1. replaced engine cooling thermostat (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Oct 212009

Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6

When the problem first happened, the fan ran all the time, the temperature bottomed to ZERO, and the AC compressor would appear to kick in, but not cool. I could reset the system by disconnecting the battery for a few hours, or overnight. As long as I left the AC on, the system would usually operate correctly, until I switched the AC off or went to heat position. Upon returning to AC mode, the same problems cropped up again.

I was told by experienced mechanics and the GM dealer the problem was usually (about 95% of the time) in the "Control Head" unit in the dash. I replaced that at a cost of about $300.00, and it did NOT fix the problem. My control head was good and I wasted $300.00. I took the car to an out of town dealer I trusted from previous warranty experience. The technician knew what the problem was from the symptoms I described. He verified it with his multi-thousand-dollar scanner...and replaced the $17.00 cooling thermostat! The problem is fixed now!

This has happened so many times before I had it finally fixed, that I'm not taking the time to do an individual report of each incident. I hope this helps you. Email me and I'll describe more info if you need it. Thanks

- , Lake City, FL, USA