2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 052010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed that the vehicle was leaking fluid from the bottom. The vehicle was taken to the an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the strut system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Wildwood , MO, USA

Aug 032014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While looking over my truck prior to inspection I discovered three cross members totally rusted thru. The are also the main supports for the gas tank and the shocks. I have been trying to find replacement parts and the more I look the more I hear how common the rusted cross members are. I went to the local dealers parts dept. And when I asked for cross members he told me which ones I needed and pointed them out on an illustrated brake down. After the truck bed was removed I noticed the emergency brake cable is rubbing against the plastic gas tank and is just about wore thru the tank to about the thickness of a plastic sandwich bag. The cable has also rubbed against it's support bracket almost all the way thru as well as into the cable.

- Forkston Township, PA, USA

Oct 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I have found that the steel lines running along the frame rails are rusting and found a patch in one place and the possibility of more leaks happening.

- Pittsfield , MA, USA

Sep 102013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Every brake gas and cooling line rusted. I have looked at other vehicles of same year and miles different makes. No where as rusted as my 06 Silverado.

- Johnston, RI, USA

Apr 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Rotten brake lines. I looked at the brake lines while changing my oil. My truck has 47K on it. I called GM. They told me that I had to bring it to a dealer. I did. They confirmed that the brake lines are bad and need to be replaced. $1500 also the transmission cooling lines are leaking. I have been through almost all of the brake problems listed on this web cite. ABS light comes on, twice, 2nd time I replaced the left hub bearing assembly. The 1st time the dealer replaced the front ABS sensors. Air bag light comes on, I replaced a bad front air bag sensor, right side. This truck is turning into a money pit!!!!! this new (rotten lines) issue is a safety issue as was the ABS issue. GM needs to do a full recall and replace the brake lines before someone gets killed.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

Aug 252011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated there was excessive noise in the vehicle while driving. The vehicle was taken to the repair shop where failure was found on the front wheel bearings. The vehicle was repaired by replacing the complete wheel bearing assembly. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure; however, no further assistance was provided. The approximate current mileage was 29,744. The failure mileage was 26,955.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jan 102008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, the steering catch fractured and caused the wheel to fracture. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised him that the power steering pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the power steering pump. In addition, the contact mentioned that the front suspension was causing wear to the front tires. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised him that the front springs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the front springs. The vehicle manufacturer was later contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 23,800. Updated 5/11/12 the consumer stated the right front frame cushion is riding on the right front lower a arm. The front suspension is not supporting the weight of the vehicle. Also, the steering gear box has a defected bearing in it which causes is it to catch when moving the vehicle. The extended warranty company and atascadero Ford outlet filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. The consumer paid $5,050 for the extended warranty. Updated 6/15/2012

- Nipomo, CA, USA

Nov 152010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

At 36,000 miles I took the truck to the dealership for a ticking sound coming from the front end when I turned. The said they replaced a broken pin in the steering box. Eight months later I began to hear a occasional growling noise when turning the steering wheel to the left on curves at speeds above 45 mph. I also began hearing the ticking noise again when making turns at low speeds. It cost me $600 to have the drivers side bearing replaced. I also had to replace the front tires for uneven wear. I have talked to 3 other individuals that own this truck ( 04 -06) and they have all had to replace the wheel bearing. GM has to be aware of this problem because wheel bearings do not wear out this quickly.

- Knob Noster, MO, USA

Oct 152008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I am writing to report what I believe to be a critical problem with the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup. It is very likely, from what I have read from other owners┐ reports, that the problem is not exclusive to the year 2006. It may well pertain to several other years for this model produced around the same time. I purchased a new Chevrolet Silverado 1500 pickup in September of 2006. Only a short time after the 36,000 mile warranty ended I had to replace the wheel bearing assembly on the passenger's side. The licensed mechanic replaced it with a universal bearing for a cost to me of $250. This was a much better price than other estimates I received. This occurred in 2008. After only 15 months, this same bearing had to be replaced again at another expense of $250. The mechanic determined in both instances that the damage was caused by extensive rust on the hubs of the assembly due to poor design of the system. The area where we live has an elevation of 4200 feet. We live along the spine of the appalachian mountains of northwestern North Carolina, where the winters are quite severe with icy roads and therefore needing to be treated with salt during much of the winter months. This rust is leading to damage to the ABS system or brake line as the salt gets into the bearing. This then is causing an unsafe condition in which a much longer stopping distance takes place when the brakes are applied. In addition, it causes a jerking or grabbing motion rather than the usually smooth movement of normal anti-locking braking systems. Today, for the third time since owning the truck, I have again had to replace one of the wheel-bearing assemblies. This time is was to the driver's side assembly which makes a replacement being needed twice to the passenger side wheel and once to the driver side wheel.

