2008 Chevrolet Tahoe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

May 132015

Tahoe

The dashes on a significant number of 1500-3500 series Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Sierra and Silverado model vehicles from GM are cracking all over the dash. The cracks are located specifically around the passenger airbag causing a safety issue for vinyl shrapnel being launched at passengers in the cabin upon airbag deployment. This is similar to the crisis faced by Toyota. GM is neglecting the safety of its customers by allowing this to occur. The number of vehicles experiencing the exact same cracks, down to the size and exact location, constitutes a design flaw in the location of the mounting points which is causing uneven distribution of weight as well as point stresses. If this piece was properly engineered it would distribute stress and flex properly to avoid the plastic mode of failure to which they are currently experiencing.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Jul 172015

Tahoe

All six side airbags on our 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe deployed while my wife was driving the vehicle with our two children in their rear car seats. There was no impact, bump, pot-hole or any other reason apparent to us why the airbags deployed. It was completely random. No one was injured and my wife maintained control of the vehicle to a safe stop, but she was stunned and disoriented. The damage to our vehicle is extensive. In addition to replacing six airbags, light fixtures, plastic molding, the roof panel and fabric/liner are all damaged. At this point, the dealer is not helping at all. We have contacted GM but they have not responded after 2 days. We believe this is not only a product liability issue that GM should repair, but also a major safety issue. We are all very fortunate that this did not result in a single or multi-vehicle accident, injuries related to the accident, or injuries related to the airbag deployment. We need help to ensure GM addresses this issue proactively, before someone is seriously injured or killed.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 022015

Tahoe

My air bag sensor needs to be replaced - at an astronomical price this is crazy - I have just replaced the ball joints and now I have to replace an airbag sensor in order to get an inspection sticker.....not happy

- Webster , MA, USA

Dec 042014

Tahoe

There are numerous cracks in the dashboard around the airbag. I am worried if the air bag will prematurely deploy, or will not be able to deploy as designed with the cracks. My vehicle is a 2008 Tahoe ltz. There are countless people with the same issue, with the crack in the same place. I have no idea what is going on with the electrically system and what the cracks might be doing.

- Panama City , FL, USA

Oct 162014

Airbags did not deploy...updated 11/03/14 updated 4/28/2015

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 062013

Tahoe

I purchased my Chevy Tahoe in July 2013. I was only the second owner. I did not notice right away but the dash board was cracked above the cluster. Since I purchased the card I have used a sun shade to protect the interior of the car. Since I purchased the car there has been another crack located at the passenger airbag. My main concern is if I were to get into an accident would the dash stay intact or would the cracked pieces then become similar to shrapnel? I have contacted GM customer service regarding this, all they did was set up an appointment with my local dealership and did not explain the problem. I was then contacted by the local dealership and after some time was told that there was nothing they could do for me other than paying for the repair out of pocket. They claimed it was due to the fact that I am not the original owner and my mileage is too high. However on numerous on-line forums there have been different stories and amounts people are being charge for replacing this item that is a known problem. This problem effects 2007 - 2013 Tahoe, Silverado, Yukon, denali, Sierra and Suburban.

- Sunland, CA, USA

Jun 242014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Noticed two sizeable cracks in the dashboard, one of which is right near the airbag. I researched the issue and noticed there are several other Tahoe owners that are experiencing the same thing and that it is a defect in the dashboard. The cracks seem to be getting bigger and I'm concerned pieces of the dashboard will splinter creating flying projectiles if the airbag were to ever deploy.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

May 052014

Tahoe

Driving down major street and front left tire brushed curb and the side air bags deployed. Front air bags did not deploy. Tire did not blow out and no damage to any part of vehicle.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Feb 222012

Tahoe

I had just pulled up in the driveway at my residence heading inside an I heard a noise from the vechile! when I went to see the side airbags on both side deployed! I called insurance company and they didn't cover it so contacted GM an they decided to send someone out to the place where the truck was towed! now GM decided it was a electrical problem with the sensor an they gonna fix it! the truck could be ready anytime now they were waiting on a backorder part to come in. Im still thinking if this vehicle if safe for me an my family.

- Edgard, LA, USA

Jun 172013

Tahoe 8-cyl

Air bag light has been on since we bought the vehicle and dealer told us that it is not covered under their warranty. But they did tell me that the airbags will not work if we were in an accident.

- Pilesgrove , NJ, USA

Oct 302012

Tahoe 8-cyl

Dashboard has substantial cracks at and around passenger air bag. Cracks have subsequently appeared on the dash above the steering wheel. May be associated with inadvertent deployment of air bag causing bodily harm to passenger.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 192012

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4 V8 5.3L, check air bag light came on during a routine drive and no bags deployed. Checked with dealer and they wanted $300 to clear fault code B0083 for a front sensor. Looked online and many other GM vehicles have had similar issues with this safety related device. Since it is of safety concern and there has never been an accident with the vehicle I would like the NHTSA to investigate GM airbag sensor component failures of vehicles with less than 150K miles.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Oct 052011

Tahoe 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the airbag warning light illuminated and the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic advised him that the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired for the clock spring. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised the contact that there were no recalls for his vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000. Updated 04/10/12 updated 04/11/12.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Jan 302012

Tahoe 8-cyl

There is a very large cracked area on the dashboard on the drivers side near the speedometer area. My concern is that this may some how deploy the air bag or other mechnical instruments in this area.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 132011

Tahoe 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving approximately 75 mph, the air bags inadvertently deployed and caused the contact to sustain a broke nose. The contact's injuries were treated at a local hospital. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where they were in the process of diagnosing the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 38,000. Updated 5/9/11 updated 05/18/11

- Nogales, AZ, USA

Aug 082008

Tahoe

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe ltz has had service airbag warnings displayed since the day we purchased it new from the Chevrolet dealer. Dealer repaired day of purchase and it was been returned to dealer three additional times for the same problem; service airbag light illuminates in the driver information center. We've received a different report of the problem and the solution each time from the dealer service department. The most recent time, onstar actually called the vehicle and told us they were receiving airbag warnings from the vehicle and that the airbags may not deploy in the event of an accident. There has not been an accident or injury to date, but we are obviously concerned that if there is an accident that we will not be protected. Feel free to call with any questions.

- Keymar, MD, USA