2004 Chevrolet Tahoe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Jan 222009

Tahoe

I was approaching an intersection heading northbound, got the green arrow, so proceeded to go. My vehicle was going about 5-10 miles per hour. Another car coming the opposite way, heading southbound ran the red light going about 35 miles per hour. My air bag did not blow. I drive a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I had my 6yr old daughter in the car. We both got injuries. The other car's airbag blew. My car was crushed like tin foil and I can't understand why the air bag did not go off.

- Westmont, IL, USA

Nov 012008

Tahoe

The "service airbag" light & message came on in my 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The dealer ran test & found that the sensing diagnostic module had failed the vehicle is less than 5 years old, less than 71,000 miles. They said this was a serious safety issue because the airbag may not come out in an accident. I had them replace this module on 12/30/08 and paid them $550.49. I don't know if they still have the old part or not. This should not be an issue in an expensive vehicle at this age, we should be able to rely on airbags to function properly & safely for many more years than this. In the past two weeks I discovered that my horn will not blow which could also be a safety issue. A mechanic checked the horn and stated that it will cost at least $200. To go into the steering wheel & take it apart to find the problem. I've also taken this vehicle in a number of times because the "service tire monitor" message comes up but the dealer doesn't find a problem.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Feb 202006

Tahoe 6-cyl

Air bags of 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe spontaneously deployed upon turning the key to the on position. Driver and passenger airbags deployed. Driver was struck in chest and face, causing injuries, burns and bruising), neck, and shoulder pain. She is still seeking treatments. Also, a near miscarriage of unborn child. Regional diagnostician read black box, and no triggers were found. General Motors bought back vehicle and were waiting on settlement.

- Sanger, TX, USA

Jan 172005

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

During a side impact/roll over motor vehicle accident, no automatic safety features deployed. Full side impact to the passenger side resulted in no airbag deployment. This vehicle was equipped at additional cost, side impact airbags. In contrary to national advertising the on-star feature was also a null response. This vehicle was a total lose and non-repairable.

- Liberty Township, OH, USA