8.5

2. replace power steering motor (1 reports)
2008 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Apr 032014

HHR LT 2.0L

MY POWER STEERING GOES OUT ALL THE TIME. I HAVE HAD IT GO OUT AS MANY AS 12 TIMES WITHIN A 1 MILE RADIUS. THEY JUST FIXED THE IGNITION BUT DID NOTHING ABOUT THIS, THEY'RE TELLING ME MY CAR ISN'T ON THE RECALL FOR THIS PROBLEM!!! REALLY!!!!

GM SURE DOES SUCK, THEY WAIT FOR PEOPLE TO BE KILLED OR HURT BADLY BEFORE THEY TAKE ANY ACTION.

- , Auburn, ME, USA

Jun 012014

HHR LS 2.2L

POWER STEERING is very important and seems as though I'm not the only one out there that has this problem! I am 6'2" tall and weigh 260lbs. in good shape, and for the life of me when the power steering goes out it's worse than driving a full fledged semi-truck trying to steer the car. I can't help but think how hard it is (no a fence to ladies) for the women to steer this car when the power steering goes into error. I called the dealer, the service rep told me that the 2008 HHR is not on recall yet but give it a month and it should be. Other models with the same type of steering controls are on recall but not the HHR. I have an appointment this Tuesday for the ignition switch recall and I am going to tell them that I want the car back with the power steering operating, shame on you GENERAL MOTORS, I have owned your products for the last 40+years and currently I own seven general Motors vehicles...

I've paid my dues, now it's time to represent your constituency...

- , Canton, MI, USA

Aug 252013

HHR LT

On Aug. 25th, I had a car accident which involved my power steering. I called the cops. It was happening not often then, every few seconds the light on my dash board comes on and it cuts off. I called GM but they said that there wasn't a recall on it.

- , Elkton, MD, USA

Jan 262014

HHR LT 2.2L

Driving on a county road had to turn a sharp right turn in the road....it was like going back in the day without power steering. It just took me by surprise and with a good effort for me, I made the turn. Good thing no cars were coming as I crossed the center some. Then when I got home & looked for a visual problem that's when I found out I have electric assist on my steering. When the car was started again everything works. This is the electrical world. Other than the typical front brake problems been a good auto.

- , Lenexa, KS, USA

Jan 162014

HHR LT 2.2L V4

I think it should be a recall ,because there have been lots of complaints and it is going to cost me a lot of money to get it fixed. the part by itself cost over 600.00.

- , Garner, NC, USA

Apr 012014

HHR LT 2.6L

You start the car, go, and the power steering warning lights up on the dash. Yes, if you stop and shut the car off it will go off. I had on-star checked, they show no problem with power steering. But if it's cold out it works find with no problem at all. But if it's hot out the power steering stays lit up. All I know is Chevy needs to get off there butts and do recalls on these before it comes down to people getting killed in car accidents due to the power steering problems. D. Lawson North Fort Myers, Florida

- , North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 162013

HHR LT Wagon 2.2L

It could have been very dangerous. Thankfully, I was living in flatlands at the time, and curves weren't predominant. Dealership couldn't fit me in for 5 days. Had to drive out of state, and it would go in and out. The only solution was to shut off the engine, and restart. Doable while driving in low traffic areas, pain in the ass at night.

- , Blacksburg, VA, USA

Nov 012013

HHR

Power Steering out same as everyone else. I use this vehicle for my small, very small business. I sell at Farmer's Market's. Try getting around booths and people at a slow speed with no steering, horrible! In tears the other day trying to parallel park into my booth spot. I called the dealer. No recall. It will cost 100+ dollars for them just to look at it! Chevrolet, are you kidding me? All over the net there are complaints...83 and counting on this site alone! I'm going to take them to small claims court if they make me pay for this. Glad everyone else is complaining too! It will help my case in court.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 082011

HHR Limited 4 cyl

at first the power steering fuse blew out and i got a new one at the deeler. Sometimes it would steer great for weeks on end than all of sudden it would lock up. I would check the power assist fuse and it would be fine. The last time it locked up had no control over the car hit a pole and now the car is totaled out. the doors would also lock but the key would not open it. had to call for road side assistance several times. now i have to look for another car im sure it WILL NOY BE AN HHR.

- , Avenel, New Jersey, USA

Oct 132010

HHR

dealer has had it a couple times..can not tell what parts need swapping out.not really mechanics if have to read a pc screen to see parts to swap out. this power steering locking up is a dangerous safety issue. changing and loose power the suddenly comes back on ,,oversteering. also the tire pressure light is on all the time air pressure is correct on all 4...hmm maybe its the spare?

- , West Monroe, LA, USA

Mar 102009

HHR LT

as with the Cobalt, which has the same chassis as the HHR, the power steering will shut down intermittently and it is getting worse. Now it shuts down after every re-start! I know Chevy had a recall, BECAUSE THE ON DASH GLOVE BOX OPENS IN A CRASH!!! Well, maybe if they recalled it for the power steering issue, it WOULDN'T CRASH IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!! This really is a MAJOR safety issue.

- , Worcester, MA, USA