2009 Chevrolet HHR electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet HHR:

2009 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Oct 212013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the instrument panel lights would illuminate intermittently. Additionally, the contact was crashed into from the rear by another vehicle, causing the contact to crash into a guard rail. The contact was taken to a hospital for treatment of mild whiplash and bruising to the chest. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V171000 (electrical system), 14V171000 (electrical system), and 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) but did not prevent the failures from recurring. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Forestville , NY, USA

May 252014

HHR 4-cyl

After pulling the vehicle into a parking space, I attempted to switch the ignition to the off position. The switch would not move from the run position to the off position. However; it would move from the run position to the start position. This failure to rotate to the off position left the engine running. Key could not be removed from the ignition.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 172014

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Apr 202014

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the key would become stuck in the ignition and the vehicle could not be shut off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition module and the ignition switch needed to be replaced.the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id numbers: 14V171000 (electrical system) or 14V047000 (electrical system). The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54000.

- Parkland, FL, USA

Sep 012013

HHR

My air bag service indicator light turns on intermittently. At least 5 times in the past year, no accidents, no problem seen with air bags by service dept at dealer. "??".the safety lock on the drivers side controls for all passenger windows does not lock the window operation. Braking system problem in the past 6 months. Ive returned to the mechanic 4 times had my brake pads changed, rotors turned, rotors resurfaced, only to have the same problem.....steering wheel shuddering bad when applying the brake. The rotors overheat and warp, but I will drive only 2 blocks and it happens. Don't think that is enough to overheat the rotors.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Feb 122013

HHR 4-cyl

Air bag needs service warning light came on intermittently over several months! scan diagnosed a problem with a connector (part# 013580234) was defective. Cost to repair $231.01 06/14/2013

- Minden, NV, USA

Nov 112013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The vehicle was not able to be restarted and was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000.

- Bronzwick, GA, USA

Mar 142014

HHR 4-cyl

Taken the car to dealer multiple times, for power steering failure as well as the car stalling.. was told there was nothing that could be done about the car... was side swiped on road on 03/14/2014... car barely tapped us and we lost control of the car due to power steering issue... ran into the guardrail.. car was totaled while the other car (a 2005 Toyota prius) drove home... driver had head injuries while passenger had contusions to his right hand from airbags. This car is a death trap waiting to happen..

- Candler, NC, USA

Aug 102013

HHR 8-cyl

While driving in a parking lot I heard a ding, looked down at the dash and saw that a power steering warning light was on. I tried pulling into a parking space and noticed that I had no power steering assist and had to muscle the car over. I turned off the engine, restarted it and everything seemed ok. This issue started happening every few days after that, sometimes at highway speed. This is a very dangerous situation, had this been a less strong person like my wife or an elderly person she would not have had the strength to steer the car! after doing extensive research I was shocked at what I found. The HHR is built on a Chevy cobalt chassis, and the cobalt has a recall for this same exact issue but Chevy had not had a recall on the HHR, not is the us anyway. Canada has forced GM to do a recall on the HHR for this same exact issue but to date it has not been done in the us. The defective steering motor part number recalled on the cobalt was the same exact part number as the HHR, so why has this not been addressed on the HHR" if you'll read some of the HHR forums you'll learn that mine was not as isolated occurrence, it is very common and seems to start happening when the cars get around 50,000 miles. Had this happened to an elder person at highway speeds chances are they would not have been able to control the vehicle, this disables the steering! I had this repaired at an astronomical cost of over $800. My car was still under warranty, but surprise surprise GM said this is not covered under the chassis warranty? what, the steering is not a component of the chassis" this issue needs to be addressed, im surprised someone's life has not already been lost over this issue. Please force GM to recall this issue and refund ones like me that have had to pay out of our pockets to have this repaired.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Jun 202013

HHR 4-cyl

Headlights will go out suddenly while driving down the highway. Have replaced the headlights numerous times! this could cause a crash! something needs to be done!

- Richland, MO, USA

Jun 022013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the engine stalled numerous times while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the mechanic, who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the ignition switch. The ignition switch was replaced. The manufacturer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (electrical system). The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000 and the approximate current mileage was 50,000.

