1996 Chevrolet Tahoe cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe:

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Aug 292009

Tahoe LT 5.7L V8

I purchased my 1996 Tahoe in 2003 with 70,000 miles. After putting only 6,000 miles on it the temp light came on. I never overheated the vehicle and it never leaked a single drop of coolant. In less than one mile on the highway it pulled 2 gallons of anti-freeze in the oil. So after the bearings were fried I replaced the engine and made sure I installed the high dollar intake gaskets.

Now on the engine I have now I only put 103,000 miles on it. The engine ran like a top and I never missed an oil change. I started the car in the driveway and a lifter was knocking. I immediately changed the oil and it was watery!!! So I found out it was a little low on antifreeze. After the engine made the noise in the driveway the engine was toast! Absolutely no warning! It spun a lifter and bent a push rod while running in the driveway. I am really disappointed in GM! I will never buy one again!

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA