2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012016

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. When the steering wheel was turned to the left and when starting the vehicle, an abnormal noise emerged from the steering wheel. The dealer was notified of the failure and indicated that it was due to a safety feature. In addition, the brake lights remained illuminated when the brakes had not been applied. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Bridgeview, IL, USA

Jun 272016

Malibu Maxx

Regarding GM recall #13036 - micro corrosion on BCM terminals and relearn - dealership claimed that recall was performed. Issues with brake lights and cruise control remain after recall service. Upon vehicle inspection, found there was not an application of dielectric grease on C2 terminal ports as described in the process of the recall. I was able to apply the grease myself but, I am unable to perform the relearn process without the GM tech2 tool. Attached pictures of C2 connector port with and without dielectric grease. We went back to dealership to try and get the recall performed properly and the tech at service desk stated that the recall was serviced properly. My complaint is that the recall was not performed by the dealership. Address: 1820 capital blvd, raleigh, nc 27604.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Nov 142015

Malibu Maxx

I purchased a 2005 Malibu maxx from an used car dealer and the very next day the car lost the ability to accelerate and the traction control light turned on my instrument cluster. While the car was coming to a stop I noticed that it lost all power and the engine stopped running. The car would turn over but not start.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Jun 152015

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving 35 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact also stated that both turn signals failed to function. The failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Jul 052015

Malibu Maxx

Upon acceleration power steering stops working and power steering warning message shows. GM dealer service center advised that it is the ignition coil. Replaced with a newer version of the ignition coil and added a ground strap based on the detected error codes and a service bulletin from GM. Updated 10/9/15

- Northville, MI, USA

Jan 162014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that the key only turned in the ignition switch when turning and lifting at the same time. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 3/3/15 updated 03/17/15

- Munster , IN, USA

Sep 232010

Malibu Maxx

Replaced a steering rod at 34000 & 73000 & 105,000 that was made of metal ln 05. GM went back to plastic the next year as this did not hold up. Second is the remote start problem. I had it repaired two different times at GM and does not work as of now. Was told it was a BCM problem each it was an expensive fix temporary that many other people have the same problem with this car!

- Whitesburg, KY, USA

Dec 052014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Took car to the Chevrolet dealership, for NHTSA id: 14V252000/GM safety recall: 13036, to correct the issues in the body control module which impacted the brake apply sensor. Now rear top brake lights no longer illuminate when the brake pedal is being pushed. Front low-beam headlights goes on and off while driving. Replaced both low-beam lights on 12/6/2014. Front low beam headlights still goes off and on intermittently. Also upon visual inspection, the turn signal blinkers have melted the yellow plastic inside the headlight. Brought back to the same Chevrolet dealership on 1/2/2015, for vehicle recall NHTSA id: 14V224000/GM safety recall 14152 to have the shift cable assembly and mounting bracket installed. I notified the dealership that I was having issues with the electrical system tied to the exterior lighting system. They could not provide me the reason for the fault.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 172014

Malibu Maxx

Passenger front turn signal bulb and elctrical unit melted. Turn signal on dash blinking fast. Changed to new bulb, thought bulb was bad, replaced. Worked for a few months and it occurred bulb had blown out. Replaced again.. this time it hag gone out and everythings melted.. contacted GM, have a incident number. Stated they'll speak with dealer service department to see if theyll cover a portion of repair.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Jul 232014

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that immediately after starting, the vehicle stalled. The contact also stated that the key became stuck causing him to be unable to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,728.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jun 272014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While accelerating onto an expressway the warning chime sounded, a click was heard under the instrument panel, and the (electric) power steering assist quit. Also a battery symbol illuminated momentarily on the instrument panel. Reducing acceleration caused the power steering assist to return to normal. Upon further testing it was determined that this happens repeatedly at any speed when under heavy acceleration (often at about 4000 RPM) and while hill climbing under load at about 2100 RPM. It was noted that simultaneously the battery voltage went excessively high (16V, sometimes 17V) and occasionally multiple (all?) instrument panel warning lights illuminate. If the power steering assist quits while turning the steering wheel tends to jerk hard towards going straight, a decided safety issue. This may be the same issue detailed in the June 2010 technical service bulletin: Tsb # 08-02-32-005A and it appears to not be covered under warranty.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 232011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle used and have had an electrical problem with the passenger headlights.going on and off.I have replaced the wire harness 7 times in 2 their a recall on these cars for the headlight issues.if so I need to be notified asap before their is a fire in my car.I am a handicap mother that needs her car.

