2006 Chevrolet Tahoe electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2006 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Oct 282015

Heater shorted out causing an electrical fire. Fire engulfed the whole front of the car into the front seat. The vehicle was moving down the interstate. We had the heat on setting 4. smelled like something was burning. Turned off the heater. White smoke started coming out of vents. Decided to get off at next exit and get it looked at. Pulled into parking lot, black smoke started pouring out of the vents. Within a min. Or two the front of the car was engulfed in flames.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 142015

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe. Upon starting the vehicle, multiple warning lamps illuminated on the instrument panel. While attempting to turn the vehicle off, the key became stuck and was unable to be removed from the ignition switch. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Terrabon, OH, USA

Jul 122015

Tahoe flashes service stability, stability sys disabled, turn signal on while driving. When the Tahoe flashes service stability and or stability sys disabled it shuts down completely. The Tahoe does not like being idle or turning on the air as it will shut off completely. This is a safety issue as everything locks up and you may/not can pull over in time. I don't know if this is electrical or not. A lot of folks are looking for answers when I googled the errors.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 222014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving 40 mph, the wheel warning indicators illuminated. The contact detected an odor coming from the tires. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The dealer stated that there was an electrical failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Nov 062014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the lift gate failed to unlock when using the key fob. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Sep 302014

My liftgate actuator failed, my car was not lockable I was told by GM that because of the age of my car it would not be covered. I was told it was not covered not in stock not order able. I was told to order it on line I did installed and failed in 11 days. The part was sold by doorman made in china. I buy american made products and I'm told by an american company to buy something made in china does that make sense?

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Jun 102014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Hello the 2006 Tahoe has a service airbag soon activated. It is a four wheel dr vehicle.

- Beverly, NJ, USA

Sep 182014

The rear lift gate solenoid goes bad which prevents rear window and door from unlocking. I have done extensive research online and have discovered that many people are having this same issue on 05 and 06 Tahoe, Suburban, Hummer and Yukon which I'm assuming are using the same part. This seems very dangerous in case of emergency.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

May 252012

Tahoe 8-cyl

I came out to put some items in my Tahoe, I pressed the unlock button on my remote to open the lift gate and to my surprise I could not open the door or the window!

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jan 142014

Tahoe 8-cyl

The tailgate actuator will not open the liftgate or glass on the tail liftgate. The vehicle has no key access on the external portion of the vehicle. On the inside of the vehicle there is no manual release for the liftgate. Currently I have no way of opening the liftgate or glass. If there is an accident now, the third row passengers have no means of exiting the vehicle. This is a serious safety concern.

- Coronado, CA, USA

Jul 212013

Tahoe 8-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Tahoe tail gate will not open. The key fob is the only way to unlock it-there is no key lock on the outside of the tailgate, and to my utter shock---no interior latch to unlock the tailgate from the inside. There is also absolutely no way to unlock the window separately from the tail gate. This is a serious safety hazard. I have read numerous other complaints regarding this identical issue-and am absolutely shocked that this is not a recall issue-a recall needs to be done immediately--before someone becomes trapped in a car accident or vehicle fire. Very disappointed Chevrolet has done nothing to date to solve this very dangerous problem!! I now have a vehicle that is useless-and Chevrolet needs to do whatever is necessary to resolve his defective and faulty equipment---immediately!

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Not sure exactly the date it stopped working, but the tailgate will not lock. I was told that the actuator goes bad and it would cost nearly $500 to replace. So even when I lock the doors to the vehicle, access can still be gained through the tailgate.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Apr 292012

Tahoe 8-cyl

We are unable to open the rear liftgate with the fob. So, we continued to look for a key latch and to our shock we realized it could not be unlocked manually. After a lot of frustration and anguish of trying to load groceries through the back seat and having to literally go over 3rd row seat to put groceries in cargo area, we thought how awful it would be if we needed to exit out the back door in case of an accident. We discovered we could not unlock or open the liftgate from the inside either. It gave me a very uneasy feeling as we Transport children to and from school. This problem is definitely a safety issue. We contacted a local Chevrolet dealer and they are not willing to even check our vehicle unless we fork over $120+ and then we have to wait a week for them to even look at it. This is very disheartening to us as we have always had a lot of confidence in the Chevrolet name, well we are not so sure now.

- Midland, TX, USA

Feb 042012

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The rear door lock actuator on my Tahoe has failed. My rear door does not lock at all. It is supposed to lock once I put the car in gear for safety it does not. I have the 3rd row seating and use it frequently for my kids. This is a common problem in this model and multiple complaints have been made by Tahoe owners. The only place I can find a replacement part is through GM and it is expensive to replace. This is a safety issue because of defective parts.

- Hurlburt Field, FL, USA

Aug 152011

2006 lift gate will not open after 68,000 miles, dealer wanted $500 to fix.. what a rip off also a very safety concern for children & pets...also loading short terms should have bought a (T O Y O T a ) they are built to last..end of story.. Chevy sucks.

- Apache Jct., AZ, USA

Jan 202011

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Instrument cluster problems. Started with a battery light intermittently on, with a good charge on the battery and from the alternator (both confirmed with electric meter). Also having problems with the fuel gauge. Gauge shows 1/4 to 1/2 tank, and low fuel light comes on. Filling the tank at that time takes 22-23 gallons, with a 23 gallon tank capacity. Also getting a service tire pressure warning intermittently. Checking the tire pressures, all tires show 38 to 42 psi, or occasionally the lft or lrt shows --psi. Tire pressures confirmed with a tire gauge. So far all other gauges are working good.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Nov 272010

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71. In late 2008 it began having electrical problems. Dvd player, battery drain/dead, stereo system, warning messages, and finally this last time my entire 4 wheel drive system malfunctioned both electronically and mechanically leaving us stranded for a weekend. We then had to drive home in the snow/ice thinking we had some 4 wheel drive because the light was on and no warning lights told us otherwise. We could of been killed with no 4 wheel drive in the mountains after a huge storm. I put trust in my Tahoe and it let me and my family down and now we want it gone. It has been to the dealership for a total of 17 visits and 33 days for the various problems. Even with an extended warranty we have had to pay a lot of out of pocket expenses for repairs and rental cars. I no longer trust the vehicle. I too have had the tailgate handle issue as well. 2-3 X now. GM needs to step up to the plate. I tried to get a new car from the lemon law but I was not eligible time wise. It seems the car is flawed and not fixable. It has less than 60K mi on it. If something happens I will hold GM responsible for not taking action.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Jul 122010

Rear liftgate actuator has failed. Safety issue with children in rear of vehicle and lack of access. There are many complaints about this same problem. GM should recall this part asap.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Dec 052006

Tahoe 8-cyl

We own a 2003 Chevy. Tahoe with 45000 original miles. The oil gauge initially pegged followed by the speedometer pegging at 120 mph. Other safety problems with electrical locking door.

- King City, CA, USA