9.5

2013 Chevrolet Volt brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Volt:

2013 Chevrolet Volt Owner Comments

Jun 062013

Volt 4-cyl

This is the second Volt I owned in a year that exhibited this issue. Upon braking and passive deceleration the car makes a loud audible whining noise coming from the engine compartment. The dealer states it is a regenerative brake bearing failure. This issue is related to the bearing cage failing causing the bearing to lose its integrity. GM-Volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17877-loud-whining-during-regen.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 112013

Volt 4-cyl

I bought a 2013 Volt 2 weeks ago. While at the cvs drive through today the car started to beep warning lights when off, brake pedal went to the floor and the car started moving forward. The brakes completely stopped working, no pumping or anything. I made it into a parking space to await for a tow truck and turned the vehicle off. When I turned the vehicle on the error messages were gone and the brake pedal felt solid again. I started to move the car and the errors came back and brakes failed again. The experience was overall kinda scary. I towed it to the dealer. 2 days later I called the dealer and they informed me that the master cylinder had failed and must be replaced.

- Howell, MI, USA

Dec 012012

Volt

Antilock feature of brakes will not engage on ice/snow unless brakes are slammed hard. At least three times, I have slid slowly through an attempted stop. It has also occurred twice while gently breaking while traveling downhill. The wheels lock up and vehicle goes into a slide. It continues to happen, but now I know to slam the brake pedal, and the antilock feature will then operate and terminate the skid and stop the vehicle.

- Wausau, WI, USA