5.5

2012 Chevrolet Volt wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Volt:

2012 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Jul 232015

Volt

2012 Chevrolet Volt was purchased new. Tires have about 16,000 miles. Sidewalks are cracking, consistent with "dry rot". one tire the sidewall blew out while driving. Another tire has dangerous looking cracking. Tires are not that old and this level of deterioration is abnormal. Dot number 43br janr 3311 Goodyear assurance fuel max this sort of failure can lead to death or personal injury.

- Ny, NY, USA

Apr 122015

Volt 4-cyl

The tires have been on the car with correct pressures since purchase Oct 2012 and proper rotation. Pressures are monitored. On the incident date, I had driven approx 80 miles at speeds under 60 miles/hr with no heavy breaking, on smooth road, when suddenly, on the interstate, the tire began loosing pressure from 40 lbs to <34 lbs (with car warning). With pressure going steadily down, I was able to safely get off the interstate onto a side road and church, where I saw the sidewall had split with air escaping (now 24 lbs pressure). I called onstar and used the emergency pump and rubber goo to try and stop the air escaping and was successful at halting the leak, building pressure back to 29 lbs. I drove the care with onstar on line to drop off my passengers living nearby, and then had the tow truck come to pick up the car to take to the dealership. The car was delivered at the dealership with the tire pressure still at 23 lbs. I was told I would have to buy a new tire and canister, and that the occurrence was not a design problem of the tire. I had never noted any prior problems or defects in this tire, and in 45 yrs driving, have never experienced a tire failure like this. Noted is that the tire pressure is much higher than any tire I have owned. There is considerable salt put on the roads and I've had other tires I've had to replace at 5 yrs. While I knew I would need to pay for the tire, I'd asked that the tire and others be taken for a better investigation and that I had strong concerns about safety given how the tire had failed. I have notified Goodyear (ref number 145-9946) and Chevrolet - chat advisor and Volt advisor group. I also notified my insurance company usaa. On the Volt forum, there is a similar description of a sidewall leaking escaping air with the car at home.

- Rockville, MD, USA