- Plainwell , MI, USA

Mar 182013

HHR

When I pulled into my driveway I could not shut my car off. It would not turn and I could not get the key out. I had to drive it to the dealer, thankfully they were still open for the day, to have it fixed. I ended up paying about $100 to have the ignition cylinder re-keyed.

- Independence, IA, USA

Nov 262013

HHR 4-cyl

When I parked my car in the driveway my keys got stuck in the ignition and I couldn't turn my car off.I had to get it towed to a dealers who replaced the ignition. The next day my security light went on so I took it back to the dealers they we're very busy so they checked to see if my keys were programmed then the light went off so we thought it was ok. I left the dealers and within 200ft my HHR stalled and doors locked with me inside the vehicle. I called them back with my cellphone from inside the car then the doors suddenly unlocked and I was able to drive back to the dealers.they gave me a car to use. I left my HHR there so they could hook it up to the computer to see what was wrong. Alot of codes came up they said but they cleared them and said they reprogrammed my keys. The only code left was a icp code but they said I didn't need a icp panel so I took my car back. When I came out of work at 1am I unlocked my car and started my HHR up. It stalled immeditatly.with the keys stuck in the start position I tried it again after about 10 min and it started up and I drove home. I called the dealer again and they said bring it Monday again but they cant lend me a car until its fixed or promise that they can fix it. I tried to start it now and I can but I really am afraid to drive it but I have too to bring it back to the dealers. Very scary and bothersome thing. I increased my insurance and will be only taking sideroads until someone figures this out.

- Wolcott, CT, USA

Nov 302013

HHR

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that the key became lodged in the ignition switch, preventing the contact from powering off the vehicle. The contact mentioned that in order to power off the vehicle, the battery had to be disconnected and a fuse had to be removed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 65,500.

- Mohnton, PA, USA

Oct 302013

HHR

Ignition cylinder will not release the key. Ignition release spring works (moves freely) yet will not release the key. I had to remove the fuel pump fuse to turn off the car and, since the key was frozen in the on position, disconnect the battery. I was informed that the 'key stuck' issue was addressed under the Chevy service bulletin (09-02-35-005B, Feb 4, 2010) yet not on recall list. Was there a recall on this problem?

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Oct 132013

HHR

Drove HHR today, and when I went to turn off ignition, I could not turn the car off. Had to disconnect the battery, and pull a fuse. Taking car in tomorrow for repair. There was a mechanic in the lot I was in, who stated this is not the first time he has seen this problem on HHR ignition problem. Stated it is a tumbler issue, and Chevy is aware of this.

- Portage, IN, USA

Aug 092013

HHR

While driving the 2009 Chevy HHR back from work, without warning, the electric power steering stopped and a warning message came up on the dic. Once ignition was shut off the problem cleared temporarily. Over the past 24 hours the power steering has continued to exhibit the same erratic behavior.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 012013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving at various speeds the power steering goes out making the difficult to control. I did research only to find that many other HHR owners experienced the same issue and several other Chevy models were recalled for the same issue. The Chevy dealer verified that the issue I was having (failure of the power steering motor) was the same issue seen in many other Chevy models. Chevy would not fix it and washed their hands of it. This has happened at various speeds. Restarting the car temporarily fixes it.

- St. Robert, MO, USA

May 182011

HHR 4-cyl

This is my 2nd HHR first was great this is horrible. First problem was my locking mechanism on drivers side would not work. After the third time in the dealership they changed out the lock mechanism. Then I started having problems with my window not rolling down and my dash light going out for a period of 2-3 seconds. They fixed the window but could never find out what was going on with the dash. Then my airbag service light started coming on I had to take in twice for this incident. My steering problem started when I took my son in to do his driving test and all of a sudden it became very difficult to turn. We parked the car gave it a few minutes and started driving again, did the test and on the way home it happened again. We have just had to many problems with this vehicle.

- Willis , TX, USA

Apr 192013

HHR 4-cyl

I turned the key and started my car and then I couldn't turn it off. I could take the key out but it wouldn't shut off > I see that there are many problems online like this but I don't see a recall. This is going to cost me almost $ $500.

- Millbury, MA, USA