2.1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Owner Comments

May 282014

Malibu Hybrid 4-cyl

While turning on the car the power steering will not turn on. We have to turn the vehicle off to gain power steering back. The car continued to do this for several months. We now lose power steering while driving down the road at random points in time. We have to pull over and restart the car to regain the power steering. Other 2009 Chevrolet mailbu's have the recall, but ours does not although we are experiencing the loss of power steering while driving and while turning on the car.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 162014

Malibu Hybrid

On the morning of July 17, 2014 I experience my power steering notification illuminate as well as service traction notification as I was preparing to make a left turn, my steering wheel locked up and made it very difficult to turn. Luckily enough I was able to move the car out of the way before my vehicle was almost hit by a 18 wheeler. This is the second time as I was driving my power steering notification came on and almost cause me to have an accident, the first time happen in may of this year both times my son was in the car. In February of 2013 I was making my way across a very busy intersection and the car cut completely off in the middle of the intersection, I had to get the car towed to the dealership. The "service traction" and "service ESC" illuminated then as well. The car acceleration is slow when the air condition is on. I am at a point I no longer want to drive this vehicle. I fear the next time may result in injury or a fatality. I honestly care not to opt for the repair because it was sent to the dealership for repairs one time and now it must go again, the third time may be the last and before I get to that point I would like to get out of this vehicle. For the safety of not only me but my son who is only 10 years old. I called GM and inquired if they can offer some sort of a rebate that I may use towards another vehicle, but I was told no and only offered an apology and informed that GM is currently not offering a rebate, yet I still have to wait to be informed as to when I can take the car in for service because they are out of parts, if that does not ring a bell I don't know what will. I fear this car will be the death of me. I am reaching out for help.

- Miami, FL, USA