2010 Chevrolet HHR brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet HHR:

2010 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 232013

HHR 4-cyl

I have had two issues with this car and it has made me feel unsafe when driving it. The first involves the brakes. When braking after driving at 45mph or more, the steering wheel begins shaking. I was told the brake pads needed to be changed. I did and the problem still continued. Last month, the power steering light came on the dashboard. For a couple of days, it went away but soon the steering wheel became too hard to turn. Took it to mechanic who changed the power steering module as indicated by the diagnostics test. Once the change was done, the service ESC light came on and the car has been crazy ever since. I have yet to resolve the issue as nobody knows what is wrong with my car. It has been almost a month already. I am unhappy with this car and would not recommend to anybody. After looking it up, I see that many have this same issue. It is very unsafe since this can happen at any moment while driving!

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 112012

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving my car to the dollar store and was stopped at the red "left turn" arrow, and all of a sudden, the "power steering" sign flashed on my dashboard and my car made a "ding ding" noise. When the light turned green, I turned left and it was extremely hard for me to turn the wheel. It has been happening since. I will turn the car off, and when I turn the car back on, it drives fine for the first few minutes, and then the "power steering" sign came back on. The "power steering" sign has also appeared when I was making a right turn which caused the wheel to lock up in the middle of a turn. The car jerked and I almost crashed into a black sedan. I have a small child who sits in the back seat. I don't have much money, so I can not afford to pay the dealership to get this issue fixed. I took it to a cheap repair shop, and they could not find the issue. I have been looking online to find what ways I can fix this without it costing me a lot of money. Have not been able to find a solution, so I am currently driving with no "power steering" which can be very dangerous. In addition to my power steering going out, a couple months ago, I went out to my car to get in my car, and put my key in the ignition and turned the car on. Made it to the store, and when I was getting ready to get out of the car, the key would not come out of the ignition. I could not turn it, or anything. The car would not turn off. I had to have aaa disconnect my battery so that my car didn't have to stay running until the dealership opened in the morning. My key had to sit in the ignition over night, someone could have stolen my car. I took it to the dealership the next morning and they had to replace the whole ignition cylinder.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

May 022011

HHR 4-cyl

We were driving our HHR on a clear sunny day and the ecs came on and off causing the vehicle to shake and become uncontrollable until we pulled off the road and shut the HHR off and turned it back on, this was the first indecent. We took the HHR to the dealer and they reprogrammed the computer, this worked for almost a year before it started doing this again. We have once again took it to the dealer and have been told there is nothing wrong with the HHR, I asked them what to do because the HHR is unsafe when the ecs fails because you have no control over the vehicle, and they told me they have no answers.

- Bucksport, ME, USA

Oct 242010

HHR 4-cyl

I had another car pull partially out of a driveway into the path of my 2010 HHR lt and there was not enough distance between me and the other vehicle to stop. There was another car in the other lane traveling towards me but there was enough space where I could get around the car that pulled out of the driveway and be out of the way of the car in the other lane, but when I turned the wheel rapidly to the left and tried to speed up the stability control came on and would not allow my 2010 HHR to gain speed almost resulting in a head on wreck.

- Pinetops, NC, USA