2012 Chevrolet Volt miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Volt:

2012 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Aug 202015

Volt

It all started on December 16th 2015, I had bought the car certified pre-owned with 12K miles on it. The car has been plagued with issues since day one.. the issues range from little electrical issues, to major safety concerns, all of which taking months to repair. The first issues were issues where the key fob could not be found, the car would not recognize the keys when you got in and at times you could not turn off the car. They replaced the keys over a dozen times, and replaced the central computer twice. Shortly after this the steering column failed, this happened three times, where I could not steer the car, or the worm gear randomly would miss teeth.. they replaced the column, worm gear, and rack each time. There are also issues with the charge port door not releasing, as well as a few times where the charge port shorted out my house, and charging unit requiring both the port and the charger itself to be replaced. Next was a broken exhaust manifold, where the car would leak exhaust into the car through the heat vents, they replaced the manifold, and full exhaust eventually due to random leaks in the exhaust.. next was mpg, once the weather got cold I am unable to get better than 12mpg, which GM indicates is normal.. the epa sticker indicated 30mpg city, I am getting between 9 and 12, GM will not remedy this issue, indicating it is normal.. next was the catalytic converter, which GM indicated due to the new exhaust that the old cat was broken in the process.. next was airbags, the system in the car would not pickup the passenger in the car and would at random turn off the passenger air bag.. apparently there is a software update to fix this issue. Next was the brakes, which started sticking, which they indicate since there is no code they can't fix them, I adjusted the cable myself and resolved the issue. I have all the records and will gladly send them to NHTSA

- Dublin, OH, USA

Apr 012016

Volt

2012 Volt charger has burned my outlet, and my melted it and it has been replaced twice. My seat belt buckle has broken.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Nov 142015

Volt

2012 checy Volt - experiencing issues with shifter. On multiple occasions I will shift my Volt into park but system doesn't recognize it. I try and turn off vehicle and system shows "shift into park" on screen and vehicle can not be turned off causing vehicle to run continuously and kill both 12 Volt battery and drive battery.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Oct 062015

Volt

I was making a left hand turn and was hit by an SUV who ran a red light doing about 35 or 40 miles per hour on front of my car. It hit the front of my car spinning it to the right [about 160 degree turn] when my car spun I hit the back of my head and left shoulder on the door pillar, my head hurt and I was dazed. The airbags had not gone off I hit the onstar button nothing happened I smelled burning so I turned the car off and got out. I now have a minor concussion due to the failure of the airbags to deploy.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 142015

Volt 4-cyl

Failure of the electric vehicle supply equipment (evse) has occurred for the second time since vehicle purchase in January 2013. Numerous reports of other customers experiencing this issue with the oem supplied evse.

- San Marcos, TX, USA