8.4

2. replace power steering motor (1 reports)
2008 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet HHR:

2008 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Jan 072015

HHR LE 2.4L

The Cobalt model was recalled for this problem, so why not the HHR? What is the matter GM, to many recalls? I used to be a test driver for you, and I know exactly why you have problems.....a little inside knowledge.....So please can you also recall this the motor is exactly the same one on the HHR. I can't afford to replace this, it is a parts problem so it is in your court.

- , Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Nov 112014

HHR ES

After we had the recalls done on the ignition, which is electrical, about two days later we were driving down the road with are grand kids in the, and all of a sudden the power steering went out on the dam car. I called the dealer to let them know about it and the answer we got was that has nothing to do with what we done in your car and if you want that problem fixed, we would have to pay for a diagnostic and the repair. Pretty dam funny that we never had any problems until they screwed with the dam electrical then we have all this sh*t happening sure makes people want to buy another f*cking Chevrolet especially after we even called the manufacturer and got nowhere really good customer service.

- , Joshua, TX, USA

Jul 302014

HHR LT 2.4L I4

Power steering constantly shuts down, causing me to rant, rave, and drive my wife bonkers. I insist that if a car is built to perform a function, then it should do it. Otherwise, leave it off and tell me the car can't do it. More of a PITA so far, but could be hazardous or fatal if my wife were driving when it occurred.

- , Conyers, GA, USA

Oct 232014

HHR

THIS HAS BEEN A TRYING TIME FOR ME. I LIVE PAY CHECK TO PAY CHECK BUT WITH THE GRACE OF GOD I'M MAKING IT.

TO THE PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR. THE FIRST TIME THE POWER STEERING WENT OUT DALLAS HAD A VERY BAD WINTER STORM, ROADS WERE FROZEN OVER AND VERY HARD TO DRIVE...I WAS ALREADY HAVING A HARD TIME DRIVING TO WORK BUT I HAD TO GET THERE, CAN'T MISS MY MONEY, THAT'S HOW I SURVIVE, AND THE POWER STEERING WENT OUT. I SLID AND MY CAR SPUN ABOUT 2 TIMES. I WAS SCARED TO DEATH, SO SCARED I HAD TO CALL THE TOW TRUCK TO TOW ME TO WORK. I DIDN'T HIT ANYTHING OR ANYONE.

THIS PROBLEM WITH THE POWER STEERING SCARED ME STRAIGHT. I SLEEP AT MY JOB FOR 2 DAYS UNTIL THE ROADS STARTED TO CLEAR UP. OK NOW IT'S WINTER AGAIN AND THE FREAKING POWER STEERING KEEPS GOING OUT EVERY BUMP, POT HOLE, UP HILL, IT JUST WON'T STOP LOCKING UP ON ME. SO I TOOK IT TO THE SHOP AND THEY PULLED THE SO CALL RECALL ON IT AND TOLD ME TO TAKE IT TO THE CHEVY HOUSE AND THEY WILL FIX IT FOR FREE. SO I DID GET THERE, SHOW THEM THE RECALL FOR THIS, AND THEY TOOK MY VIN AND SAID YOUR CAR ISN'T ON THE RECALL LIST FOR THIS PROBLEM ONLY FOR THE KEY SWITCH. SO I LET IT GO AND LET THEM FIX THE KEY.

YESTERDAY I TOOK MY CAR FOR TUNE UP AND LOW AND BEHOLD THEY TELL ME THE SAME THING ABOUT THIS RECALL. I TOLD THEM THAT WHAT THE CHEVY HOUSE TOLD ME, HE WOULD CHECK ON IT FOR ME. THROUGH A FRIEND THAT WORK'S FOR CHEVY, AND THE MAN SAID THAT OTHER CHEVY SERVICE CENTERS WILL NOT TELL YOU THAT THEY HAVE AN SPECIAL COVERAGE THAT COVERS THE CONDITIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE FOR THE LIFE OF THE VEHICLE, REGARDLESS OF THE OWNERSHIP.

DEALERS ARE TO REPLACE THE POWER STEERING MOTOR. THE REPAIRS WILL BE MADE AT NO COST TO THE CUSTOMER. DON'T LET THEM FOUL Y'ALL . THE IDEM NUMBER IS #14119. THE CHEVY DEALERSHIP TRIED TO TELL ME THIS SAME THING AGAIN UNTIL I TOLD THE INFORMATION I WAS GIVEN, AND NOW THEY ARE GOING TO FIX IT. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WITH A CAR FROM THE WORST CAR DEALERSHIP EVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

Jan 012015

HHR

In the middle of the WORST ice storm we've seen(so far this winter) the power steering on my 2008 Chevy HHR just goes out! I'm having a hard enough problem driving in the ice and now THIS. I just barely made it home. I have had more problems with this car than ANY other car I have ever owned. The struts are garbage and make a clunking sound whenever its cold out, the ignition locked up on me in the ON position, the turn signal won't cancel, and now THIS with the power steering. God only knows what's next. One thing is for sure, I will NEVER buy another GM car as long as I live.

- , Lubbock, TX, USA

Sep 122014

HHR LT

I drive mountain roads every day. Today, my power steering shut off on a mountain curve and the Power Steering Alert light came on. Had to shut off the engine and restart for it to work again, but only for about one mile before it happened again. I was able to able to control the vehicle, but what if my wife had been driving (its her car).

