2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments

Sep 262008

Silverado 2500 HD 8.1L

This is a 2001 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1 motor and 5 speed Allison trans. Although it is 7 years old it had only 13000 miles on it. Obviously the warranty ran out some time ago. This vehicle has never been in winter/salt conditions so there is no rust to be seen. The window got very little use prior to this as the A/C use to work very well (a different problem now).

In the middle of a trip (at a toll booth) the window went halfway down, with some grating glass sound, and stopped cockeyed in the frame. It would not move up or down although I could hear the window motor doing something. I later able to stop and raise the window by hand but I had was a ballpoint pen to jam between the glass and frame, not enough after the first bump.

When I got back home I took it to the dealer where I bought it for my free oil change and told them of the problem. I got the 'sorry about that it is out of warranty' so I asked about talking to the 'regional/area rep'....same story. In the process I learned that it would be a $400 (give or take) repair bill for them to fix it. Yiks! I now have 14000 miles on it and pieces of rubber tubing jammed between the glass and window frame to keep it up.

I just (today) ordered a 'window regulator with motor' form an aftermarket supplier for $41.95 delivered. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the door panel off to fix it myself (hopefully).

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA