2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments

Oct 152008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I began to have trouble with my light bulbs. When I tried to change bulb I found evidence of poor connection with the plastic of the bulb and of the socket somewhat burned. The filaments of the bulbs were ok. A friend of mine advised me to coat the connection with silicone grease. Recently a Virginia state trooper stopped me for two bulbs not functioning. Same problem. Luckily he waited while I removed the assembly and, yes, the bulbs were fine but not making good contact. He explained that he also has a Chevrolet truck and has the same problem. A former employee of GM in aiken ga told me that GM was supposed to apply this grease to electrical contacts but failed to do so. This is a safety problem or the trooper would not have stopped me!

- Exmore, VA, USA

Oct 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Tail light housing leaks water into tail light area which causes tail and brake light bulb bases to corrode, lose contact and fail to operate. I replace tail lamps every 3 to 6 months. Instrument panel failed at 65000 miles and despite extended warranty GM would not repair. I was never contacted about GM settlement concerning this factory defect.

- Belmont, NC, USA

Aug 092013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I started my truck and turned the air conditioner on its highest setting while I loaded my two children into their car seats. I had one of my children in their car seats and was putting the second one in his when I smelled smoke and quickly realized there was smoke blowing out of the vents. I got my boys out of their seats and shut the vehicle off. I opened the doors and searched for something to extinguish flames. After grabbing the garden hose and returning to the truck I noticed that there was smoke coming from under the dash but I didn't see any flames. I waited to see it the smoke was getting worse but it wasn't. I opened the hood and nothing was smoking in the engine compartment. I felt around the console and noticed that there were a number of areas that were extremely hot. A day later I tried to see if I could find the location of the fire. I discovered that anytime I had the air conditioner on and the blower on above level "3" something would begin to smoke. Before this problem with the air conditioner occurred all of the lights on my instrument panel would periodically turn off while I was driving. There are definitely some major problems with the electrical wiring on this vehicle. I hate to think what could have happened if I didn't catch the problem in time.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Aug 182008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake lights will not come on when brake is applied all bulbs and fuses are checked to be ok recall on similar Chevy trucks near crash twice when the person could not tell I was stopping.

- Texarkana, AR, USA

Jan 012008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. When the contact lightly releases the brake pedal, the brake lights automatically dim. The failure was noticed while driving 10 mph. The failure occurs even though his foot is still on the brake pedal. He stated that a vehicle driving behind him will not realize that he is attempting to stop the vehicle; therefore, it could cause a rear end crash with another vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a total of five times and they acknowledged the failure, but could not repair it because it is an unadjustable shift. The contact believes that if the rear brake lights are not working, it could increase the risk of an crash with the vehicles in the rear. The failure mileage was 24,000 and current mileage was 29,500.update 09/10/08 updated 09/15/08.

- Grahm, WA, USA