- Bakersville, NC, USA

Aug 012010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Drivers side rear axle and tire came off the vehicle, causing 2006 Silverado to wreck. Air bag did not deploy. We were on the entrance ramp to I-95 when suddenly truck turned toward concrete guard rail. After hitting rail head on and skidding across entrance ramp hitting rail ( several times) vehicle came to a complete stop. Tire and axel were (left rear-driver side) gone. Truck is totaled. Air bag did not deploy.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Jan 092009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

January 2009- excessive noise from right front of vehicle. Brought to dealer immediately for repair. Left front axle(4WD)hub/bearing assembly failed at approx 50,000 on a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. Dealer repaired at cost to me of just under $400. July 2009, similar front end noise(louder) brought to dealer and determined right front bearing/hub assembly was loose and afloat as well and needed immediate repair at a cost of $362 to me. Seems to be early failure and was definitely a safety issue if bearing came apart.

- Kittery, ME, USA

Jan 272008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving 40 mph, the contact attempted to stop the vehicle and it stalled. She took the vehicle to the dealer several times and they replaced the front suspension stabilizer shaft bracket. She took the vehicle back to the dealer and they stated that the rotors failed. The rotors are not covered under warranty; therefore, the dealer wants to charge $400 for the repair. The manufacturer confirmed that the vehicle was not under warranty and will not assist with the repair. The current and failure mileages were 56,000. Updated 03-06-09 updated 03/12/09.

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Jan 232009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Both right and left front wheel bearings/hubs failed within 2000 miles of each other, onset of problem was sudden from detection of gringing noise to wobble and possible lose of tire (approximately 3 miles) current mileage 59,500.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Sep 212006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

2006 Chevy truck with brake system and suspension problems. Customer states he has had problems with this vehicle since he purchased it. Consumer wants to have this vehicle checked. The consumer stated the brakes made a noise and would shake when coming to a stop. The consumer removed the wheels and discovered the rotors had grooved out pretty badly for a vehicle that only had 20,000 miles. When the consumer went to the dealer the last time, they informed him they would replace the brakes one more time and after that the warranty would end. Updated 12/12/2007 the consumer stated drivers front door harder to close than passenger and the consumer further stated hearing noise in lft wheel area. Updated 12/12/07

- Sylacauga, AL, USA

Jul 092007

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

My 2006 Chevrolet Silverado has a defect where the tires rub against the suspension of the vehicle whenever a turn is made. This could cause a tire to blow out causing me to lose control of the vehicle. Chevrolet says they can not repair my truck.

- Innis, LA, USA

Oct 162005

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Vehicle is a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado extended cab pickup. It has beam shake (GM term) as outlined in GM pit#3009C (06/28/06). Excessive shaking under certain conditions makes the vehicle not drivable and has caused extensive damage to shocks and shearing (replaced be GM). GM currently has no fix for this problem and has refused to repurchase the vehicle at a fair price. I will not drive the vehicle in that I believe it is unsafe. It currently is sitting at the dealers lot.

- Sausalito, CA, USA

May 032006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I purchased a brand new 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 in May 2006. I have had 9 tires replaced due to being out of round (general tires P245/70R17) the vibration is so bad. I have also had the rotors shimmied at 16,000 miles. I was just told today 4-17-07 that my truck has a frame beaming problem and no one knows what can be done to fix it. I feel that this is a safety issue and that there is a defect in my truck. Am I to keep replacing tires for as long as I own the truck?

- Statesboro, GA, USA

Jun 302006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Front end out of alignment constantly, tires wear out, dealership has replaced or refinished rotors three or more times and this problem continues, the engine while lightly accelerating make a noise, dealer said he could not hear this noise. I am trying to lemon law this vehicle because the front end is a weak manufacturer front end and not designed properly.

- W.P.B., FL, USA

Sep 082006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I have a new 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, regular cab, long bed. It has a pretty bad vibration at various speeds, but it is mostly at higher speeds, say 50 and up. The dealer has balanced the tires three times and condition remains. I told them something is out of balance. They told me the truck has a known condition called "beam shake." I have had two other similar trucks and they did not have this problem. I feel a vibration at high speed is unsafe and can lead to a dangerous situation either directly, or indirectly, by way of a failure of a part, or loss of control of the vehicle.

- Marrero, LA, USA

Aug 282006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle shimmied in the front and rear at 40-60 mph. The contact was unable to see out of the rear view and passenger side mirrors due to the severe vibration. The dealership informed the contact there was a problem with the frame on the 1999-2006 model years of these vehicles and they were unable to correct the problem. The right side door was hard to shut. Updated 09/13/06.

- Anderson, SC, USA