2008 Chevrolet Tahoe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012015

Tahoe

The dashboard on my Chevy Tahoe is cracking. It began with one very small crack and now it has spread to the airbag compartment. The cracks have become so bad that the airbag compartment on the passenger side has begun to protrude above the surface of the dashboard.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 272016

Tahoe

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V383000 (air bags). The dealer indicated that the remedy and parts were not available for months. The contact received the first interim notice months ago. The manufacturer was unable to determine when the remedy and parts would be supplied to the dealer. The contact was unable to determine when the vehicle would be repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Sadieville, KY, USA

May 272016

Tahoe

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags). The part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Prosper, TX, USA

Aug 022016

Tahoe

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Tracy City, TN, USA

Feb 082016

Tahoe

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V061000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jul 012016

Tahoe

My dash has cracked above the gauge cluster and above the passenger airbag.

- Warren, AR, USA

Jul 012016

Tahoe

My airbag light continue to stay on the dealership said I needed to replace seatbelts switch and airbag switch costs $550 2hours labor I'd really want to know where can I have this resolved within my budget and not be taken just for the dollar bill and or the booking. I know it's just the connector regardless $550 bit redundant

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Jan 112016

Tahoe

There is a crack in the dash that extends from the passenger side airbag area. I am concerned with the fact that if the airbag were to deploy it could propel plastic material into the cabin and at the passengers.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 072016

Tahoe

A crack appeared recently on the dashboard starting at the corner of the passenger airbag. I just hope a friend or family member is not killed if I ever were to get in an accident. I see there have been quite a few complaints regarding this. Why has GM ignored it and not started an investigation?

- Waleska, GA, USA

Jan 062016

Tahoe

Hello, there is a crack in my dashboard of my 2008 Chevy Tahoe that may very much affect the deployment of my airbag. I really and truly feel that if an accident should occur they air bag will not function properly. I just purchased from BMW in macon on 1/6/2016 and I have an expended warranty.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

Feb 152016

Tahoe

I started up my 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe ltz on Saturday and the dash cracked on the hump over the gauges. Vehicle is garage kept. Second owner to vehicle and I have never been in an accident. If air bags were to deploy could be effected. I haul my 3 children in my vehicle daily and I no longer feel safe.

- Alger, OH, USA

Jan 092015

Tahoe

Dash has cracked in multiple places. First crack is on right side of dash, top left of the air bag panel. Second crack is on left side of dash over the instrument panel. Most people don't think about a cracked dash being dangerous. However, if the airbags are deployed, fragments could become projectiles that can harm passengers. Chevrolet/GM needs to make this right.

- Bourg, LA, USA

Sep 042014

Tahoe 8-cyl

There are very large cracks on my dash board, the worst one being around the airbag plastic cover on the passenger side of the dash! you can see under the cover showing all of the components under the dash! the crack that is on the drivers side is above the steering column running from the defroster to the top by the speedometer displays, etc! I feel as if these cracks, specifically the one on the passenger side, is a huge safety hazard! without crashing, there is no way of telling if the passenger side airbag will deflate properly due to this! I feel that to find this out, it should be at no ones expense! I have filed a complaint & a claim with GM a few months ago only to be told by the dealership that GM contacted on my behalf that the responsibility is mine if I wanted this problem to be fixed! the dealership informed me that it would cost $850 to $1000 to have the dash replaced! the dealership also said that they are very aware of this problem in the Tahoe because they have replaced some dashes! GM is not taking any responsibility for their faulty equipment & refuse to issue a recall! there are thousands of other customers who I know for a fact that are also facing the same problems with their trucks & SUVS! please do the right thing & issue a recall on these faulty & cheap made dash boards! thank you!

- Orange, TX, USA

May 132015

Tahoe

The dashes on a significant number of 1500-3500 series Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Sierra and Silverado model vehicles from GM are cracking all over the dash. The cracks are located specifically around the passenger airbag causing a safety issue for vinyl shrapnel being launched at passengers in the cabin upon airbag deployment. This is similar to the crisis faced by Toyota. GM is neglecting the safety of its customers by allowing this to occur. The number of vehicles experiencing the exact same cracks, down to the size and exact location, constitutes a design flaw in the location of the mounting points which is causing uneven distribution of weight as well as point stresses. If this piece was properly engineered it would distribute stress and flex properly to avoid the plastic mode of failure to which they are currently experiencing.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Jul 172015

Tahoe

All six side airbags on our 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe deployed while my wife was driving the vehicle with our two children in their rear car seats. There was no impact, bump, pot-hole or any other reason apparent to us why the airbags deployed. It was completely random. No one was injured and my wife maintained control of the vehicle to a safe stop, but she was stunned and disoriented. The damage to our vehicle is extensive. In addition to replacing six airbags, light fixtures, plastic molding, the roof panel and fabric/liner are all damaged. At this point, the dealer is not helping at all. We have contacted GM but they have not responded after 2 days. We believe this is not only a product liability issue that GM should repair, but also a major safety issue. We are all very fortunate that this did not result in a single or multi-vehicle accident, injuries related to the accident, or injuries related to the airbag deployment. We need help to ensure GM addresses this issue proactively, before someone is seriously injured or killed.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 022015

Tahoe

My air bag sensor needs to be replaced - at an astronomical price this is crazy - I have just replaced the ball joints and now I have to replace an airbag sensor in order to get an inspection sticker.....not happy.

- Webster , MA, USA

Dec 042014

Tahoe

There are numerous cracks in the dashboard around the airbag. I am worried if the air bag will prematurely deploy, or will not be able to deploy as designed with the cracks. My vehicle is a 2008 Tahoe ltz. There are countless people with the same issue, with the crack in the same place. I have no idea what is going on with the electrically system and what the cracks might be doing.

- Panama City , FL, USA

Oct 162014

Tahoe 8-cyl

Airbags did not deploy...updated 11/03/14 updated 4/28/2015

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 062013

Tahoe

I purchased my Chevy Tahoe in July 2013. I was only the second owner. I did not notice right away but the dash board was cracked above the cluster. Since I purchased the card I have used a sun shade to protect the interior of the car. Since I purchased the car there has been another crack located at the passenger airbag. My main concern is if I were to get into an accident would the dash stay intact or would the cracked pieces then become similar to shrapnel? I have contacted GM customer service regarding this, all they did was set up an appointment with my local dealership and did not explain the problem. I was then contacted by the local dealership and after some time was told that there was nothing they could do for me other than paying for the repair out of pocket. They claimed it was due to the fact that I am not the original owner and my mileage is too high. However on numerous on-line forums there have been different stories and amounts people are being charge for replacing this item that is a known problem. This problem effects 2007 - 2013 Tahoe, Silverado, Yukon, denali, Sierra and Suburban.

- Sunland, CA, USA

Jun 242014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Noticed two sizeable cracks in the dashboard, one of which is right near the airbag. I researched the issue and noticed there are several other Tahoe owners that are experiencing the same thing and that it is a defect in the dashboard. The cracks seem to be getting bigger and I'm concerned pieces of the dashboard will splinter creating flying projectiles if the airbag were to ever deploy.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA