2.5

2009 Chevrolet HHR drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

2009 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Mar 052012

HHR

The contact owns 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle began to sputter without warning. The failure occurred continuously over a two year period. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Jan 132014

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the vehicle would hesitant to accelerate from a traffic stop. The contact was able to drive the vehicle in reverse but the vehicle would not respond when in drive. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,300. The VIN was not available.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 122013

HHR 4-cyl

Called the Chevy dealer, told me that it was Friday and to call first thing Monday morning. As I continued on freeway I realized that the ride was rougher, something was very wrong. To steer was harder, trip odometer both were not working, cruise control would not engage, speedometer was not working, transmission not shifting easily, pulled into Chevy dealer, found the service manager. Asked him to check the car, hours on sign stated that someone would available until 5:30. It was currently 4:50 pm. He assured me that is was safe to drive care: Pulled out of dealership, transmission would not shift at all. Engine light came on turned around, went back. He was just leaving to go home it was 5:10 at this time. When he saw me he got out of his car, came over, I told him the increased changes and why I turned around:I had my 80 year old aunt with me I live 14 miles outside of town it was Friday afternoon I did not want to make matters worse by driving this car say an accident or doing more damage to the repairs needed. He put it on the analysis scope he said he had mixed messages. One was it said power steering but with the wrong code. After that there was nothing that showed up. He again assured me that we would be fine! I pulled out of the dealership, drove 2 miles, then was coasting! had no transmission. Pulled over to side of road, turned off the engine sat for a few minutes, restarted continued down the highway with my flashers on. It would not shift higher than second gear.we limped to a friends house parked the car, they gave us a ride home. What would have happened if I had continued down that road. Please help.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

Jan 162013

HHR 4-cyl

I pulled in my driveway and put the car in park and could not turn off the key. I tried to everything, steering wheel, key, shifter, brakes, etc and I could not turn the car off or get the key out. I had to pull a fuse to get the car to shut down. This problem is similar, if not exactly, the same of other complaints on this type car. I will probably have to have it towed and repaired by a dealer at great expense. Not good for GM.

- Fayetteville, TN, USA

Oct 272012

HHR

Buyers beware: On Saturday evening we put the HHR into park and went to turn off the key and the key got stuck in the ignition. Tried several times to reput the car into gear and turn they key but it was permanently stuck in the on position. Had to wind up pulling a fuse out of the engine to cut off the car. Just took it to the dealership and they are refusing to acknowledge a problem and are forcing us to pay hundreds of dollars to get the car fixed. They are also blaming us for pulling the fuse and it causing an indicator light to come on.

- Olar, SC, USA

Sep 102012

HHR

The car won't shift down to reverse neutral or drive.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Mar 242012

HHR

Last night our 2009 HHR would not turn off, and the key was stuck in the ignition. After looking at all the correspondence online related to this problem, we tried everything to shut the car off. We attempted to depress the solenoid switch behind the square covering in the bottom of the steering column, disconnected the battery, and ended up pulling the fuel fuse. We were in a hospital garage, and placed in a compromising position with theft, and not knowing if the car was actually engaged in "park." It was Saturday night, and of course, it will be looked at by the Chevy dealer Monday morning. I truly hope this will be covered by a recall.

- Brandon, MS, USA