The HHR has only 49,000 miles on it. Judging from the number of complaints on the internet, I am furious that GM has not put out a recall for the 2008 HHR's. Was considering buying a new Chevy Equinox but now I'm going to have second thoughts based on all the recent recall problems with GM.

I'm still waiting after three months to have my HHR ignition replaced!!

- , Ot Springs, Virginia, USA

Apr 032014

HHR LT 2.0L

MY POWER STEERING GOES OUT ALL THE TIME. I HAVE HAD IT GO OUT AS MANY AS 12 TIMES WITHIN A 1 MILE RADIUS. THEY JUST FIXED THE IGNITION BUT DID NOTHING ABOUT THIS, THEY'RE TELLING ME MY CAR ISN'T ON THE RECALL FOR THIS PROBLEM!!! REALLY!!!!

GM SURE DOES SUCK, THEY WAIT FOR PEOPLE TO BE KILLED OR HURT BADLY BEFORE THEY TAKE ANY ACTION.

- , Auburn, ME, USA

Jun 012014

HHR LS 2.2L

POWER STEERING is very important and seems as though I'm not the only one out there that has this problem! I am 6'2" tall and weigh 260lbs. in good shape, and for the life of me when the power steering goes out it's worse than driving a full fledged semi-truck trying to steer the car. I can't help but think how hard it is (no a fence to ladies) for the women to steer this car when the power steering goes into error. I called the dealer, the service rep told me that the 2008 HHR is not on recall yet but give it a month and it should be. Other models with the same type of steering controls are on recall but not the HHR. I have an appointment this Tuesday for the ignition switch recall and I am going to tell them that I want the car back with the power steering operating, shame on you GENERAL MOTORS, I have owned your products for the last 40+years and currently I own seven general Motors vehicles...

I've paid my dues, now it's time to represent your constituency...

- , Canton, MI, USA

Aug 252013

HHR LT

On Aug. 25th, I had a car accident which involved my power steering. I called the cops. It was happening not often then, every few seconds the light on my dash board comes on and it cuts off. I called GM but they said that there wasn't a recall on it.

- , Elkton, MD, USA

Jan 262014

HHR LT 2.2L

Driving on a county road had to turn a sharp right turn in the road....it was like going back in the day without power steering. It just took me by surprise and with a good effort for me, I made the turn. Good thing no cars were coming as I crossed the center some. Then when I got home & looked for a visual problem that's when I found out I have electric assist on my steering. When the car was started again everything works. This is the electrical world. Other than the typical front brake problems been a good auto.

- , Lenexa, KS, USA

Jan 162014

HHR LT 2.2L V4

I think it should be a recall ,because there have been lots of complaints and it is going to cost me a lot of money to get it fixed. the part by itself cost over 600.00.

- , Garner, NC, USA

Apr 012014

HHR LT 2.6L

You start the car, go, and the power steering warning lights up on the dash. Yes, if you stop and shut the car off it will go off. I had on-star checked, they show no problem with power steering. But if it's cold out it works find with no problem at all. But if it's hot out the power steering stays lit up. All I know is Chevy needs to get off there butts and do recalls on these before it comes down to people getting killed in car accidents due to the power steering problems. D. Lawson North Fort Myers, Florida

- , North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 162013

HHR LT Wagon 2.2L

It could have been very dangerous. Thankfully, I was living in flatlands at the time, and curves weren't predominant. Dealership couldn't fit me in for 5 days. Had to drive out of state, and it would go in and out. The only solution was to shut off the engine, and restart. Doable while driving in low traffic areas, pain in the ass at night.

- , Blacksburg, VA, USA

Nov 012013

HHR

Power Steering out same as everyone else. I use this vehicle for my small, very small business. I sell at Farmer's Market's. Try getting around booths and people at a slow speed with no steering, horrible! In tears the other day trying to parallel park into my booth spot. I called the dealer. No recall. It will cost 100+ dollars for them just to look at it! Chevrolet, are you kidding me? All over the net there are complaints...83 and counting on this site alone! I'm going to take them to small claims court if they make me pay for this. Glad everyone else is complaining too! It will help my case in court.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

May 082011

HHR Limited 4 cyl

at first the power steering fuse blew out and i got a new one at the deeler. Sometimes it would steer great for weeks on end than all of sudden it would lock up. I would check the power assist fuse and it would be fine. The last time it locked up had no control over the car hit a pole and now the car is totaled out. the doors would also lock but the key would not open it. had to call for road side assistance several times. now i have to look for another car im sure it WILL NOY BE AN HHR.

- , Avenel, New Jersey, USA

Oct 132010

HHR

dealer has had it a couple times..can not tell what parts need swapping out.not really mechanics if have to read a pc screen to see parts to swap out. this power steering locking up is a dangerous safety issue. changing and loose power the suddenly comes back on ,,oversteering. also the tire pressure light is on all the time air pressure is correct on all 4...hmm maybe its the spare?

- , West Monroe, LA, USA

Mar 102009

HHR LT

as with the Cobalt, which has the same chassis as the HHR, the power steering will shut down intermittently and it is getting worse. Now it shuts down after every re-start! I know Chevy had a recall, BECAUSE THE ON DASH GLOVE BOX OPENS IN A CRASH!!! Well, maybe if they recalled it for the power steering issue, it WOULDN'T CRASH IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!! This really is a MAJOR safety issue.

- , Worcester, MA, USA