2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

May 012013

Malibu Maxx

This has been happening for sometime now. I start my vehicle up to go, put it in drive and the car loses its power steering(steering wheel will not move) and the power steering warning shows up on the dash display. I also notice at a stop or at slow speeds the steering wheel jumps from right to left quite frequently.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 062013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My steering wheel locked up when I was turning, when I turn my steering wheel sometimes it makes a popping sound. Then power steering will appear on my message screen on my radio.

- Barbourville, KY, USA

Mar 092013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that the power steering warning message illuminated and the steering became difficult to maneuver. The failure occurred intermittently at different speeds. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated the steering column and the steering control motor module would have to be replaced. The mechanic informed the contact there was a manufacturer recall for the steering. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 072013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My first occurrence was while driving across a railroad track at a speed of 35 mph....while driving I heard a dinging and looked to see my power steering light came on at the same time that I was crossing the tracks....tracks where uneven so I kinda went around the uneven part and couldn't handle my steering so I almost hit a car coming in the opposite direction...second occurrence has even more life threatening....while drivin on the highway at speeds of 65mph...I heard the dinging sound and my steering locked up completely(like when the car is turned off) I could not use steering at all and I had a semi right behind me....I was approaching a curve in the highway so I slow down so the traffic would go around me to hopefully get a chance to turn off the car and restart it to reset power steering....I had read about this problem online and that was the solution..I took the car to a mechanic where he did a road test and of course nothing happened....I only have 2 more payment on this car and to find out that the situation when fixed always recurs is very disappointing....please recall this vehicle before this problem kills family is already aware of this problem and if I get into a accident they will be looking closely into this problem.

- Walbridge , OH, USA

Jan 132013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While driving a warning chime appeared thru the radio display "power steering" and the vehicle lost power steering. With great difficulty vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road and turned off. Upon restarting the car the power steering came back only to go out again. Had the computer reset and problem hasn't happened again, yet! check online and this vehicle and other models with the same power assist steering have been recalled as recent as 1212 in Canada, but not in the usa. Everything on the internet, including gms website say the steering column has to be replaced. We checked with the local Chevrolet dealer and there is no recall for this VIN #. this vehicle is driven on major highways everyday, so I am having the steering column replaced at a cost of $550 out of pocket.GM's website says it is not a safety problem because it can still be steered off the road. This is my daughter's car and she can barely handle this car without the power assist. I drove it and lost the power assist and I bumped a curb trying to turn it into a parking lot. How can this not be a safety issue" can I be reimbursed for the cost of fixing this problem"

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Jul 202010

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving the steering failed without warning. The contact mentioned that steering wheel became hard to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who decided to replace an unknow part within the steering. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 89,000 and the current mileage was 139,000.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Aug 012008

Malibu Maxx

Power steering failure while driving at high speeds in highway traffic. Intermittent failure. Several months of driving it would sporadically fail and then return back to normal. Eventually it failed completely. Went to have the ps module replaced only to discover the column is to be replaced with it. The vehicle is drivable, but feels unsafe and puts others at risk. Vehicle is not easily maneuverable at low speeds. Needs large space to turn around. Seems to be a common problem among this vehicle as I have seen many many complaints. Why is there not yet a recall on the ps module/column failure of the Malibu??

- Haltom City, TX, USA

Sep 042012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While accelerating on to the freeway, more while hitting the passing gear, power steering is all of a sudden lost or even correcting itself back to center. The "power steering" message appears on the radio display and a clicking sound is made. It has since happened at slower speeds as well. It feels like a very unsafe problem and it seems very common among Chevrolet owners of various models around that year.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Sep 302012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Turned left onto an uphill road and gave it a good amount of gas to accelerate up to speed. Had the rpms up and in the middle of the turn the steering wheel just locked up. I immediately let off the gas and the steering returned to normal. It was quite unnerving but I worked on many cars years ago and react accordingly to things like stuck throttles, and this. I just bought the car so I don't know the history of it other than the carfax check was clean. It appear that I should have done my research on this vehicle with this steering problem before buying it. There are so many people with the same issue that I cannot believe a recall has not been performed. However, there is a service bulletin that extends the warranty on this item, to any owner, to ten years and 150 K miles. Do a search for it online. GM will replace the entire steering column. This is probably what I will end up doing.

