4.0

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Dec 072016

Silverado 1500

My truck should have no issues as I follow the maintenance schedule and take good care of my vehicle but it has happened twice where I was in the middle of the interstate when my vehicle displayed the check engine light, traction off, stabiltrac off, the airvents stopped blowing cool air and released humidity, brakes were not functioning properly (hard to actually break), steering wheel/power steering was malfunctioning making it almost impossible to turn or get out of traffic and it seems the vehicle just decided to suddenly stall while in motion. I was very lucky due to sudden high risk of a vehicle crash and was able to pull over without getting anyone hurt. I turned the vehicle off once I got in park and looked under the hood, everything was fine showing no issues but I went to start the vehicle and it did not crank or try to turn over but all electronics/lights were still working. I I check all fluid levels, all was fine and then I went to try one more time to start the vehicle. To my surprise, it started up just fine and with only the check engine light on and not reading any other messages. All functions were working properly but I was too scared to go anywhere without having an idea what just happened. I went to the closest trusted auto place that would be able to use a scanner to find the trouble codes of my check engine light. The code was for a malfunction with the internal control module (code: P0601). This has happened to me twice in the last week and its very scary to feel at risk for a sudden malfunction to cause a crash. After researching, I noticed that there was a recall bulletin no: 14515B, that had covered pretty much the same issues and for my vehicle's year/model. My VIN didnt register for any recalls, I don't understand how other vehciles are getting qualified in order to prevent the same issues I'm experiencing.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 142016

Silverado 1500

I noticed yesterday that the service air bag warning came on. Didn't think anything of it. Got in there this morning 7/15 and was driving down the road and it did it again. This time all of the electrical went out for a minute including the speedometer. Couldnt even turn my ac on or off. Called the dealership we got it from and they told me I was looking at a 2 week wait but I could drop it off on 7/18 and they would get to it.

- Point Blank, TX, USA

Oct 062014

Silverado 1500

Here is a brief history of the issues involving the 1012 Chevrolet Silverado lt Texas edition after the purchase date of September 3, 2012. First, I noticed that it has increasingly become more difficult to open the front passenger window from the driver side master control unit around 2014. Now, I have to press hard several times to open the window. Second, the outside moldings of the door panels are falling off starting in mid-2014. Third, I have started to hear popping noises coming from the ball joints when the steering wheel is turned to the left or right at a very low speed starting the beginning of 2014. These issues were reported to the Chevrolet customer service at the GM headquarters in August 2015. On September 4, 2015, the truck was finally diagnosed by the Chevrolet dealership service department that sold the pickup. The invoice dated September 4, 2015 indicates the lower ball joints worn with play, door moldings falling off, and the driver's master switch shorted.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Dec 172014

Silverado 1500

The contact owned a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire while parked. The fire was extinguished by a fire department. A police/fire report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to a salvage yard and the cause of the fire was undetermined. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Moody, AL, USA

Apr 222013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brakes are spongy does not stop truck until pumped, power train clunking noise when turning and shifting, electrical at times dash lights dim at any given time, many other complaints very rough ride, trans shifts very hard, when coming to a traffic light runs rough. Has been to dealer once and last Thursday got a call from GM the dealership has not responded to my problems.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Apr 252012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

There is a very high pitch noise the is emitted from behind the dash. This noise is distracting to the point that my wife can not ride in the truck let alone drive it. I have taken the truck to the dealer and was told by the service department that General Motors is aware of this noise and it is acceptable.

- High Point, NC, USA