2.0

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments

Aug 012016

Silverado 2500

Dashboard cracked at corner of passenger airbag creating a safety hazard if passenger airbag deploys

- Sugarland, TX, USA

Mar 222016

Silverado 2500

Vehicle has been stalling and losing trailer brakes. There is a recall on this but this particular truck did not fall in the recall. The trailer brake module on the frame rail of the truck was full of water. I has been replaced and all is good now. Could have been a very bad situation but was able to prevent an accident.

- Wilson, MI, USA

Feb 032016

Silverado 2500

The dash around the air bag has formed a crack and upon deployment of the air bag could result in sharp plastic breaking off and hitting passengers. Along with the sharp plastic it could result in the rupture of the airbag and could result in a passenger death. This is a common problem on GM dashes from 2007.5-2013. GM will not own up to the problem and it needs to be taken care of. There is a facebook page with over 6000 people with the same problem. Https://www.facebook.com/groups/gmdashcrack/?fref=nf

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Mar 142016

Silverado 2500

I have a 2008 Silverado 2500hd with 48,000 miles on it and just noticed two cracks have formed above the passenger airbag. Even though the warranty has expired I feel this is a manufacturing defect and should be replaced by Chevrolet at no charge. The vehicle has always been stored sun protected except when traveling. At that time a dash screen is used for sun protection. I contacted the Chevrolet customer assistance center immediately and they had me take my vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer for examination. I had my vehicle examined at the Chevrolet dealership on March 21, 2016. They examined the vehicle, took photos and told me they would get back to me with the decision. They did so later that day but the decision was to replace the dash which would be $1000 of which GM would be willing to pick up half, so my out of pocket expense would be $500. I refused this offer and told the dealer I would be contacting the Chevrolet customer assistance center to dispute me having to pay $500 out of pocket expense to correct a manufacturers defect. I contacted the Chevrolet customer assistance center immediately via phone and asked that the issue be elevated to the appropriate person. I provided the representative all the information she requested from me and she assured me that she would elevate the issue to the senior manager in my area and they would get back to me within 48 hours with a decision. As of this writing I have not heard back from anyone. This is a safety issue. If the airbag on he passengers side were to deploy it would sent plastic shrapnel into the driver causing severe injury. I know this to be a fact because I worked on airbag technology back in the 80's and saw videos of what occurs upon airbag deployment when particles are sent flying. Think of a straw being driven into a tree during a tornado. Same principle.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Mar 212016

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Feb 042016

Silverado 2500

The dash board is cracked around the left corner of the passengers side airbag.

- Lakeview, AR, USA

Feb 252016

Silverado 2500

My 2008 Chevy Silverado's dash is cracking prematurely. I have a low mileage, well maintained vehicle that has 2 large cracks in the dash from I assume is plastic deterioration. I feel this type of defect should not happen in a vehicle of this age and GM knows there is a defect in the materials. I've contacted the dealer but GM assumes no responsibility for the defective material.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 212015

Silverado 2500

The dash is cracked at the left corner of air bag. Afraid of pieces of dash hitting passenger if air bag deploys.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Nov 012015

Silverado 2500

The dashboard is cracked in three different places. One near the steering wheel, the other one is mid dash and the last one is near the passenger airbag. I noticed this first as I was driving down the road and later it happened while the vehicle was stationary. I would hate to know that if the passenger airbag where to go off that chunks of the dashboard might go flying and injure anyone in the vehicle.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Aug 242015

Silverado 2500

Dash is cracked at left upper corner of air bag.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Nov 122014

Silverado 2500

The driver side door will not open it just stopped no notice. The next week the windows in the back seat will go down but not up driver side has to roll up. The passenger side door lock won't work driver has to unlock.

- Pocatello , ID, USA

Sep 042015

Silverado 2500

The dashboard in the vehicle is cracking next to my airbag. If the airbag deploys it is going to send debris flying. The dashboard is extremely weak in these trucks and Chevrolet says not their problem. The current crack in my dash is approximately 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch depending on temperature. There is an obvious defect in the dashboards and from what I've read if you pay the big bucks for the fix it will crack again eventually. It would be one thing if it was cracked in a place other than next to the airbag. I hope Chevrolet is forced to take action before an airbag deploys and pieces of dash go flying through the cabin of the truck.

- Sanger, CA, USA

Jul 172015

Silverado 2500

The dashboard around the passenger air bag has cracked along the upper left outline of the air bag and the crack has ran into the air bag seam. Also on the opposite side, the dashboard has also cracked in a similar way around the instrument cluster. This crack is getting longer and running towards the air vent. I am concerned that the integrity of the air bag has been compromised and that a possible impact may cause flying pieces of plastic on both driver and passenger.

- Von Ormy, TX, USA