2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments

Jan 282014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Driving about 60 mph about 10 miles into the trip when the truck lost speed, the ABS brakes did a slight on and off pulsating every couple of seconds, the engine was running rough and giving it gas the engine revved up but wouldn't go anywhere. Speed dropped down to 35 or 40 mph and wouldn't go any faster. The dash indicator showed messages stating stabilitrak traction control turned off and check engine light is on. It jolted real hard when it shifts gears. When I mashed the brake it didn't want to come to a complete stop without pressing the brakes to hold the truck there. I pulled into a store popped the hood and finding nothing I turned the truck off for a few seconds and restarted it but nothing changed and the error messages were still being displayed. The trucks engine was running rough. I headed home and it didn't have any power and jolted hard as it shifted gears. I coudln't go but 35 or 40 mph on the level ground. If I went up a slight hill the truck slowed down more until I got past the hill. I gave it gas and the engine would rev up but had no power and wouldn't go 35 or 40 mph. I parked the truck in the garage and in 10 minutes I went to start it to get the error messages and it started up fine and the engine wasn't running rough. I drove it 1/2 mile down the road and back and it ran perfect. I googled the error messages and found alot of complaints and comments about this issue on the Chevrolet forum website. No recall information just alot of people experiencing the same issue and alot worse cases that almost caused accidents. Is there a recall on this issue? I read that I will probably have the issue again because after it sits for 10 min it probably won't have a problem until a few minutes or days later. I can only hope doesn't cause me to have a wreck and kill myself or someone else. This is a major issue and should be recalled to fix the problem.

- Denton, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

2011 Chevrolet Silverado. Consumer writes in regards to the vehicle throttle position sensor recall notice. The letter advised consumers not to take their vehicle to dealer, unless they experienced the problem. The consumer was concerned he may experience reduced engine power, while driving at night.

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 152011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. After continually depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle suddenly jerked forward. Additionally, the contact noticed the vehicle hesitated when accelerating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- Vancleave, MS, USA

Mar 132012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Speed control (cruise) does not hold. While going down an incline from the mountains, cruise control was set for 65 mph, and the vehicle increased speed to 85+ mpg before applying brake to slow down. Called dealership and took vehicle to be checked in regards to this incident, and they stated that due to the department of transportation, new emission standards that transmission was made not to hold so as not to increase carbon footprint. This causes a very unsafe condition when driving when the cruise control is engaged.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Apr 082012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle would unexpectedly accelerate without warning whether the vehicle was stopped, in drive or reverse. In addition, the engine rpms would exhibit an abnormal increase of 2000 or more when the failure occurred. On one occasion, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and the contact was unable to stop the unintended acceleration. The contact crashed into a road stump. Five passengers sustained minor injuries and a police report was filed. The dealer inspected the vehicle, but was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 14,000 and the current mileage was 14,100.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 192011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

This is a dealer demo vehicle, first 2235 miles were demo. During my first morning (12hours after picking up at dealer) of ownership I was descending down a hill with the cruise on, and the vehicle proceeded to over speed approximately 5-7mph. I travel this hill both ways to/from work daily and this happens everytime. I though this might be an abnormal adjustment within the computer/etc so while taking in to the dealer for a TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) issue I mentioned the overspeed issue to the service write up and they said that it was normal. I don't agree, but maybe it is. It does adjust back to normal cruise set speed but is unique. I had a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 previously and it did not do this, and I have drove otr (over the road) semi-trucks and know the difference with overspeed being normal and abnormal. I would like this to be looked into, as it could be a hazard that could lead to unsafe situation.

- Tomah, WI, USA

Sep 012011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

#1. vehicle accelerates when letting off gas, even while going uphill the vehicle will accelerate. You can go up a steep hill without touching the gas. Brought the vehicle to the dealership they replaced, the throttle body, gas pedal assembly. They reinstalled the original parts and told us that this was normal. We drove other 2011 Chevy Silverado's which did not do the same thing. The dealership told us that all the 2011 Chevy Silverado's accelerate on their own. #2. there is a clunking noise from the rear when driving over bumps. The dealership said this is normal backlash, and did not do anything.

- South Grafton, MA, USA

Oct 042011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

My 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has unwanted acceleration. Its been happening for apprx a month, on and off. On Tuesday 10/4/2011 I was leaving my parking space at work, I had my foot on the brake as I was turning out of the space, the vehicle just took off - accelerating without touching the gas. I then hit the brake which stopped the vehicle. I then got on the highway - (I-94) to head home, while driving on I-94 my vehicle lunged forward nearly striking the vehicle in front of me. I then backed off and kept a safe distance in the event that it happened again, sure enough - my vehicle started accelerating on its own. I realized it was doing it and had enough distance between me and the other vehicles ahead, so I allowed the vehicle to take off. My Silverado got up to about 1500 rpms at 60mph, I clearly had my foot off the brake and the gas, feet flat on the floor. I allowed it to accelerate on its own for apprx 1 minute but then had to stop. It is clearly driving itself. I drove the truck straight to the dealership and left it for the shop to look at the next day. The service dept could not re-create the problem, go figure. In the past month I've nearly hit several parked cars when pulling into parking spaces as the vehicle takes off accelerating, in these events I was also able to stop the vehicle w the brake.

- Kalamazoo , MI, USA

Jul 022011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving 10 mph, the contact applied pressure to the brake when both the accelerator pedal and brakes were engaged at the same time due to them being installed to closely together. The contact was involved in a crash. A police report was not filed nor were there any injuries. The contacts front bumper sustained moderate damage. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Frankston, TX, USA

May 012011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated while driving 10 mph the accelerator pedal became stuck; when the contact applied the brakes and the rpms increased to 1300. The contact shifted into neutral gear and the rpms increased up to 1500. The dealer performed a diagnostic test and was unable to find any failures and advised the contact to continue driving the vehicle until the engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The manufacturer was also notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,000 and current mileage was 3,000.

- Perry, GA, USA

Jan 302011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds and making a right turn, the vehicle would not slow after he tried to decelerate. He then crashed into a tree and the air bags did not deploy. The contact was not injured in the crash. A police report was filed. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 400.

- Alberqurque, NM, USA