2010 Chevrolet HHR steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet HHR:

2010 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Oct 012013

HHR 4-cyl

10/1/13 as I left work, heading home, the car drove fine for approx. The first five minutes. Out of nowhere, the steering became tight, as if it locked up. I could not turn the wheel left or right, the car almost instantly produced more heat, I felt the heat around my feet and it came through the vents. I looked at the dic panel and power steering was flashing. There was a smell as if the car was burning. With force, I was able to maneuver the car to a parking lot to sit. After reading through the user manual, I followed the suggestions from the manual, turned the wheel left and right hoping it would loosen and letting the car sit idle. After about two hours of sitting, my brother drove the car home with no problem. 10/2/13 I took the car, early morning, to be inspected by a local repair company. After running diagnostics on the car, I was told that once diagnostics began immediately power steering control circuit was diagnosed as an issue, the only issue from the diagnostic report, that had malfunctioned. I was also informed that could be the reason why one minute power steering malfunctioned and hours later it worked fine. I was also told that normally something like this is recalled by the automaker.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

Sep 302013

HHR

Power steering intermittently goes out. The car dings 3 times, the console flashes "power steering" and the car becomes very heavy and hard to turn. Turning the car off and back on resolves the issue in the short term, but it continues to happen at random.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Sep 282013

HHR

2010 HHR with 35,000 miles, steering message came on and car wouldn't steer. Stopped car and steering came back on for a while then went out again. Did this several times over weekend making steering almost impossible. Took car to dealer, they replaced the motor stating it was overheating, per computer. Cost me $271, I am retired and it has put me in a financial squeeze. Reason I bought a new car to avoid having problems like this, still making car payments. Definitely believe this is a major defect on this car.

- Slatersville, RI, USA

Sep 282013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering system malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to seize. The contact stated that after shutting the vehicle off, the vehicle was restarted and resumed without failure. The contact did not take the vehicle to a mechanic or a dealer. The failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 2/11/14

- Centerline, MI, USA

Aug 172012

HHR

For no reason the power steering just stopped working, ,making the vehicle impossible to steer, ,after you shut the vehicle off and restart it, , the power steering came back on only to stop again when it felt like it, ,at slow speeds as well as high, ,if it were snowing or on slippery roads this could of been a major fatality, ,,very unsafe if children are in the vehicle

- East Boston, MA, USA

Aug 282013

HHR

During normal driving conditions, the power steering will fail making steering difficult. The problem reset with a key cycle. This intermittent problem has become more frequent during the last month.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Aug 222013

HHR 4-cyl

On the highway I heard some warning beeps and my info screen said "power steering". my steering became increasingly more difficult to use especially after I got off the highway. After turning off the car and turning the car back on the steering worked again. Now it goes out every so often. Seems to be a common problem on the HHR, but no recall yet.

- Portland, ME, USA

Aug 122013

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving and the power steering light went on, the car started to smell like it was on fire and the power steering was gone. Lost control of the vehicle and hit a curb. No injuries and no other damage to vehicle. Could have been worse if inexperienced driver or elderly person was behind the wheel.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 262013

HHR

I was driving on the expressway and my power steering warning came on and vehicle was tighter, after exiting the expressway the vehicle became even harder to steer. I pulled into a has station checked all the fuses all we're fine, restarted the vehicle power steering worked again, after a few miles the power steering light came back on and was difficult to turn. This is very dangerous I had 3 small children in my vehicle and could have been a very bad situation.

- Ecorse, MI, USA

Jul 232013

HHR 4-cyl

Power steering light comes on while im driving. Im unable to turn my wheel w/O using alot of force.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 142013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the steering wheel failed and tightened with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- South Duzbury, VT, USA

Jul 132013

HHR 4-cyl

The power steering on my 2010 Chevy HHR failed as I was driving causing me to hit another driver. Chevy has problems with the cobalt and the HHR has many similarities to the cobalt. I think a recall is needed before someone dies. If you look online many HHR owners are having issues! please help us the innocent consumer.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jul 062013

HHR 4-cyl

In the last week the power steering has went out 5+ times while driving it on city streets. I will be driving around 40 mph then I will here a dinging sound then look at the dash and it says power steering. After it says power steering there will be a complete loss in power steering assist from the electronic power steering. This is a big safety hazard because it could easily cause a wreck if driving around a curve when it goes out.

- Conway, AR, USA

Apr 182013

HHR 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the contact lost power steering assist. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,050. Updated 8/21/13 the dealer replaced the power steering motor. Updated 09/05/13

- East Haven, CT, USA

Jul 062013

HHR 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at 60 miles an hour when I heard a ding ding I look at my message board and it said power steering. I had a hard time steering and making turns. I shut my car off and the message went a way and I could steer again. About 5 miles down the road I heard a ding ding and it was my power steering light again I had a hard time steering. Luckily I mad it home. I only have 73,000 and no power steering.

- Gladwin, MI, USA

Oct 242012

HHR 4-cyl

While driving the power steering warning light dinged and I had been making a turn which almost caused a accident not knowing why it went out. I can drive the car for 1 or 2 miles and it keeps going out and I have to restart the car for it to be working again but im told it some type of module that controls it and its not covered by any warranty. I think Chevy needs to correct this issue before someone is killed for a steering issue. I see I am not the only one with this issue there have been others.

- Eastpointe , MI, USA

Jul 012013

HHR

Entering a roundabout at only 27mph and power steering quit making it very difficult to control my car. Any other situation at higher speed could have been catastrophic. There is a recall for the cobalt model GM but not the HHR model.

- Apalachin, NY, USA

Jun 212013

HHR

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Apr 292013

HHR 4-cyl

While driving on the highway my power steering stopped working I heard a 3 beep warning looked down at the dash and on the display "power steering" was displayed. I called the dealer and I was told that my car was 304 miles over my warranty and that this was not recalled. I went home and started to do research and to my surprise I wasn't the only one with this issue, there are thousands of them online with the same issue. This is very scary for me because I have a 4 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. I don't want this to be a reason for me to have an accident. Chevy isn't helping me in anyway, I need help. Thank you for your time.

- Bordentown, NJ, USA

Mar 202013

HHR 4-cyl

Bought used 2010 Chevy HHR in early February 2013 from a dealer. Shortly after the 30 day warranty is over, message lights up on the dash while driving "power steering" then the power steering turns off. I almost crashed as I was turning the first time I experienced this! the power steering is restored when you restart the car. This happens sporadically all the time, at any speed and sometimes several times in just a 10 minute drive. The car is hard to steer when the power steering goes off and is seriously dangerous!

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA