1998 Chevrolet Lumina brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Lumina:

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Owner Comments

Oct 172008

When damp, my brakes sounded as if an elephant were under the hood. During the last year that I owned the car, I noticed it was not stopping right if stopped suddenly (it would begin to fish-tail, for example). I was cut off on the highway (car next to me would have rear-ended the guy in front of him, so he cut into my lane, causing me to swerve). I had a very hard time getting the car to stop, and it eventually swerved into a fish-tail, nearly turning all the way around, until my passenger side front hit the cement divider wall. I am on a low-budget and one car I came across in a price category I could afford was another Lumina. I am hesitant to buy one after this experience. A neighbor of a friend had told me an experience she had with a car she owned for 2 weeks and wouldn't stop until she rear-ended someone. When I told her my story, she mentioned that was the car she had her problem with. I post this only so those with this car might be vigilant of a potential problem. For all I know, it may have had nothing to do with my accident. I would have my brakes checked regularly (whenever I had my oil changed) and my mechanic told me they were good. I am glad I heard of someone else who has experienced this horrible, loud noise on the brakes with this model. I've never heard brakes make a sound like this -- or any kind of brake noise that was that loud!

- , Fords, NJ, USA

Jun 292006

The brakes squeal, sometimes very loudly, particularly when it has been raining.

- , Sandwich, MA, USA