, USA

Jan 012014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. While in park, the driver side door failed to open. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the door lock and the key remote needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 022015

HHR 4-cyl

Intermittent canceling of turn signal, does not work all the time. Youtube shows GM did not use strong enough spring in switch. I am hard of hearing, cannot hear the click click click of flasher. Drivers behind me confused as to my intentions. Injury possible by drivers expecting me to turn. They want a lot of money to fix their mistake!!!

- Canby, OR, USA

Aug 112010

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. After numerous attempts, the key released from the ignition switch. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) however, the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 052012

HHR

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer requests reimbursement. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced.

- Aransas Pass, TX, USA

Mar 022015

HHR 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle would not start, the shifter would not engage and ignition issues.

- Junction City, KS, USA

Mar 012015

HHR

The electronic control systems were damaged during the ignition switch recall service performed at matthews-hargreaves Chevrolet in royal oak mi. I recently had the ignition switch replaced as part of a recall. I picked up the vehicle on Saturday 2/28/15. On Sunday 3/1/15 the key fobs (remote start lock unlock panic) no longer work leading me to believe the electronic control system was damaged when the vehicle was repaired. Something went wrong at the dealership. Three facts the radio didn't seem to be reset so I believe the battery was left connected while the switch was replaced. The key fobs no longer work something is wrong with the electronic control system. The dealer washed the car and didn't return the mirrors to the correct position(break away fold mirrors) service quality is not being managed at this dealership.. I think is simply the result of poor service management at matthews-hargreaves Chevrolet in royal oak mi but the result is I have a vehicle with a damaged electronic control system that is not safe for my wife to drive. I can't go back to the dealership because I don't want to risk myself to the quality of repair service provided. The GM complaint line isn't helping because they wouldn't replace the fobs that were lost until I found them today when their recall caused me to loose them in the first place with nothing hanging on the key of course the fobs got lost. GM complaint number 71-1444284438 because I found the key fobs today 3/1/15 but they don't work because the electronic control system was damaged by the poor quality of service at the dealership.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Aug 092014

HHR 4-cyl

2008 Chevrolet HHR. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle accident due to loss of power. The vehicle was totaled.

- Mount Airy, NC, USA

Feb 282009

HHR 4-cyl

Was locked in vehicle and unable to get door to open from inside. Have had defect with door locks sticking from purchase. Door has failed to unlock with sister in vehicle, failed to unlock with husband in vehicle and my daughter. Been in dealer nine times for locks sticking. Is being locked in vehicle dangerous? updated 01/28/15..updated 10/08/15

- Conroe, TX, USA

Oct 202014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled and the windshield wiper activated independently. The contact mentioned that whenever any of the electrical components were turned on the vehicle would automatically turn off. The vehicle was not taken to dealer or independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Delbarton, WV, USA

Oct 012014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that whether the vehicle was shut off or turned on, the power locks for all the doors would activate intermittently. The contact had to use the lock and unlock button on the front driver's side door to lock or unlock any of the other doors. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Spring City, TN, USA

Sep 022013

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the security warning light illuminated and other unknown warning lights flickered. The contact also stated that when driving up a hill or making a U-turn, the power steering and the security warning lights illuminated and unknown warning lights flickered. In addition, the vehicle jerked and the steering wheel seized on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three occasions where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was not available.

- Arvonia, VA, USA

Sep 012012

HHR 4-cyl

Back in 2012 my seat belt warning chimes and all warning chimes quit operating. Since then about once a week the chimes and the radio quit for a few day's and then will come back on for a day or so. My biggest complaint is when it's not working you have no seat belt warning chime and I've caught my grand kids unbuckled a couple of times. I brought this to GM's attention but they didn't seem to think it was a warranty issue. I was told by my dealer it doesn't matter if the chimes worked or not. I seem to be the only person concerned and call it what it is, a safety problem!

- Union, MO, USA

Apr 092014

HHR

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the remedy for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (electrical system) failed. The specifics of the failure were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 11/20/14 the ignition switch was replace twice. The consumer stated the problem still exists. Updated 12/11/14

- Prescott Valley , AZ, USA

Sep 172014

HHR

I start my car and go to pull out onto the road and there was no power steering which could have caused me to wreck. The power steering light came on. I pulled over and shut the car off and restarted the car. Same problem. Very very dangerous!!!..updated 10/15/14 updated 4/7/2015

- Chilhowie, VA, USA