- Everett, WA, USA

Jul 142012

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the steering wheel seized violently, causing the contact's hands to be thrown from the steering wheel. The steering wheel regained normal function as the contact decelerated. The failure recurred numerous times, only lasting momentarily. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the failure was caused by faulty electronics in the steering column. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 88,000.

- Upper Arlington, OH, USA

Aug 012012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While I am driving the steering wheel will lock up and my dash board will start blinking then the message center will say "power steering" now everytime I am get to 45 mph the message center will start blinking.

- Jacksoncille, NC, USA

Aug 212012

Malibu Maxx

Was making a right hand turn to enter onto the expressway and steering either locked up or became very hard to steer (it all happened quickly) causing the car to hit the curb and severely damaging the wheel, alignment, etc. GM replaced the faulty power steering box (recall) but has found themselves not liable for the collateral damage sustained because of the faulty power steering. GM says I have no proof that the damage that is visible on the vehicle was directly caused by steering failure. Really??!! I've always been a big Chevy fan, but this leaves a very bitter taste that may never go away!!!!!

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Jun 102006

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

We purchased our 2006 mailbu maxx in November 2005. Two months later there was a violent shake in the front end, the dealership turned the rotors because they were warped. Then we started having trouble with the electrical system right after the warranty ran out.the rear wiper comes on by itself, interior lights blow constantly as well as headlights. Door locks work when they want to. Keyless has not worked for three years even with new remote batteries. Since the car has had 40,000 miles on it the power steering has been acting up. My wife has hit our garbage cans and even my truck pulling into the driveway. We cant even trade this piece of crap in because everybody knows the problems with this car. Our Malibu has 78,000 miles on it and we have put 4 sets of brakes on the front with heavy duty rotors and three sets on the rear. GM is not concerned with the safety of their customers. This car is crap and they know it. We should at least get 200 percent over trade in value to purchase another vehicle. Like a rock....more like a turd!!!!!

- Ranson, WV, USA

Mar 062012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering intermittently fails on vehicle. Resets after turning car off.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Mar 082012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I was taking my granddaughter to school and the power steering went out as I was pulling in to the school. I turn off the car to locate the power steering pump but could not locate it.when I started the car it was fine so when I got home I found out that this is a big problem and GM is not doing anything about it.what is it going to take for somebody does something about it. I believe GM was one of the companies that was help by the government with tax payers money the same ones that are having this problem, please you need to do something about this big problem that GM is ignoring before is to late for some body or family. Thank you

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 022012

Malibu Maxx

Driver info center said check gas cap, we replaced it now a smell of gas in car when starting it up.

- Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Oct 152008

Malibu Maxx

Knocking noise in the steering column. Had to have iit fixed twice and it now does it again. This is a repetative problem and it appears that this car has a design issue.

- Sandy Hook , CT, USA

Dec 122011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have been reading over some of the 30 pages of steering complaints for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. I found out that I am not alone with this car problem. I just bought my car in August 2011 - it was a one owner with 31,000 miles in excellent condition. I thought I did my homework when buying but was not aware of the steering problems that existed. There was no recall listed. I would never have bought this car knowing what I know now and experiencing the problem first hand. I heard the two dings then the words "power steering" appeared on the instrument panel. I immediately had no power steering and was driving in heavy traffic. The car was extremely hard to steer and I was lucky to make it home. Since then, I have experienced this two other times. I am scared to death to drive this car. Do I have to get killed in a car accident before you will do something? I can't afford to pay these costly repairs and shouldn't be responsible for the manufacturer's defects. Please save my life and everyone else by taking action now!!!

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Dec 172011

Malibu Maxx

Today when I drive back from my driveway, speed is only 5km/hour, when I turned left, suddenly the steeling lose power I crash to my wife's car. Yeah, it is a only a small hit and nothing damage. Then I stopped my car, restart it and it is ok.but after I drove 2 km, it lost power again when I turn left. I google, I found it is thousand of same issues happen while GM only recall the G6 cobalt but not Malibu, why? they suck, I will never buy GM again.

- Scarbough, OH, USA

May 012011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

For the past several months power steering failure with left turns. Yesterday complete failure, fortunately it locked up in my driveway. Steering wheel jammed up with the slightest turn.

- Humble , TX, USA