6.7

2. replace fuel pump assembly unit on top of gas tank (1 reports)
  3. replace fuel pump module (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Jul 102010

Tahoe V8

I COULD SMELL GAS WHEN I PARKED MY TAHOE. IT GOT MORE AND MORE NOTICEABLE. I ASKED ABOUT IT WITH MANY MECHANICS AND OTHER TAHOE OWNERS, THEY ALL TOLD ME IT IS A KNOWN DEFECT IN TAHOES.

AFTER 2 YEARS YOU COULD SMELL THE GAS INSIDE THE VEHICLE. I DRIVE MY GRAND KIDS AROUND AND WAS AFRAID IF I WERE REAR-ENDED THE CAR WOULD EXPLODE. I TOOK IT TO A GOOD MECHANIC AND HE DROPPED THE GAS TANK. THE ASSEMBLY ON TOP IS PLASTIC BUT IT HAS A METAL TOP THAT IS EXPOSED AND IT WAS RUSTED AND THE ONE LINE WAS RUSTED THRU.

WE NOW HAVE NO SMELL AND I FEEL SAFER.

- , Mcclellandtown, PA, USA

Feb 122013

Tahoe LS 4.8L V8

On 2/11/13, I started out smelling gasoline fumes from under my Tahoe. Next day, went to the local dealer, Haggerty Chevrolet, who has always done a great job on all of our Chevys. They discovered that the fumes were coming from the top of the gas tank. Upon further inspection, they found that the fuel pump module tubes on the top of the gas tank had rusted away. The service writer called and discussed the problem. He said the estimate would be $1300.00 .

Since the Tahoe was nine years old, with 79,316 miles, no GM warranty was in play. My extended warranty from Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc., was in force but excluded this type of coverage. The contract exclusion reads: ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN CAUSED BY CONTAMINATION, OVERHEATING, LACK OF COOLANT OR LUBRICANTS, LACK OF OIL VISCOSITY, SLUDGE, RESTRICTED OIL FLOW, SALT, RUST AND RUST DAMAGE, ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE, CHEMICALS.

I then called GM. They said it was an invironmental problem. I asked how I could have prevented this issue. They said to have regular service done by your local dealer. The only way to know something was going wrong would be to pull the tank down. Not a service item, I would say. It would seem to me that this is a GM design flaw. By allowing water to get to the top of the plastic gas tank and corrode the metal parts of the exposed pump module, without protecting the metal parts from corrosion is a design flaw!

Is there any history anyone knows regarding this issue?

- , Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Sep 152009

Tahoe Z/71 5.3L V8

There is a smell of gas when the car is stopped/parked. The dealer found no leaks or drips, but the odor keeps coming back.

- , Milton, NY, USA