1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Sep 242015

Monte Carlo

On September 24, 2015, my wife was driving our Monte Carlo. Unbeknown to her the car began smoking underneath, causing loss of control with neither steering nor braking capability. Other drivers, noticing the smoke, were attempting to notify her of the impending fire. She was able to drive about another mile before losing control and crashing into a tree on my neighbor's yard. The car became completely engulfed in flames and was destroyed. Were it not for several good samaritans, and police and fire personnel, she would have been killed. All documentation is available for review.

- Media, PA, USA

Feb 192016

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Atkinson, NC, USA

Jan 012014

Monte Carlo

The contact owned a 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire near the engine. The vehicle was destroyed. No further details were available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 05/11/16

- Canton, OH, USA

Jun 302014

Monte Carlo

At approximately 4 pm I was driving with three other people in my car on the street in the South saint louis county(railroad crossing weber rd and close to New Hampshire) and we were going across the railroad, when all functions of my car died and the brakes.steering. Engine, all went off and I got scared but in the heat of the moment I pulled my emergency break and pulled the car to a stop. All these happened on a very well paved street., and all happened just when I crossed the railroad tracks. I was very frighten as well all the people in my car. I was wondering if any of this that happened to my car has to do with the recalls that happened with GM ignition switches. I also talk to my friend and he said that he used to have a Chevy lumina 1995 and same thing happened to him on a highway in South saint louis and he did same thing and no one got hurt. When will anyone contact us that and all other people that drive these types of cars and check this out and fix this problems.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA