2.3

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 242013

Malibu Classic

For some reason the entire interior trim on the door panels have come unglued and detached from the doors. It looks terrible. I recently received a recall notice regarding a knocking noise in the steering. Of course, this has been going on for years and now the notice says my car must have less than 150K miles on it. I dare say there are not many 2004 vehicles with less than 150K miles? mine is around 164K. We use to spray grease on the joint where it hits when the steering wheel is turned. I had been told a dealer would want to replace the entire rack N pinion on the vehicle, but that would not correct the problem. Guess I am just out of luck.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that the anti-theft sensor and the service engine sensor kept randomly illuminating and the vehicle stalled several times. The contact also experienced difficulty removing the key and getting the key to turn over into an on position to start the vehicle. The contact heard a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel, which occurred frequently and the noise continued while driving. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and indicated that the dealer was not able to determine when the part would become available to schedule the recall repair. The contact called for months and was not able to schedule an appointment. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Winder, GA, USA

Jun 192013

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

I was driving on highway and my car chimed and lost all power steering for approximately 3-4 seconds and then the power came back. This type of power loss has happened to me twice since I have owned my vehicle which I purchased in 2008.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 022012

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

Steering wheel was hard to control felt my car moving in outside lanes, the next morning I began to pull my car out steering wheel was so hard to turn it just broke and started spinning around. I was in total shock and happy to be alive.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 032014

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

The steering has gone out twice on me now. So I did some research and it shows there is a recall for steering parts but not for my VIN # of my Malibu" what is the deal"

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 012013

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

At first, the service engine soon light would illuminate at random intervals. Then engine shut off while car was moving. The problem happened more frequently as time progressed. Then the car would not start intermittently. Finally it would not start at all. The shop found the bad part was the ignition switch. Total cost to replace the switch and do the associated work was $900.

- Brookeville, MD, USA

Feb 282014

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and totally lost power steering. I pulled my car into a parking lot and let the car sit for a couple of hours. I was able to drive the car home where I lost power steering again while pulling into my driveway. I was able to drive my car to the repair shop a couple of days later where I had to have the entire steering system replaced.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA

May 132013

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

Driving down the road to drop off the kids at my mothers house and power steering failed.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA

Nov 252010

Malibu Classic

I was driving along the road, and the yellow wrench popped up, the wheel was difficult to control. Also, while turning the car the wheel was difficult to turn. This problem occurs at least 3-4 times a year. My brake peddle acts up in the snowy months. When I press the brake peddle-the peddle jumps pushes up and down into my feet. When it snows, I worry about running into a car.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Jul 192012

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

While driving in the middle of the rode, steering wheel will lock up causing me to have to restart ignition- as if the car is resetting, in order for the steering wheel to turn properly. This has happened at least 1-2X/month since the first incident. I often drive on the highway and its happened while other cars are driving around me. The steering wheel will not turn or it takes a good amount of force to make the wheel turn. Its quite dangerous and very scary. I contacted the dealer and was told there are no warranty's or recalls. Checked online and discovered that others are having a similar issue. Now I have to pay mechanic to fix the part.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 062011

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

1st time:driving in the drop off area of son's school and power steering went out on my wife. We had to signal the other cars around our car (2004 Chevy Malibu). My wife could not move the steering wheel so I had to back the car up out of the children' drop off area with no power steering into a parking space after all the children were dropped off. Second time:per the message on service indicator power steering went out on a main road in our town after repairs by certified Chevrolet mechanics at don hewlett Chevrolet was a year later right after the warranty went out. I was told I would have to pay for the repairs since the warranty was up. There have been 46 complaints on a website called www.carcomplaints.com regarding this same issue and the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu was recalled for this same issue of the power steering failure.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 172011

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

The power steering constantly goes out on this car. I can be driving at any speed and it will go out without warning. I have been informed that there was no recall, yet this is a very common issue with these vehicles. The quote I've been given to repair is over $500 and several people had to get the repair done more than once. Chevy should do a recall and compensate the consumers.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 012011

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that the steering wheel would fail intermittently. In April 2011, the vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who replaced the rack and pinon however, the failure persisted. Neither the dealer nor manufacturer were notified of the failure, nor was the vehicle repaired. The current mileage was 110,000 and the approximate failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jul 162011

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

Power steering goes out while driving, twice in the last two days.

- Mount Pleasant, MI, USA

Mar 022011

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

While driving down the expressway, my power steering went out. I pulled over to the side of the road and shut my car off and started it up again and it started working again.GM has recalled other models for doing the same thing, but not the 2004 Malibu. This is very dangerous and somebody is going to get killed unless GM takes care of this problem. The 2004 Chevy. Malibu has electric assisted power steering. The thing is that GM, the dealers and NHTSA all know about the problem, but are not doing anything until people are hurt and killed. I bought the car new and have taken very good care of it.

- Monessen, PA, USA

Feb 282011

Malibu Classic 6-cyl

Electric power steering malfunction.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 312011

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering column locked up. The vehicle became very difficult to steer. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but it was not inspected. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 86,000 and the current mileage was 86,030.

- Carrolltown , PA, USA

Jun 292010

Malibu Classic

2004 Chevy Malibu at 30,000. Miles the steering went out clunking noise when I turn at 42K it did it again at 68K it did it again this time Chevy would not pay for repairs no more warranty it happened again in 2009 and now it's in the shop for another steering problem cost $1622 to repair plus rental ar for three days. Chevy says my fault the problems are not related. I am not the only one to have this problem and it's not one two or even three times it many times..

- Salisbury, NC, USA

May 312010

Malibu Classic

While coming off the highway, I noticed I no longer have power steering. The entire rest of the way home, no power steering. I searched on line to see if there was a reservoir to put more power steering fluid in, and there appears to be none and I will have to fork out over $500 for a new steering column. I was never informed of any problem with the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu and a power steering problem.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Sep 082009

Malibu Classic

Steering wheel would shimmy while in motion, often accompanied by knocking that is heard and also felt through the steeringwheel while applying brakes, and would stop only when the vehicle came to an near or complete stop. Other notable events include a rough vibration with an audible repetitive thumping that was felt from the left front wheel that would slip on regular intervals while applying brakes. The failure happened suddenly while driving my 2 special needs boys to school. The failure started with little warning in front of the school which is located right off the boulevard. I was able to bring the car safely to a stop due to the 25mph school zone rule. The maximum speed limit is 35 during non school hours and 40 mph further down the boulevard. The power steering became extremely difficult to steer with in seconds before the service (wrench) light came on. I parked my vehicle, and called my insurance company to have my car towed to an reputable care repair shop because the car wasn't safe for me to drive. After 50 minutes the tow truck arrived and when the driver started my car, the car was again steer-able and the maintenance light was no longer on. The mechanics were unsuccessful in reproducing the steering malfunction. September 9th, 2009, the same failure repeated itself, same location same time as before, the maintenance light turned on and then unlike the first event on September 8th, the radio displayed an powersteering failure message on its' screen. The mechanic at the auto shop took a look at my car immediately after he saw the maintenance light, and the powersteering failure message. After the powersteering part from bob stall Chevrolet was delivered, the part was then installed. I paid out of pocket, and didn't find out until after service was rendered, that a discovery was made by the shop while searching for information about my car, that there had been a recall. I never received GM's notice. I have the old part. Part installed is new.

- Santee, CA, USA