2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments

Oct 042014

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

On Oct 4th, 2014 I was traveling from san angelo, tx to san antonio, tx, in my 2011 3500 Chevrolet diesel pickup, pulling our 5th wheel camper. When I neared junction, tx I could smell an odor of fuel. On I-10 eb mile 456, I noticed that my fuel gauge was rapidly dropping. When I left junction, the gauge read half full. At mile marker 497, I pulled into a rest stop, because the fuel gauge had dropped to the empty mark. I got out of the truck and could see the diesel pouring off the bottom of the motor. When the dripping stopped I attempted to start the truck, but it would not start. The starter motor was running, but the fuel tank was completely empty. In that distance the truck should have used five gallons of diesel pulling the trailer. Which means that about 14 gallons were dumped onto the highway within 40 miles. My truck was towed to cecil atkission Chevrolet in kerrville, tx. The diesel technician there told me that mine would be the 4th diesel he recently worked on with a similar issue. He even showed me another diesel truck that he was currently working on, also with a fuel leak.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 272013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Message came on dic saying low def 727 miles. Did not quite know what that meant. Found out. GM says it should come on at 1000 miles. Nope. Came on 2 X 727 and 72. There is no way to check the def level. Someone realized this as the newer trucks have gauges or other ways to check. I feel this could become an issue if the vehicle goes into limp mode and no close places to purchase def. I talked to GM. They don't seem to concerned about the whole thing. A simple fix would be to make it like the transmission fluid check. Pull out the dip stick/check the fluid/add fluid if necessary through the same tube that the dipstick came out of. My truck has a tube under the hood where you add def. Again there is no way to see how much you need. You just keep adding till it spits out of the tube. I feel GM should take care of this issue with an update of some sort so a motorist vehicle suddenly starts slowing down on the highway. Thanks for your interest..

- Winnetka, CA, USA