2008 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

8.0

$4,754.00

2. replace engine (1 reports)
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Jul 092011

Tahoe LX 5.3L

Since approximately 2011 when I went to get my oil changed and the tech told me that there was hardly any oil showing up on the dip stick it seems that my Tahoe has used more and more oil between oil changes. I have tried many things from using oil additives to synthetic oil with no real solution. The oil consumption seems to have increased steadily to the point that its between 3-4 quarts that I have to add between oil changes. This cannot be normal. Synthetic oil is approximately $9 a quart so when I have to add 4 quarts between oil changes it gets really expensive.

- , Keller, TX, USA

Oct 272012

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

Just 5 days after new valve cover and two new plugs were installed, while traveling on family outing, Check Stabilitrak, Flashing Engine Light, misfiring began again. Car sounded like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Took back to Rose Automotive, and balance of protocol treatments were done, including replacing fouled plugs again, drying out top end of engine, and problem persisted. At this point, I was informed by Rose that the next step was to tow it to McCluskey Chevrolet and it would need pistons and rings.

I researched this issue online and found that most people are informed of this issue by their dealership/shop and get the work done under warranty. It's a problem GM has known about for over 4 years, but didn't inform their customers. The service manager at McCluskey has the same engine in his truck and had his repairs done under warranty.

I have a case file for my complaint against GM. The mileage is out of warranty, but the problem began while it was under warranty and I was never told about the ongoing problem. had I known, I would have insisted it be taken care of while under warranty. Between oil changes, i had to supplement with 1-2 quarts of oil, due to the oil consumption issue.

I've owned 9 GM cars, I'm a sales rep and I drive a lot. My contention is that GM should pay the $3000 to rebuild the engine and I believe I should be reimbursed for the $900+ I've paid for this problem with their defective engine.

Or...they should buy back my 2008 Tahoe LTZ.

- , Hamilton, OH, USA

Jan 102011

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

This was the start of the oil consumption issue. GM never told me about it - I was having my car aligned and during the test drive, the check engine light came on and flashed. The tech stopped immediately, towed it back, hooked it up to check codes, and determined it was over 2 quarts low on oil and needed an oil sending switch and gauge. I paid out of pocket for the repair.

- , Hamilton, OH, USA

Nov 242011

Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8

had a knocking sound in my Tahoe engine at 127,000 miles. I used synthetic oil in the truck from day one. I also preformed regular maintenance on the truck. The knocking sounded like metal on metal.

I took the truck to a mechanic who I have used for years and he suggested replacing the DOD lifters. So, we did. The truck had low oil pressure readings after the replacement and the knock was still there. So, we tried to replace the oil pump and bearings the remaining lifters again and replace the DOD lifters as well, thinking that would help. No help, still knocked. I am $2,600 into the truck engine at this point.

So, I go for a second opinion and both mechanics say the lifter issue is something that happened when they changes the lifters to the drive on demand system. This is where the engine shifts from 4 cylinders to 8 cylinders. This was a design for all the energy concerned soccer moms who did not want to drive a minivan and wanted a bigger truck, but wanted to feel like they were saving trees. Well........It is a major design flaw from what I understand. You take a perfectly good V-8 and shut off 8 of the 16 lifters so the other 8 are working the tail off to run the truck. So, I end up going to the dealer and guess what they wanted $7,000 plus tax to replace the engine.

I talked to a few mechanics and the said that the Jasper engine which is remake of the 5.3 provides all the belts, hoses and a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty coast to coast. The mechanics told me $6,500 to $7,500 for the Jasper installation.

I had to take a loan to get the truck fixed, but I decided to go to the dealership, because it is their truck and their engine. Especially, since I am not going to get back the $2,600 spent on the top engine repair. I have two daughters and I am on a fixed budget, so this has been a miserable experience for me, but they warranty is for 100,000 miles or 3 years on the power train, or whichever comes first. I was at 127,000 miles so almost $10K later, and I will have a new engine this Friday after dealing with this nightmare for 4 months.

I put my faith back in the Chevy on this replacement and hope I can make it last another three years and hopefully more than 127,000 miles before it dies again.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 022012

Tahoe LT 5.3L

We have (2) chevy Tahoe LT's with extras and both started to use oil, 2-4 qrts between oil changes.

This is a bunch of bull and they better step up. Or this will be the last Chevys we'll ever own and we have had many.

- , Franklin, OH, USA

Sep 262011

Tahoe LS 5.3L

I have had this chevy Tahoe for 3 years now, I have had it serviced regularly without problem or so I thought. One morning my wife calls and says there was smoke coming out the exhaust I thought it might have been condensation. I drove it the next week and when I started it, it blew out a white smoke so I knew something was wrong. I checked the oil it wouldn't even show on the dip stick so I thought it might have been because I had just started it. We left in my Nissan Titan for lunch and came back and I checked it again still didn't show any oil. I took to chevy dealership and now I have to take it back every 1000 miles for them to check how much oil it is using. They have not told me anything to fix it no recalls or anything. I hate CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They had better fix this vehicle without costing me anything or this could be a MAJOR lawsuit on there hands........

- , Fort Payne, AL, USA