8.0

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Sep 022009

Monte Carlo Z34 3.8L

My car has about 93,000 miles on it and this problem started for me several months ago. Happened once or twice but now regularly. I have an after market remote starter. I try to start the car with the key and it won't start, then try the remote starter. Still won't start. Wait twenty mins or so and try just the remote starter and it starts right up, as if it needs the time to reset itself. Then I noticed that now when I can start it with the key my security light comes on.

At first I was going to remove the remote start thinking that it was screwing up my car. Now I am glad I have it. It occurred to me this morning that I have always used the same key fob and that over time perhaps the chip on the key was worn down and not making a good connection. I have to wait to get home to test that theory and see if the spare key does any better. Until then I will continue to just use the remote start.

- , Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Mar 222007

Monte Carlo LS 3.1L V6

My Monte Carlo randomly doesn't start. The engine won't turn over, and it takes about five minutes for it to eventually start. I got the starter replaced a year ago and a new battery installed a couple of months ago. I do not know what the problem is and any help would be greatly appreciated.

- , Coral Springs, FL, USA