2011 Chevrolet HHR miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet HHR:

2011 Chevrolet HHR Owner Comments

Nov 122013

I am 1 person, and my door handles on the inside are plastic and have broken off! I have to climb to the back and have 1 door that still has a handle working! I only have 48000 miles on it! the handles are cheap plastic and I live in fflorida and it gets hot!

- Bartow, FL, USA

Nov 152013

In colder temperatures my car sputters when accelerating and rpms jump quickly from 2 to 3 and then back down. In addition, the radio may turn off, all dash gauges (fuel, speed, rpms) go to 0, various service lights come on (not always the same) and then everything goes back to normal. Car works fine in warmer temperatures. Took it to the dealership in 2013 and when plugged in there were reports if 20 things wrong and they were unable to determine the problem and said it would cost thousand to check all of the issues being reported. I contacted GM customer service and although they were very nice they weren't able to help determine what the issue with my vehicle was. I took it to another service place and while they were unable to determine the ultimate problem they put dielectric grease on all my electronic connections in the fuse box under the hood and it worked fine the rest if the winter. They said it was a good thing that I came in when I did because they thought if I drove it any longer I would have destroyed the electrical system. In 2014, I had them do the same "fix". now in 2015 it has started back up again.

- Howell, MI, USA

Sep 012015

I was driving down the street and all of a sudden the car light went on for the traction warning. Its a yellow triangle with car in the middle started flashing, car making a noise while driving and when I was trying to stop it was making a craking noise and couldn't stop easily. It was as though I was driving on ice and sliding or something and had no traction. It was scary. Thrn it stopped and I proceeded home then it fid it again then it stopped then got home and had to fet my son at work so its my only car. I took a chance and went in car and it drove fine. Taking to orileys to check computer today. I don't have any money to tk it to dealer and chances are they won't know what is wrong cause it's working fine now and I'm so scared cause I don't know when its gonna happen again. I also have read where many people have had the same issue and no one really knows what's wrong. I dont what to do.

- West Chicago , IL, USA

Aug 012014

I was parked in driveway when I went to open my drivers side door the silver handle broke right in half cut my hand but I just cleaned and bandaged my hand. I couldn't afford to fix it so I looked up the part. Its a $50 but they want $250 at the dealer. I finally got some money together and because it was winder and one tome the window was frozen and the door didn't close good when I got in so I had to stop and climb out of tbe car from the passengers side with a bad back too. Im disabled. It could have bern a dangerous situation but anyway I has to gather the money and fix it because I knew I couldn't continue to climb out the passanger side and with the handle broke and the cold weather causing the window to be frozen I had no choice. Everyone is right GMC should be responsible and we should be refunded our money and and issues we went thru. Its not a cheep car and this part is like made of plastic and its $50 and the dealer is ovr charging. Its all wrong. Im tired of Chevy. I don't know why I bought this car.

- West Chicago , IL, USA

Jun 272015

Left turn signal activated without touching the turn signal to use it, the the hazard lights turned on and of twice without ever touching the button to activate those. Recently the batter just died and new replaced. But the key also was stuck in ignition til was towed to dealership where ignition recalls were repaired. Now this.

- Moline, IL, USA

Jan 152013

The above vehicle has been in for repairs 6-7times for intermit anti-theft light coming on while driving and a recall for anti-theft/air bag malfunctions. Intermittingly the car will also not recognize the key(s) and will not start. My concern for safety is when the car begins to ding while I'm driving and then the anti-theft light comes on it will also decide to stall because it does not recognize the key and thinks it's being stolen. (it has not done that yet, but it is a fear). I had the Chevy 2014 anti-theft/airbag recall Aug 2014. In Dec 2014 my air bag light came on with a warning to repair. In Jan 2015 the anti-theft light came on 2 times. Walker jones Chevy of waycross, ga detected no code for air bag. The anti-theft code revealed unrecognized key but no code to repair (Jan.2015) the light has come on 5 times and not started on one occasion, since the recall repair. I am told by mechanics that the light must be on for them to retrieve a repair code. However, when the car is shut off the light goes off. The anti-theft light problem can wait months before surfacing again. I believe it could be dangerous to drive because of past cases of other similar cars with anti-theft/airbag issues. I have contacted Chevy corporation but since I did not purchase a bumper to bumper warranty and no repair codes come up to show how to fix the problem its not their responsibility.

- Folkston, GA, USA

Apr 062015

Drivers inside door handle snapped off. Have to open window to open door. Called GM they told me this problem wasn't on a recall. This was also not covered under my extended warranty. I have to purchase a handle and have it installed. This is a safety issue to get out of the car during an emergency, what if my electrical system shuts down, how can I roll down the window, I'll have to climb over the passenger seat to get out and that could be to late. They need a recall on this problem.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 242014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet HHR. The contact stated that a hour after parking, the vehicle caught on fire. The contact was not present when the failure occurred. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Clarkesville, TN, USA