- Seaford, DE, USA

May 302014

Malibu Maxx

A 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx ls. 156964 mileage. The steering wheel emitted a clucking and a creaking noise while making a turn. A clapping repeated noise somewhere in the wheels has appeared also. Blinkers burned out too often and the plastics that cover them are melt down. If it stays more than 10 minutes stopped after driving a while, the temperature gauge start rising to the overheat point, but if you turn on the air conditioning it comes back to the medium reading measurement gauge.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jan 172014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

When starting the car it would hesitate before turning over. Later it began to struggle to turn over. Now its struggling to turn over but won't. I purchased a new battery at Firestone less than a month ago and the car has plenty of gas. I also took the car into Firestone for a vehicle inspection the day before I bought the battery. If the cause is a defective fuel pump, the pump may seize stopping the fuel flow to the engine creating a stalling condition. A vehicle crash could occur should the engine stall while in use. Many Chevy Malibu owners found that the alarm or anti-theft system had the fuel system locked and the car would not start. This happens randomly and at the most inconvenient times. The owner┐'s manual said to turn the ignition key to the on position leave it on for 10 minutes, then turn it off for 5 seconds and then it started up. I have not tried this yet but I will in the morning.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I purchased my Chevy Malibu maxx January of just last year and I had to replace my front left head light thinking nothing of just normal maintenance and this was right around August of last year and it is now March of 2013 and I just had to do it again but this go round it seemed more like a short because it stopped working one night driving home from work which I drive a very busy highway at night and that next morning it was working just fine so me being the normal american person I think nothing of it but the following day it goes out fully and when I went to go change the light this time I noticed it had actually burned through the amber color cover of the bulb and also burned the socket up in the vehicle. But now get this about the same time last year my aux fuse began to blow over and over not thinking anything about it but now after reading all of these different situations I kinda wonder if the two situations could have anything to do with one another.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jan 222013

Malibu Maxx

Turn signals burning so hot they explode, and melt not only housing for bulb, but also the socket in order to replace bulb is melted too. There needs to be a recall on this as I have found over 200 other complaints of people having the same issue!

- Hartford, WI, USA

Nov 022012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My cars headlights are dim at night and take a while to get brighter even though I have had the bulb replaced and the lighting components checked out. The windows won't roll down from any side of the car, a recurrence from two years ago. Also my doors won't unlock from the auto-unlock button that sits on the drivers side, this has been an issue for the past 2 years of my Chevrolet car ownership.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 172011

Malibu Maxx

I have owned my 2005 Malibu maxx for just over a year and have had to replace the front turn signal sockets, both driver and passenger sides, three times now due to melted sockets and amber covers melting down to the bulbs. Even though they are vented they do not stay cool enough to prevent severe electrical damage to the components. In replacing these components I have to wait a week until the parts are shipped out and am forced to drive with faulty equipment. I am unable to just replace the bulbs and have to constantly change the bulbs out before they melt to the sockets. This is a huge hazard as they can go out on me in the middle of driving in rush hour traffic putting me at a greater risk of injury. Please force GM to issue an actual recall on this issue and not just skate free on the service bulletin that has been issued. Thank you,

- Ashland, NE, USA

Jul 292011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Malibu maxx. Approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago, I was pulling into a parking space -very, very slowly, there were a series of red pole about 3 feet high, I saw them. I was turning right and my car jerked to the left accelerated and I hit a pole damaging my front end. Car was towed and repaired by state farm insurance for about $2500. I got my car back and drove it for about two weeks, I was again pulling into a parking space only I was completely in and parked, I was braking and shutting off my car when this happened. The brake went completely loose, the steering wheel started to spin and the car surged, it surged and flew over the curb about 6 feet into an ice machine at a speedway gas station on 15 mile and Dodge park in sterling heights. This was about 8:15 - 8:30 a..M.. that car surged and flew at about 60 mph my foot never left the brake. This car was towed to buff whelan Chevrolet on 18 and van dyke in sterling heights Michigan and they are fixing the bumper. I have reported this problem to General Motors, to the president of buff whelan and to keith armstrong in the uk who wrote an article about cars that surge in 2010 for the usa today. I received after contacting the sterling heights police a ticket for reckless driving, which I have requested a hearing over. I am going to be picking up my car on Tuesday 8/9/2011 "fixed" but I will have it towed somewhere, probably home. It will not be driven, this car scared me to death. You would have to experience a "surge" to be able to comprehend what could happen during one. This car must never be driven, I don't think GM knows what to do or how to identify this, they haven't responded.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Aug 022007

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxi. The contact stated that the turn signals over heated, which caused the sockets to melt. The dealer and manufacturer denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage 65,000 and the current mileage was 140,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Carriere, MS, USA