Print this page Notes: It's roomy, but very poor gas mileage for its class.

The EPA estimates 14MPG around town, but you'd be lucky to break double digits if you like A/C or have any hills in your town.

2012 Chevrolet Tahoe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2012 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments

Aug 192014

I was passing on a two lane high way at an accelerated speed at which time the engine dies, no lights no nothing total engine failure. Luckily I have enough momentum that I safely get around the semi and continue to be able to coast until I find a safe place to pull over. I call my local dealer who will not come tow me as I am approximately 50 miles from home although I do have GM roadside assistance. I turn off the ignition and it does restart so I manage to drive to a nearby dealership and leave it there. Nothing shows up on the computer I refuse to take it home. Should they not be able to repair this problem I will hold the dealership and General Motors 100% responsible. Thank god my daughter and I are safe but this is a tragedy waiting to happen if not resolved.

- Sandusky, OH, USA

Aug 092014

Tahoe 8-cyl

While turning left (Tahoe) with a protected green arrow at an X-shaped intersection, vehicle (Kia sedan) at fault failed to yield and entered the intersection at speeds upwards of 40 mph from the left of the Tahoe. Front-impact collision occurred; due to the shape of the intersection and the velocity of the impact, Tahoe struck passenger side of Kia sedan. Trajectory of impact caused directional changes in upwards of 90* for both vehicles; the force of the primary accident described above also caused mentioned vehicles to collide with left rear of another vehicle (Honda sedan), causing near 360* rotation of the Honda sedan. Due to the force of impact, front & side airbags deployed on both the Kia sedan and the Honda sedan, but failed to deploy on the Tahoe. Scene indicated that the Kia sedan made no attempt to brake or decrease speed prior to collision; posted speed limit at intersection is 40 mph. Force was such that after the collision, Tahoe transmission was in drive, but remained at a complete stop. Damage sustained on the Tahoe include front-end body damage, engine damage (vehicle required towing and was inoperable), and frame damage, at a minimum. In addition, engine service lights as well as onstar vehicle diagnostic reports indicate that the airbag system, antilock braking system, and the stabilitrak stability control system also sustained damage and require attention. Multiple first-responders commented on the oddity that, given the damage sustained by the Tahoe and the velocity at impact, the airbags deployed on all vehicles but the Tahoe.

- The Colony, TX, USA

May 092011

While driving approximately 70 mph. Vehicles engine and instrument panel cycled on and off randomly. Noting that once I was able to pull off the road and come to a complete stop the vehicle finally shutdown. Furthermore attempting to turn the truck on only resulted in flickering electronic equipment with no response from the engine. Two weeks following this event fortunately enough after the vehicle was parked we noticed that electric folding mirrors weren't responding to the push button actuating the folding mirrors feature. This event we were able to get on our camera phone. Same flickering of electronics and again the engine didn't respond, turn over. In both occasion it was only after sitting approximately 30min. That vehicle finally responded and turned on.

- Richardson, TX, USA